GW sticker v. Cardozo $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jk11287

GW sticker v. Cardozo $$

Postby jk11287 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey everyone,
I had a really rough cycle (I'm a splitter-3.3./169) and was so grateful to get into GW that I was all set to put down my deposit, despite paying sticker. After I got rejected from GULC, GW became my top choice; I want to work in DC for awhile but might ultimately want to end up back in NY (or might not) because that's where my family is.
Anyway, I just received an offer from Cardozo 32k/yr. Is it worth it to take the money and go to a school ranked 25 spots lower? I'm interested in breaking into the cultural heritage area of law, and my gut feeling is that GW would open more doors to big firms involved in landmark cases of this sort, but paying sticker would suck.

Any thoughts?

OperaSoprano

Re: GW sticker v. Cardozo $$

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:44 pm

jk11287 wrote:Hey everyone,
I had a really rough cycle (I'm a splitter-3.3./169) and was so grateful to get into GW that I was all set to put down my deposit, despite paying sticker. After I got rejected from GULC, GW became my top choice; I want to work in DC for awhile but might ultimately want to end up back in NY (or might not) because that's where my family is.
Anyway, I just received an offer from Cardozo 32k/yr. Is it worth it to take the money and go to a school ranked 25 spots lower? I'm interested in breaking into the cultural heritage area of law, and my gut feeling is that GW would open more doors to big firms involved in landmark cases of this sort, but paying sticker would suck.

Any thoughts?

If you want to work in DC, definitely go to GW. For your numbers, Cardozo should be offering you a full ride, and I wouldn't take anything less. You will still have to do well to get biglaw at GW, but you'll have a fighting chance at it, whereas getting DC biglaw from Cardozo might be quite a bit harder.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Yeah, I really liked a full ride but at this point, I'm happy just to get anything. Everyone told me I would be completely safe at Fordham and wound up getting waitlisted.
Last edited by jk11287 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

jk11287 wrote:Yeah, I really liked a full ride but at this point, I'm happy just to get anything. Everyone told me I would be completely safe at Fordham and wound up getting waitlisted and, in a personal conversation with someone from the admissions committee, was essentially told that they doubted I could handle law school.

:shock: Really? What did they say? You can PM me if you don't want to post details. Anecdotally, applications were up a ton this year; some people have said nearly 50%. I can find out, since I've been very surprised by the waitlists I've seen this cycle. I don't know if I would've gotten in, had I applied this year. Your numbers should be WL/IN, though. One of my friends got in over the summer with a 169/3.1.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Sent you a PM.

Even though they're not exactly comparable schools, is there any chance I might be able to use Cardozo's offer to try to squeeze a little money out of GW?

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 pm

jk11287 wrote:Sent you a PM.

Even though they're not exactly comparable schools, is there any chance I might be able to use Cardozo's offer to try to squeeze a little money out of GW?

I heard GW doesn't care about other school's offer and leverage almost never works....

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:08 am

nooyyllib wrote:

I heard GW doesn't care about other school's offer and leverage almost never works....

Doesn't hurt to try...I'm toying with the same idea...I got a full ride from Cardozo and might try to leverage for some and/or more money from a few other higher ranked schools, GW included. It's not like they'll rescind the acceptance or anything, might as well put the cards on the table.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:13 am

therealfp wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

Doesn't hurt to try...I'm toying with the same idea...I got a full ride from Cardozo and might try to leverage for some and/or more money from a few other higher ranked schools, GW included. It's not like they'll rescind the acceptance or anything, might as well put the cards on the table.

Yeah, I already resigned myself kind of to paying sticker, so any money they wanna give me, even like a goddamn giftcard to the bookstore, I would sort of view as just a bonus.

NY88

Postby NY88 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 pm

I would visit Cardozo before you write them off. They are fairly strong in NYC.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:29 pm

NY88 wrote:I would visit Cardozo before you write them off. They are fairly strong in NYC.

Yep

Return to “Choosing a Law School”