Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennstatepride

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:41 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.

While that number seems a bit high, it's not farfetched. You have to remember that 2007-08 was the height of the legal profession, more or less. And a G'town JD speaks for itself.

Still, the point of this thread was to answer 1 simple question; why is GW hated on when its peer schools receive so much love? I see no hate on GW's peer schools, but a general distaste for GW Law. Just by reading this thread, and seeing arguments such as GW v. GULC v. Cornell, it is apparent that GW is a law school that garnishes much respect, as this debate would not even exist.

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.

While that number seems a bit high, it's not farfetched. You have to remember that 2007-08 was the height of the legal profession, more or less. And a G'town JD speaks for itself.

Still, the point of this thread was to answer 1 simple question; why is GW hated on when its peer schools receive so much love? I see no hate on GW's peer schools, but a general distaste for GW Law. Just by reading this thread, and seeing arguments such as GW v. GULC v. Cornell, it is apparent that GW is a law school that garnishes much respect, as this debate would not even exist.

The GW trolls are the only one making the comparison. I could compare myself to Lebron but it doesn't make me better at basketball because I do.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

I don't see any more hate against GW than I see against Minnesota, Forham, Wustl or Illinois, schools are are peer with GW.

Cornell and GULC are superior schools.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

I wish I'd never stumbled upon the term "biglaw."

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

HJO wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

The GW trolls are the only one making the comparison. I could compare myself to Lebron but it doesn't make me better at basketball because I do.

Wonder why the GW and GULC medians are almost identical then . . . if it really blew it out of the water and was not comparable I'm sure the "better" students wouldn't even consider GW over GULC, right???

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

A.) I never hated on GW but I will acknowledge that charging 70K/year for tuition is OD. And, let's face it, GW is not the best in its region. That said, it's a fine school.

B.) Gtown is the shit.

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

The GW trolls are the only one making the comparison. I could compare myself to Lebron but it doesn't make me better at basketball because I do.[/quote]

Wonder why the GW and GULC medians are almost identical then . . . if it really blew it out of the water and was not comparable I'm sure the "better" students wouldn't even consider GW over GULC, right???

So now your argument is GW=GULC?
Last edited by HJO on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

A.) I never hated on GW but I will acknowledge that charging 70K/year for tuition is OD. And, let's face it, GW is not the best in its region. That said, it's a fine school.

B.) Gtown is the shit.

The tuition is in the 40's. COL is what you make it.

ersh1428

Postby ersh1428 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

HJO wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

If you're referring to me, since I started this thread, I'm really no GW troll. I'm an 0L who is trying to understand the perceptions of the various schools, placing particular weight on cost analysis. At no point did I, or anyone else, say that GW was exactly equivalent to GTown or Cornell. What I've been trying to understand that when all parties are well regarded, all will get you a job if you do well, and one of them costs a hundred thousand dollars less than the others, why people on TLS scoff at the idea of choosing GW, which, despite not being T14 or necessarily elite, is still an excellent, very well-regarded school.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:47 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
NayBoer wrote:GW is number 3 in a crowded market, has an enormous class of graduates competing for jobs, and takes precedence behind the gigantic festering mass of Georgetown JDs. Even UVA at median is supposedly iffy for DC.

A hiring partner in DC once told me that when they look to schools for recruiting, they really look to GPA/LSAT medians. They do care about name brand of school, but care more about quality of students (i.e. the gpa/lsat medians). So, in terms of GW and GULC, GW is basically equal to GULC. Just going to GULC will not land you a job over a GW grad; these schools do compete with each other for jobs at the same firms, as they are seen as equals in the eyes of most firms.

GW is at 167/3.76 compared to GULC's 170/3.7. UChi's is 171/3.76. Ie: the gap between UChi and GULC is smaller than the gap between GULC and GW.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

HJO wrote:

So now your argument is GW=GULC?[/quote]

No, my argument is that GW is closer in quality to GULC than you are to Lebron.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:48 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
HJO wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:[

GULC:3.7-168

GW: 3.6-165

Not almost identical.

Harvard 3.86-172

Are gulc and harvard almost identical?

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm

If you're referring to me, since I started this thread, I'm really no GW troll. I'm an 0L who is trying to understand the perceptions of the various schools, placing particular weight on cost analysis. At no point did I, or anyone else, say that GW was exactly equivalent to GTown or Cornell. What I've been trying to understand that when all parties are well regarded, all will get you a job if you do well, and one of them costs a hundred thousand dollars less than the others, why people on TLS scoff at the idea of choosing GW, which, despite not being T14 or necessarily elite, is still an excellent, very well-regarded school.

Bolded is the difference, we're not all going to be in the top 10%.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm

GW is also going to get trashed for not owning a secondary market. Minn owns MSP and WUSTL owns STL. UIUC, Fordham and GWU are all #3 in primary markets.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:51 pm

Not almost identical.

Harvard 3.86-172

GW has a 167 LSAT median, fyi.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 pm

NayBoer wrote:GW is also going to get trashed for not owning a secondary market. Minn owns MSP and WUSTL owns STL. UIUC, Fordham and GWU are all #3 in primary markets.

Valid point.

EDIT: However, I think many people would still choose GW over WUSTL, UIUC, and Fordham (especially when talking about a general prestige in the legal market).
Last edited by pennstatepride on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HJO

Postby HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 pm

LSN has it at a 165, I can't find it on GW site.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

NayBoer wrote:GW is also going to get trashed for not owning a secondary market. Minn owns MSP and WUSTL owns STL. UIUC, Fordham and GWU are all #3 in primary markets.

Exactly. Where do you fall back to when your school's biggest market isn't available? Maybe GW places OK in NYC, but Columbia>=HYS>CN>T14>Fordham>BC/BU>=GW. If you can't get into your own market easily with your class rank, you're not going to fare well in NYC picking up the scraps.

Plus, GW then competes with Vandy, WashU, Emory, and all the rest of the T15-30 schools looking to reach for NYC. Not the greatest prospects for any of those schools for that reach outside of the top x%.
Last edited by stratocophic on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortissimo

Postby fortissimo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

HJO wrote:

LSN's info is a couple years old. GW raised its medians significantly this past year after getting pwned by USNews counting the PT class.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

pennstatepride wrote:

Not almost identical.

Harvard 3.86-172

That was old data, maybe.

GULC is 170. GW is 167.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA5244.pdf
http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchRes ... BA5246.pdf

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

pennstatepride wrote:I was talking about common knowledge being 35%. So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.

Vault 100 placement from 2005 OCI: http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

14 Georgetown 34.4%
18 GWU 12.5%

So if 35% at GW got some sort of biglaw job with 13% being in the V100, isn't it quite believable that 70% at GULC got some sort of biglaw job, with 35% being in the V100?

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:57 pm

HJO wrote:

That is what the school is reporting as the 1L median for this year.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

ABA says 166, 167 full time 163 part.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”