UNC vs UGA vs IU all sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where to go?

UNC
53%
UGA
21%
IU-B
26%

Total votes: 57

lawhawk

UNC vs UGA vs IU all sticker

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:24 pm

So i recently got accepted in to UNC (OOS) and am anticipating acceptances from UGA (OOS) and IU-B (In-state). I'm really not sure where I want to live so it's a tough choice. I go to UNC for undergrad and really like it here (the south) but I also like Indy. Right now they're all about even except UNC may be a bit higher on my list. UGA in-state 2L tuition is easy to get and assuming I can get in-state 2L tuition at UNC since I have a job here, will change my drivers license and registration and have been here for undergrad, what should I do?

bceagles182

Re: UNC vs UGA vs IU all sticker

Postby bceagles182 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm

lawhawk wrote:So i recently got accepted in to UNC (OOS) and am anticipating acceptances from UGA (OOS) and IU-B (In-state). I'm really not sure where I want to live so it's a tough choice. I go to UNC for undergrad and really like it here (the south) but I also like Indy. Right now they're all about even except UNC may be a bit higher on my list. UGA in-state 2L tuition is easy to get and assuming I can get in-state 2L tuition at UNC since I have a job here, will change my drivers license and registration and have been here for undergrad, what should I do?

If you're in-state for Indiana, go there. The schools are all closely ranked and so assuming they're all sticker, Indiana will be the cheapest.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:33 pm

IU in-state = 24,000
UNC oos = 29,000. In-state is like 13,000

even if its out of state the diff. is negligible

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:35 pm

What drew you to UNC for undergrad? If you still like the area and intend on staying then UNC is the choice. Really these all depend on where you want to go. A few people in the UNC thread have posted that it's not as hard to get in state 2nd and 3rd year as TLS says it is. Take a look, make a call.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:38 pm

Southeast or Indy!? It's really impossible to choose without some idea of where you want to practice, the schools are all ranked closely enough that location is going to be your deciding factor.

millieb

Postby millieb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

From what I hear, IU is pretty hard to get in state tuition your 2nd and 3rd year. But if that's not the case and it's not a big deal to you, I would go to IU if it were my decision.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:39 pm

haha I know that's the problem. I'm indecisive...as others could attest to I'm sure. Does one have more portability than the others?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:46 pm

lawhawk wrote:haha I know that's the problem. I'm indecisive...as others could attest to I'm sure. Does one have more portability than the others?

I think UNC has the most portability. I'd take UNC.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

deadpanic wrote:
lawhawk wrote:haha I know that's the problem. I'm indecisive...as others could attest to I'm sure. Does one have more portability than the others?

I think UNC has the most portability. I'd take UNC.

That's what I thought more or less. I know IU is ranked 23, but it appears that anything past the t14 is regional and is "ranked" on reputation more than the actual rankings. I think UNC has the best reputation (?)

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:51 pm

fyi: this poll is of no help right now lol

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I voted UNC because of reputation but I'm not really sure how much better it is than UGA in the South (which is where they will both place you). I haven't gotten into UNC, but am starting to prefer UGA over it because they feed into the ATL legal market which I'd say is more promising than anything directly connected to UNC in NC.

married0L

Postby married0L » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:11 pm

Let me preface this by saying I have no interest in living outside the south (except maybe out West in Colorado) UGA is very portable throughout the south (so is UNC). However, UGA has much better ties to Atlanta and UNC is tied more to NC and Charlotte. You can get a job with both, but Atlanta is the biggest legal market in the South (not including DC in this discussion). With that in mind, I have multiple friends at UGA who have some great summer opportunities lined up from Birmingham to Atlanta to Greenville, SC to Charlotte.

I would prefer UGA over UNC for practicing in the South but you probably can't go wrong with either. I just feel it has a stronger alumni base in the best legal market in the South and arguably just as much name recognition as UNC (although I am sure some will dispute this).

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Location, money, and location.

UNC will give you the edge for NC/SC. It's probably also the most "nationally portable". Though it's arguable as to whether schools past about the T18-20 are really "nationally portable".

UGA will give you the edge for GA and maybe at some points in FL.

IU-B will give you the edge for Indy if that's where you want to be.

TN/AL is probably a push between UNC/UGA.

You might also want to take the cheapest option. That's usually a good bet.

TarHeel11

Postby TarHeel11 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:39 am

Congrats from a fellow Hoosier-turned-Tar Heel. You'd be a good candidate for in-state tuition your second year here if you change over all your docs, work in N.C. this summer and the summer after your first year. One of the biggest factors in getting residency is showing a commitment to stay in North Carolina post-grad and so doing your summer internships here can help a lot.

