Why All The GW Hate On TLS? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HJO

Bronze

Re: Why All The GW Hate On TLS?

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

ersh1428 wrote:Thing is, New Yorkers most certainly know about GW. Maybe not in Duluth, but in New York it's both disingenuous and seriously hyperbolic to imply no one's heard of GW. And in response to why GW places most of its class in DC, that's probably because that's where most of the class wants to be. They currently place about 18% in New York, but I'm sure that if 25% wanted New York, they'd probably get it.

And speaking to Georgetown in particular, how is worth an extra hundred grand to go to a school in the exact same market with a slightly better reputation. It's not the difference between a ranking of 14 and 60. It's typically 14 and 20. I'm really just trying to understand why that's worth the extra year's salary.
Like every school, I am sure that there is self selection into the home market which is DC, but bolded part is hard for me to believe ITE. NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country. If OP wants NYC and picks GW with $30,000 with whatever made up scholarship offer he is using to illustrate a point over Cornell that is a dumb decision. Ithaca will have a COL (and obviously a QOL) so much lower than DC, that money really wouldn't be as much of a savings as it sounds. Also if there are strings attached to money etc. GW gets shit on because it is a really expensive regional with little portability compared to most of the T14.
NYC

Columbia
NYU
Cornell
rest of the T14
Fordham
GW

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

25% of GW couldn't get DC ITE.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:20 pm

The funny thing is that in previous years when GW was 20, people on TLS loved GW. Last year, choosing GW over GULC with just a little money was a no brainer, b/c we were talking about schools ranked 14 and 20 in the same location. People on this board are just brainwashed by US News rankings; this will prove true if GW bounces back to 20 and TLS falls back in love with the school.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:21 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:No one at WLRK did UG or JD at GW. Sucks
I don't think so. Please see below:

EDWARD D. HERLIHY (Partner, Corporate)
[Hobart College , B.A., 1969]
[The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1972]

THEODORE A. LEVINE (Of Counsel, Corporate)
[Rutgers University, B.A., 1966]
[The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1969]
To be fair, it's funny you bothered to look when I was so obviously trolling.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

HJO wrote:
ersh1428 wrote:Thing is, New Yorkers most certainly know about GW. Maybe not in Duluth, but in New York it's both disingenuous and seriously hyperbolic to imply no one's heard of GW. And in response to why GW places most of its class in DC, that's probably because that's where most of the class wants to be. They currently place about 18% in New York, but I'm sure that if 25% wanted New York, they'd probably get it.

And speaking to Georgetown in particular, how is worth an extra hundred grand to go to a school in the exact same market with a slightly better reputation. It's not the difference between a ranking of 14 and 60. It's typically 14 and 20. I'm really just trying to understand why that's worth the extra year's salary.
Like every school, I am sure that there is self selection into the home market which is DC, but bolded part is hard for me to believe ITE. NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country. If OP wants NYC and picks GW with $30,000 with whatever made up scholarship offer he is using to illustrate a point over Cornell that is a dumb decision. Ithaca will have a COL (and obviously a QOL) so much lower than DC, that money really wouldn't be as much of a savings as it sounds. Also if there are strings attached to money etc. GW gets shit on because it is a really expensive regional with little portability compared to most of the T14.
NYC

Columbia
NYU
Cornell
rest of the T14
Fordham
GW
Kinda hard to say its regional when upwards of 50 CA firms come to our OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:23 pm

pennstatepride wrote:The funny thing is that in previous years when GW was 20, people on TLS loved GW. Last year, choosing GW over GULC with just a little money was a no brainer, b/c we were talking about schools ranked 14 and 20 in the same location. People on this board are just brainwashed by US News rankings; this will prove true if GW bounces back to 20 and TLS falls back in love with the school.
Amen.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

I think its a reaction to the TTT legal market. It is expensive which doesn't help when jobs are anything but plentiful. There's a thread 'round here asking which schools are worth sticker and I remember there were a good amount of people saying HYS or T6. So I think all around people (especially the hyper competitive overachieving bred for success people at TLS) are being more and more cautious which translates into even more praise and adoration over the creme de la creme schools and accusations of TTT'ness of "lower" ranked schools like GW. I visited GW awhile back and really enjoyed it. I think its a quality school where you'll get a quality education. It's all a cost/benefit analysis IMO. What you want to do stacked up against debt, how likely you are to get a job paying X, etc. Do what's right for you. For some it's HYS or bust and for others going to Fordham is the best thing for them. Diff strokes for diff folks IMO.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 pm

pennstatepride wrote:The funny thing is that in previous years when GW was 20, people on TLS loved GW. Last year, choosing GW over GULC with just a little money was a no brainer, b/c we were talking about schools ranked 14 and 20 in the same location. People on this board are just brainwashed by US News rankings; this will prove true if GW bounces back to 20 and TLS falls back in love with the school.
No, I disagree. The OP's argument is that GW with money is greater than or equal to Cornell or GULC at sticker. In many cases that isn't not true.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
HJO wrote:

