Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:37 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
Ragged wrote:
keg411 wrote: There is NO doubt that CG >>> GW. Especially as COL in Ithaca will be way cheaper and it's far more portable than a GW degree and while not a member of the T13, GULC is just the better school in GW's own market.




Wow that's some hard anti-GULC trolling. But GW is a member of T28. Therefore GW is superior to GULC.


You're so funny. Did you think of that all on your own?


Why the hate, dood?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:39 pm

It's okay GWers I couldn't get into GULC either.

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:It's okay GWers I couldn't get into GULC either.


GULC>GW, but GW=GULC for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It's okay GWers I couldn't get into GULC either.


GULC>GW, but GW=GULC for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time.


This is exactly the type of a comment that prompts the GW bashing.

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Ragged wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It's okay GWers I couldn't get into GULC either.


GULC>GW, but GW=GULC for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time.


This is exactly the type of a comment that prompts the GW bashing.


Well, it's a matter of fact; GW does yield good jobs and does place well,especially on the East Coast. I'm not so sure what was so wrong about my previous statement.

User avatar
Ragged
Posts: 1509
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:39 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby Ragged » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
Ragged wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:It's okay GWers I couldn't get into GULC either.


GULC>GW, but GW=GULC for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time.


This is exactly the type of a comment that prompts the GW bashing.


Well, it's a matter of fact; GW does yield good jobs and does place well,especially on the East Coast. I'm not so sure what was so wrong about my previous statement.


I personally don't have a horse in this race, but from what I've read GW=GULC most of the time is what sets some people off their handle.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 pm

pennstatepride wrote:Well, it's a matter of fact; GW does yield good jobs and does place well,especially on the East Coast. I'm not so sure what was so wrong about my previous statement.


Vault 100 2L SA placement (in 2006):

14 Georgetown 34.4%
16 Texas 28.7%
8 Boalt 27.7%
15 UCLA 19.9%
27 Illinois 19.1%
17 Vanderbilt 19.0%
17 USC 18.4%
22 Notre Dame 18.3%
32 Fordham 15.3%
18 GWU 12.5%


That is not to say that GW doesn't yield good jobs and place well, but rather that job opportunities out of GW are nowhere near equal to the job opportunities out of GULC.

There is a much narrower gap between U of Chicago and NU than between GULC and GW, both in terms of prestige and placement, and I'd never say that: "U Chi>NU, but U Chi=NU for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time."

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:00 pm

14 Georgetown 34.4%
16 Texas 28.7%
8 Boalt 27.7%
15 UCLA 19.9%
27 Illinois 19.1%
17 Vanderbilt 19.0%
17 USC 18.4%
22 Notre Dame 18.3%
32 Fordham 15.3%
18 GWU 12.5%



Honestly, Vault means absolutely nothing to many people. If I can make market outside of a V100, I personally consider that just as good as market at a V100. Just my opinion though. So, these %s kind of skew GW's job placement into firms that pay at or around market, and that are generally considered to be "good/great" jobs.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:03 pm

pennstatepride wrote:Honestly, Vault means absolutely nothing to many people. If I can make market outside of a V100, I personally consider that just as good as market at a V100. Just my opinion though. So, these %s kind of skew GW's job placement into firms that pay at or around market, and that are generally considered to be "good/great" jobs.


V100 firms tend to be, with the exception of a few highly-selective litigation boutiques, more selective than non-V100 firms. If 3x as many GULC folks can find jobs at V100 firms, you can bet they have a much better shot at getting a job at any firm that pays market. Especially ITE, the placement of schools into any sort of biglaw firm is going to resemble it's placement in prior years into V100 firms.

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:10 pm

rayiner wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:Honestly, Vault means absolutely nothing to many people. If I can make market outside of a V100, I personally consider that just as good as market at a V100. Just my opinion though. So, these %s kind of skew GW's job placement into firms that pay at or around market, and that are generally considered to be "good/great" jobs.


V100 firms tend to be, with the exception of a few highly-selective litigation boutiques, more selective than non-V100 firms. If 3x as many GULC folks can find jobs at V100 firms, you can bet they have a much better shot at getting a job at any firm that pays market. Especially ITE, the placement of schools into any sort of biglaw firm is going to resemble it's placement in prior years into V100 firms.


I understand your logic, and know that Gtown grads can get those non V100 jobs; what my point was is that many GW grads secure non-V100 jobs as well, and in the big scheme of things, have good job prospects in general. Sure, GULC has better job prospects, but GULC is a t14. The point of this thread was not to say GW=GULC, but rather to say that GW doesn't deserve much of the hate it has been receiving on TLS; because, in part, GW does give you t14 opportunities, such as biglaw, which many GW students can attain. That and that alone is enough to argue that GW is deserving of more respect on TLS.

insidethetwenty
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:00 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:00 pm

pennstatepride wrote:GULC>GW, but GW=GULC for me in terms of getting me a great job. I'm sure this is the case most of the time.


pennstatepride wrote: The point of this thread was not to say GW=GULC, but rather to say that GW doesn't deserve much of the hate it has been receiving on TLS



Like I've said already, GW doesn't get hate because it's GW. It gets hate because of statements like the second sentence in the first quote above. Whether or not you meant to, you are implying that GW and GULC are roughly equal objectively, when truly the only time they are equal is when a personal situation dictates it.

