NYU vs HLS for someone who loves NYC Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BlueCivic

Bronze

NYU vs HLS for someone who loves NYC

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi all--

So I have a pretty happy dilemma: I'm choosing between NYU and HLS. I know that the jobs that I am likely to want are better from HLS: i'd like to leave the door open for academia (depending on how much i like/am good at the law), and higher level federal government jobs. I'm not interested in working at a big firm.

But: I love New York City and I would love to live in Brooklyn or the Village for 3 years of my mid-twenties. I think that the opportunity to live in such a great place is something that I do not want to take lightly. I also have a lot of friends in NYC. Its three pretty important years of a person's life and I don't want to be blinded by the name.

So what are people's thoughts on the opportunities out of NYU for those types of jobs (academic, selective government jobs, etc). Has anyone made a similar choice and has advice?

What do people at HLS think about the Cambridge area? What do people at NYU think about the opportunity to pursue the type of work I'm looking at?

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm a finalist for one of NYU's full scholarships
Last edited by BlueCivic on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

softey

New

Re: NYU vs HLS for someone who loves NYC

Post by softey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:51 pm

it's only 3 years?

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm

OP, if I had your preferences, I would leverage the H acceptance into $ from N, enjoy the Village, profit. Happiness is way underrated on these here boards. Academia makes things tricksy but all I can say is that the NYU faculty is at least as strong as that of Harvard so if you can get buddy buddy with some of those profs and get them to go to bat for you, you stand a decent chase (assuming you were top of the class, as you would have to be anywhere for academia).
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyering

Bronze

Post by lawyering » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 pm

BlueCivic wrote:Hi all--

So I have a pretty happy dilemma: I'm choosing between NYU and HLS. I know that the jobs that I am likely to want are better from HLS: i'd like to leave the door open for academia (depending on how much i like/am good at the law), and higher level federal government jobs. I'm not interested in working at a big firm.

But: I love New York City and I would love to live in Brooklyn or the Village for 3 years of my mid-twenties. I think that the opportunity to live in such a great place is something that I do not want to take lightly. I also have a lot of friends in NYC. Its three pretty important years of a person's life and I don't want to be blinded by the name.

So what are people's thoughts on the opportunities out of NYU for those types of jobs (academic, selective government jobs, etc). Has anyone made a similar choice and has advice?

What do people at HLS think about the Cambridge area? What do people at NYU think about the opportunity to pursue the type of work I'm looking at?

Thanks!

Personally, I think it would be crazy to take NYU sticker over HLS just because you like NYC and have friends there. If NYU gave you $$, that would be a different story. Cambridge is fantastic, and HLS will definitely give you better post-grad opportunities. And it's a quick flight or a 4-hour bus ride from Boston to NY...I know people who do it every other weekend or more.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 pm

3 years away from NYC and a lifetime job on 8th avenue > 3 years in NYC and not being able to get in a job in any of the 5 boroughs after

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:58 pm

^ Yes because obviously NYU = unemployment in NYC, right? Ummm, something is wrong with this statement, can't quite put my finger on it.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm

kittenmittons wrote:3 years away from NYC and a lifetime job on 8th avenue > 3 years in NYC and not being able to get in a job in any of the 5 boroughs after
That's a bit of an exxageration for a school ranked #5 isn't it?

questions

New

Post by questions » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 pm

sdfsdfsadf
Last edited by questions on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:01 pm

I would definitely go with HLS. You can move back to NYC after your graduate... it's only 3 years. If you had a big scholly that would be a different story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Is this thread a joke?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:03 pm

adameus wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:3 years away from NYC and a lifetime job on 8th avenue > 3 years in NYC and not being able to get in a job in any of the 5 boroughs after
That's a bit of an exxageration for a school ranked #5 isn't it?
Ask NYU 2Ls below median

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Ha. Not a joke. I'm looking to the collective wisdom of the internets for advice.

I'm probably not getting major money from NYU. Who knows but I'm certainly not counting on it.

I'm counting on LRAP/LIPP and new fed loan forgiveness laws to help me out on debt.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:05 pm

OP, did you apply for the RTK scholarship?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:07 pm

Yup (on RTK) but not counting on it.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:09 pm

BlueCivic wrote:Yup (on RTK) but not counting on it.
Well if you get the RTK, I easily could see choosing NYU, for your career goals.

Also, I don't know why you're discounting your chances -- if you got into Harvard, you obviously have stellar numbers.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Go to Harvard, you'll be back in NYC in three years if you want to be.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

BlueCivic wrote:Hi all--
i'd like to leave the door open for academia (depending on how much i like/am good at the law), and higher level federal government jobs. I'm not interested in working at a big firm.
I would pick Harvard. Obviously, NYU is a great school. If you just wanted a firm, I'd say to pick it., due to your preference But Harvard is clearly superior in placing people in academia, and "higher level federal government jobs" are mostly in DC, not in NYC. Most of NYU's hiring advantage over the T14 schools ranked below it evaporates when you leave NYC. From my (admittedly very limited... just a lowly 3L who has summered at a DC firm and will be going back) experience, NYU doesn't appear to be much of a force in DC. I'm sure some of that is self-selection, since a lot of NYU people prefer NYC. But if I wanted a federal government job, I would feel a lot more confident coming from Harvard.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:17 pm

You're on crack

Seriously, the rankings whores on this board crack me up!

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks all. Anyone make a similar choice?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:18 pm

You can fail pretty hard at HLS and still get a good job. You'd be crazy to pass that up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:22 pm

reverendt wrote:
You're on crack

bro, i think he would have still scored better than you on the lsat had he literally been on the rock while taking the test.

hth.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:23 pm

reverendt wrote:
You're on crack

Saying that HLS provides substantially better opportunities than NYU is not rankings trolling.

hth.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:
reverendt wrote:
You're on crack

bro, i think he would have still scored better than you on the lsat had he literally been on the rock while taking the test.

hth.
Also 2.8 in lit and communication is approaching Dwater level fail.

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 pm

hey now everybody be nice

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”