Thoughts on Campbell Law in Raleigh

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TarHeel2010

Thoughts on Campbell Law in Raleigh

Postby TarHeel2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:18 am

Any current campbell students on these threads?

How about other NC applicants that have applied to UNC, Wake, Campbell.....what are your pros and cons of each school?

The Zeppelin

Re: Thoughts on Campbell Law in Raleigh

Postby The Zeppelin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:31 am

As a NC resident, I didn't consider Campbell due to their high tuition/rank. It would make more sense to apply to NCCU.

UNC - outside of Duke, the best choice for in-state. Relatively cheap tuition and strong reputation.
Wake - decent choice. Great faculty/staff, but Winston-Salem is blah. Couldn't justify going here over UNC unless absolutely free.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 am

I live in NC and I have known a couple Campbell Law students. IMO, if you're choosing between UNC/Wake and Campbell, there is no way you can choose Campbell, even if you get a full ride there. The job prospects are incomparably better with UNC or Wake. Campbell is a school for people with T4 numbers.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

It seems to be a pretty good school for a T4 and has a good reputation around the state.

But, if you don't get any good money to attend, there is really no reason to attend. Even then, they are kind of stingy with scholarship $, so if you get money from them, you will probably get in UNC or Wake. There is no way I would pay sticker for the 4th best school in NC.

TarHeel2010

Postby TarHeel2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:29 pm

thanks!

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:44 pm

I don't know.....Been accepted to Campbell the last two years.

Waitlisted last year at UNC with OOS residency. (This year, I have residency status at UNC so here's to prayer)

Accepted at WF and NCCU (don't sleep on their clinics).

Campbell has a great staff, and the new facilities in Raleigh are fantastic. You don't really have that college atmosphere, if that's what you want, b/c of the move. However, their private firm prospects are pretty nil, and they really seem to try to kill you your first year. I know a lot of current and past students.

I'll be visiting WF soon, later this month. I'll save posts for later, but everyone seems to love the professor/student closeness.

Just like a lot of others, I'm still waiting on some word from UNC.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:48 pm

MarineKappa wrote:Accepted at WF and NCCU (don't sleep on their clinics)..

If you got into Wake, no reason to attend Campbell, unless you have a full ride with no stipulations.

MarineKappa

Postby MarineKappa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 pm

deadpanic wrote:

If you got into Wake, no reason to attend Campbell, unless you have a full ride with no stipulations.

Yeah, I feel you, but I'm kind of partial to Campbell b/c that was my undergrad. I also met a lot of their staff, and I love their new Dean. This is going to be a second career for me so I'm not really gravitating to just the "name game" schools. I just want to be in some sort of comfort for the next three years with all the madness of school.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm

MarineKappa wrote:
deadpanic wrote:

Yeah, I feel you, but I'm kind of partial to Campbell b/c that was my undergrad. I also met a lot of their staff, and I love their new Dean. This is going to be a second career for me so I'm not really gravitating to just the "name game" schools. I just want to be in some sort of comfort for the next three years with all the madness of school.

Call it the "name game" if you wish, but schools with better reputations get you better job opportunities, and that's generally why they are ranked higher. I don't know about you, but I'll abandon the comfort of my alma mater in a second in order to get a better job after LS.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 am

The Zeppelin wrote:As a NC resident, I didn't consider Campbell due to their high tuition/rank. It would make more sense to apply to NCCU.

UNC - outside of Duke, the best choice for in-state. Relatively cheap tuition and strong reputation.
Wake - Best choice. Great faculty/staff, but Winston-Salem is blah. Couldn't justify going here over UNC unless you want to save money and have a better shot at BIGLAW than you would at UNC (see: NLJ250 2009).

Fixed. Your welcome.

women'ssoccer

Postby women'ssoccer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 am

Wake Forest has better NJL250 Stats and Better Clerkship hiring than UNC for '09 (UNC had 5 get Clerkships, WFU had 10---also, take into account that WFU's wonderfully small class size means that there were about 80 fewer ppl from Wake competing for those Clerkships).

Gotta love WFU, particularly given their penchant for big scholarships.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:12 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
The Zeppelin wrote:As a NC resident, I didn't consider Campbell due to their high tuition/rank. It would make more sense to apply to NCCU.

Wake - Best choice. Great faculty/staff, but Winston-Salem is blah. Couldn't justify going here over UNC unless you want to save money and have a better shot at BIGLAW than you would at UNC (see: NLJ250 2009).

Fixed. You're welcome.

Fixed.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Fixed. You're welcome.

Fixed.

Touché

Return to “Choosing a Law School”