So you're not t-14 - How are you choosing your place?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Great Satchmo

So you're not t-14 - How are you choosing your place?

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Since the national schools are not an option, locale seems to be a more weighty question. Not only is this a question of "where do I want to live for the next 3 years", but more likely at least a few additional years and then some.

Scholarship differences between schools, since not enormous, are not having the effect on me I thought they may. It's more a question between schools in the same area/market.

I'm between a few places:

San Francisco Bay Area: USF/SCU/(possibly GGU if scholarship is right - Hastings/Davis would seal the deal). I went to college in Sonoma county and LOVED it, worked at Stanford and lived in Mountain view for a while, and have been living in the city since then. I love the city, and the suburbs of the area will provide somewhere to move if/when I get tired of living in SF.

San Diego - USD. I grew up in SD and my family is still there. There are some health issues in my family and I've grown closer than I've been with them in a long time, so I'm starting to feel like I should try to be around. I'm really conflicted by SD, I grew up there and was the brooding kid, but maybe it's not that bad? I have 2 family members that are practicing attorneys, plus my father is a retired attorney, all practiced solely in SD.

Boston - Northeastern/Suffolk. I've been to Boston a handful of times and really liked visiting. The city is young and there is a lot going on, plus there is this underlying history all around. I feel like Boston is the San Francisco of the East. I could see moving here, but I feel like there needs to be initial impetus to pick up and move away from all of the friends and familiarity I've built since moving to college.

NY, LA, etc - As much as NY is appealing since I'm all about the city, unless Fordham took me PT, I dunno if I'd feel enough reason to go for whatever reason. LA can suck it, I think.

I feel like the SD/SF/Boston options are relatively equitable. I just turned 25 and feel like, at this point, the life commitment is significant.

I need some input or reflection!

tallboone

Re: So you're not t-14 - How are you choosing your place?

Postby tallboone » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:25 pm

This is a completely personal decision for you, but as for the schools you mentioned, USD has, without doubt, the best placement in its region, due to the fact that there are no t-14 schools in southern CA and LA/OC is a huge market to absorb UCLA/USC grads. Unless you get into Hastings, I would say go to USD, be close to family, and really have a great shot at some high-paying San Diego jobs.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:36 pm

tallboone wrote:This is a completely personal decision for you, but as for the schools you mentioned, USD has, without doubt, the best placement in its region, due to the fact that there are no t-14 schools in southern CA and LA/OC is a huge market to absorb UCLA/USC grads. Unless you get into Hastings, I would say go to USD, be close to family, and really have a great shot at some high-paying San Diego jobs.

Also, note: I am looking at business/corporate law.

And this is, unfortunately, one of the pieces of information that makes this more difficult. Considering that I will have some debt, I am concerned about finding gainful employment. San Diego is less desirable than SF and Boston, but a fair margin, however the family and the situation of USD in the market are compensatory (although not in a fun way).

I know it's personal, but I suppose I was hoping that some people could chime in with their own experiences/thoughts with questions like this.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm

I'd say unless you're being offered $$$ scratch Boston. Though the legal market in the northeast is pretty large, Northeastern and Suffolk are drowned out by numerous better schools in the region including Harvard, BU, & BC, as well as U Conn, Yale, and the NY T-14's. Also neither school has a significantly strong placement rate for those that want corporate/big law. However, Northeastern is strong if you'd ever consider public interest.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:42 pm

carlkenneth wrote:I'd say unless you're being offered $$$ scratch Boston. Though the legal market in the northeast is pretty large, Northeastern and Suffolk are drowned out by numerous better schools in the region including Harvard, BU, & BC, as well as U Conn, Yale, and the NY T-14's. Also neither school has a significantly strong placement rate for those that want corporate/big law. However, Northeastern is strong if you'd ever consider public interest.

Unfortunately almost every desirable city is a saturated market, including San Francisco (Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, Davis, USF, SCU, GG).

I did get into San Diego, with no money so far (or really expected), which doesn't seem to be the normal market.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:50 pm

Hmm maybe San Diego. I've read its a pretty city and you already have at least some family contacts there that could help you out. If its between USD and San Fran and the money is about equal and you have some contacts in SD, I'd go with SD, but you likely know the markets there a hell of alot better than I do. Good luck

Return to “Choosing a Law School”