NYC

Columbia
NYU
Cornell
rest of the T14
Fordham
GW
Kinda hard to say its regional when upwards of 50 CA firms come to our OCI.

Interviews don't mean jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:27 pm

What was the class rank cut off for big law at 2009 OCI?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Around 35% generally, although I landed a job not ranked in the top 35%.

EDIT: this was from 2 years ago when I did OCI. This past year I have no experience with cut offs.
Last edited by pennstatepride on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm

HJO wrote:
No, I disagree. The OP's argument is that GW with money is greater than or equal to Cornell or GULC at sticker. In many cases that isn't not true.
So you're saying that it would be a mistake to pick GW with $$ over GULC at sticker?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:29 pm

GW is number 3 in a crowded market, has an enormous class of graduates competing for jobs, and takes precedence behind the gigantic festering mass of Georgetown JDs. Even UVA at median is supposedly iffy for DC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

HJO wrote: Like every school, I am sure that there is self selection into the home market which is DC, but bolded part is hard for me to believe ITE. NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country.
...NYC is still by far the largest market and the easiest to get into, even ITE. It is a lot easier to get into than DC.
Last edited by fortissimo on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:32 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
HJO wrote:
So you're saying that it would be a mistake to pick GW with $$ over GULC at sticker?
Depends on how much $ and what you want to do.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

EDIT: this was from 2 years ago when I did OCI. This past year I have no experience with cut offs.
Two years ago at GULC, more than 70% of the class at GULC got a biglaw job out of OCI.

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm

HJO wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:
HJO wrote:
Depends on how much $ and what you want to do.
So in general, you think GW is not worth it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 pm

NayBoer wrote:GW is number 3 in a crowded market, has an enormous class of graduates competing for jobs, and takes precedence behind the gigantic festering mass of Georgetown JDs. Even UVA at median is supposedly iffy for DC.
A hiring partner in DC once told me that when they look to schools for recruiting, they really look to GPA/LSAT medians. They do care about name brand of school, but care more about quality of students (i.e. the gpa/lsat medians). So, in terms of GW and GULC, GW is basically equal to GULC. Just going to GULC will not land you a job over a GW grad; these schools do compete with each other for jobs at the same firms, as they are seen as equals in the eyes of most firms.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm

rayiner wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Two years ago at GULC, more than 70% of the class at GULC got a biglaw job out of OCI.
And for that reason reason alone its probably worth 150K dollars more in tuition.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 pm

rayiner wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I was talking about common knowledge being 35%. So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:36 pm

fortissimo wrote:
HJO wrote: Like every school, I am sure that there is self selection into the home market which is DC, but bolded part is hard for me to believe ITE. NYC is the most saturated legal market in the country.
...Most saturated, yes. But it is still by far the largest market and the easiest to get into, even ITE. It is a lot easier to get into than DC.
My point is that it's a lot easier with a degree from Cornell than GW. I'm not sure NYC is the easiest market to get in the country but w/e.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:37 pm

pennstatepride wrote:So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.
While that number seems a bit high, it's not farfetched. You have to remember that 2007-08 was the height of the legal profession, more or less. And a G'town JD speaks for itself.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

I was talking about common knowledge being 35%. So you're saying that in 2009 top 70% were a lock for BigLaw? Come one.
No, but the 35% from two years ago means nothing either.
Last edited by HJO on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
A GULC 2L posted that 1/3 of GULC 2Ls got a job at the 2009 OCI...don't know how accurate that is.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
rayiner wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

No, he said two years ago, just like you. Neither of you were referring to last year. Pretty safe to assume that the numbers scaled down proportionately ITE, meaning it's likely that GULC still blows GW out of the water in terms of biglaw placement.

Edit: Particularly if the DC market's as saturated as rumors hold. Once you get past HYS, UVa, GULC, and the rest of the T13's at above median/top quarter/whatever, it's probably only then that we get to anyone at GW who's not top 10% and law review.
Last edited by stratocophic on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”