I think as others have mentioned, figuring out where you want to work is probably the deciding factor. If you want to go home to Indiana after graduation, you should think strongly about IU-B. If you want to stay in N.C., take UNC, etc. Although going to one and working in the other state is not impossible. I've run across a couple of IU-B law grads in N.C. and I know of three or four recent UNC law grads working in Indy.

A couple of things to consider: The Mickey Maurer School of Law's top 25 ranking is new and is largely the result of a pair of $25 million gifts two years ago giving them cash to play some games with the numbers U.S. News thinks is relevant. It remains to be seen whether they'll hang on to that or slide back to the 30-35 range they've historically occupied.

From anecdotal evidence (friends and family that went to IU-B School of Law and friends who've gone to UNC) my experience is that UNC has a great deal more portability outside of its core markets, particularly D.C., Atlanta, and New York. I also know a number of UNC people who've been able to land good jobs in Chicago, Houston, Miami, L.A., San Francisco, and Boston. While people I know who went to IU-B found it difficult to land jobs outside the Midwest. Take it for what it's worth -- one Internet poster's anecdotal experience with both schools.

Center2450

Postby Center2450 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

I dont have anything to add with the UGA portion but was just accepted to UNC (no scholarship info yet) and IU (15k). Still IU would be more expensive than UNC sticker. I am from Florida, completing undergrad Texas, but no major attachment to either place. My biggest concern is mobility (as mobile as possible) with my law degree. I just don't want to get trapped somewhere. I understand that UNC has a little more national prestige, I assume based off of undergrad rep and sports - but in terms of law firms nationally, does the top 25 IU ranking really pan out over UNC? The last anecdote by Tarheel 11 is what I assumed to be the case - but was wondering what other opinions people had.

In regards to both admissions offices, I have found IU to be way more friendly and involved in recruiting. The packet they sent was much more impressive with a personal note included and phone call - whereas UNC sent a simple email and then a plain letter, thats it. Is this in any way indicative of the environments at the schools? Is IU more personal and UNC less caring? Or is it just the nature of their admissions offices? Thoughts/comments?

SweeneyTodd

Postby SweeneyTodd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Center2450 wrote:I dont have anything to add with the UGA portion but was just accepted to UNC (no scholarship info yet) and IU (15k). Still IU would be more expensive than UNC sticker. I am from Florida, completing undergrad Texas, but no major attachment to either place. My biggest concern is mobility (as mobile as possible) with my law degree. I just don't want to get trapped somewhere. I understand that UNC has a little more national prestige, I assume based off of undergrad rep and sports - but in terms of law firms nationally, does the top 25 IU ranking really pan out over UNC? The last anecdote by Tarheel 11 is what I assumed to be the case - but was wondering what other opinions people had.

In regards to both admissions offices, I have found IU to be way more friendly and involved in recruiting. The packet they sent was much more impressive with a personal note included and phone call - whereas UNC sent a simple email and then a plain letter, thats it. Is this in any way indicative of the environments at the schools? Is IU more personal and UNC less caring? Or is it just the nature of their admissions offices? Thoughts/comments?

I was accepted to UNC and plan to attend. I am also from NC, currently live here and I can say that admissions office isn't reflective of the environment at UNC in the least. I would suggest you take a visit or at least attend an ASD. I do wish they put a little more effort into presentation. I was accepted to Notre Dame and they treat admitted students great. I'm talking a box of admitted student materials with a notebook and folder of information about the school, weekly to bi-monthly email correspondence from current students that are from your hometown or area, meetings with alumni...it really makes a prospective student feel wanted and valued. UNC does a really poor job of this. But if you visit UNC you will see why Chapel Hill is such a great college town and why students take so much pride in attending (I say this as an undergraduate alum of another ACC university :lol: ).

If I hadn't spent so much time at UNC as an undergraduate I probably would have the same questions as you considering the vibes the law school gives off with the admissions process and lack of recruiting enthusiasm. I have friends that attended UNC Law, they had a great experience and are currently employed, practicing attorneys. But hey I would try to visit each school if possible. You could find that one school has awesome recruiting and a more friendly admissions office, but when you show up the school is unorganized or really crappy in other ways. There are two threads with UNC Law students answering questions, you may want to read over that and message one or post a question.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=110950

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=101249

Return to “Choosing a Law School”