If you want a school that truly doesn't deserve the hate it gets around here, read a little about Duke on TLS...

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:57 pm

pennstatepride wrote:BTW, I am a nerd for having an argument about schools,during school hours, on an online forum about schools.


FTFY!

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:48 pm

rayiner wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:Honestly, Vault means absolutely nothing to many people. If I can make market outside of a V100, I personally consider that just as good as market at a V100. Just my opinion though. So, these %s kind of skew GW's job placement into firms that pay at or around market, and that are generally considered to be "good/great" jobs.


V100 firms tend to be, with the exception of a few highly-selective litigation boutiques, more selective than non-V100 firms. If 3x as many GULC folks can find jobs at V100 firms, you can bet they have a much better shot at getting a job at any firm that pays market. Especially ITE, the placement of schools into any sort of biglaw firm is going to resemble it's placement in prior years into V100 firms.


When the conversation is about "job prospects" in general, why must we only point to V100 firms and firms that pay market? The terms "biglaw" and "V100" are just douchey 0Ls' conception of what will bring them prestige. Salaries that are below the market can still enable one to live more than comfortably. Furthermore, it's quite possible that at firms other than "biglaw" and "V100," recruiters will pay just as much attention, if not more, to students from lower-ranked schools as students from prestigious schools under the assumption that the latter will feel the work is beneath them, and will leave after a short amount of time. My personal experience talking to such recruiters is that this is the case.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:52 pm

You're all missing the point. What REALLY matters is Vault 73 placement.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Blindmelon wrote:You're all missing the point. What REALLY matters is Vault 73 placement.



BU is the Fordham of Massachusetts...

Yale>Harvard>BU

thegor1987
Posts: 323
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby thegor1987 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Cornell if you're serious about NY/NJ. People in NYC haven't heard of GW


Have those people ever applied to Law School?

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby holydonkey » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:You're all missing the point. What REALLY matters is Vault 73 placement.



BU is the Fordham of Massachusetts...

Yale>Harvard>BU


Yale is in Connecticut.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:04 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:When the conversation is about "job prospects" in general, why must we only point to V100 firms and firms that pay market?


Because (1) that data is much more widely available in a reliable form; (2) that data is a good proxy for placement power.

Obviously GW placing 12.5% in V100 firms doesn't mean that only that many people get good jobs out of GW, but GULC placing 34.4% shows that GULC has a lot more placement power, since folks who can get V100 jobs can probably get those non-V100, non-market jobs.
Last edited by rayiner on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm

holydonkey wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:You're all missing the point. What REALLY matters is Vault 73 placement.



BU is the Fordham of Massachusetts...

Yale>Harvard>BU


Yale is in Connecticut.


Many Yale grads flood Boston, if not New York.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:You're all missing the point. What REALLY matters is Vault 73 placement.



BU is the Fordham of Massachusetts...

Yale>Harvard>BU


Yale is in Connecticut.


Many Yale grads flood Boston, if not New York.


Uh.. and GW is the BU of DCand Fordham is the GW of NY or DC or, whats your point again? They're all peer schools. Who cares?

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby T14_Scholly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:21 pm

rayiner wrote:...folks who can get V100 jobs can probably get those non-V100, non-market jobs.



As I said, my personal experience could indicate otherwise. This statement is a big assumption.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Uh.. and GW is the BU of DCand Fordham is the GW of NY or DC or, whats your point again? They're all peer schools. Who cares?


I personally don't care but you're the asshat who deems which schools are worthy to attend and which schools aren't.

My grand point is that unless you attend Yale, stop dissing other schools that may not be "good enough".

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:BTW, I am a nerd for having an argument about schools,during school hours, on an online forum about schools.


FTFY!


lol thanks. But I mean, we are all on the same forum . . .

User avatar
pennstatepride
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:25 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:
rayiner wrote:...folks who can get V100 jobs can probably get those non-V100, non-market jobs.



As I said, my personal experience could indicate otherwise. This statement is a big assumption.


It could also be an inferiority complex of sorts; maybe a hiring partner from a tier 2 school (at a non-vault mid-size firm) feels that people at elite schools are douches and/or envies them. If this is the case, they may not hire a T20 grad, but instead hire from schools that they are comfortable with; this may result in a firm full of non-T20 schools (which by the way is the case at many successful firms).

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:BTW, I am a nerd for having an argument about schools,during school hours, on an online forum about schools.


FTFY!


lol thanks. But I mean, we are all on the same forum . . .


fair enough...but I wouldn't be sitting in class worrying about getting on TLS for an argument about schools.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: juzam_djinn, monsterman and 5 guests