Living Expenses during Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
oberlin08

Living Expenses during Law School

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am

For those of you going to or planning to go to a law school in an expensive city - NYC, DC, Boston, San Fran etc, I have a question:

How much per month do you plan to live off of? (Rent $$ Included)

newyorklaw23

Re: Living Expenses during Law School

Postby newyorklaw23 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:13 pm

oberlin08 wrote:For those of you going to or planning to go to a law school in an expensive city - NYC, DC, Boston, San Fran etc, I have a question:

+1

Obviously things like rent will vary depending on everyone's situation. But i'd love to hear how much a single, independent student can expect to pay for food, clothes, transportation, household expenses, the occasional night out etc. each week/month in a major city.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 pm

I want to know too, just so I can justify eating out a lot since I live somewhere relatively cheap.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:50 pm

I think it's a pretty difficult question because "fun" expenses, food, etc can be pretty variable and you decide a lot of that beyond the basic.

I, personally, look at housing as the biggest determination.

I'm single and live in downtown SF. I pay under $700 for a room, and you can find things in the $700-$800 range pretty readily.

Plus, transit = ditch the car, Muni passes are $60 (until they raise it again, blah) - which gives you unlimited rides on buses/some underground.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:53 pm

oberlin08 wrote:For those of you going to or planning to go to a law school in an expensive city - NYC, DC, Boston, San Fran etc, I have a question:

Varies greatly by those cities. NYC/DC are much more expensive than Boston (I don't know anything about San Fran). I go to BU, and live right next to a T stop in a fun area and pay 650$ a month for 1 room in a 3 bed 1 bath. Electric is about 10$, internet about $6 a month. $60 a month unlimited transport. I spend about 30$ a week on groceries, and $20-30 on beer/eating out.

When I lived in DC, I payed 1,000$ a month rent, lived farther from the metro, and spent more on transportation. When I lived in NYC, I paid even more than that.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:01 pm

The biggest variables are getting roommates or a single, getting a car vs taking public transportation, eating out vs cooking at home, and entertainment. I would say the absolute minimum would be $1000/month, but you could easily spend $2000/month in NYC.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:41 am

im_blue wrote: but you could easily spend $2000/month in NYC.

I might add San Francisco and maybe DC to that

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 am

Blindmelon wrote:When I lived in DC, I payed 1,000$ a month rent, lived farther from the metro, and spent more on transportation. When I lived in NYC, I paid even more than that.

I'm shocked you can find even a moderately respectable (studio/one bedroom?) place in DC for $1000 a month without living in Anacostia or something. To make matters worse, Metro 1) Sucks 2) May kill you 3) Will certainly delay you and 4) Does not offer any sort of unlimited pass. It's pay per trip, period. Minimum costs during rush hour, one way are about $1.85 I think. Adds up quick.

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:01 am

Blindmelon wrote: I spend about 30$ a week on groceries, and $20-30 on beer/eating out.

Rice and beans?

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 am

LawandOrder wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:When I lived in DC, I payed 1,000$ a month rent, lived farther from the metro, and spent more on transportation. When I lived in NYC, I paid even more than that.

I'm shocked you can find even a moderately respectable (studio/one bedroom?) place in DC for $1000 a month without living in Anacostia or something. To make matters worse, Metro 1) Sucks 2) May kill you 3) Will certainly delay you and 4) Does not offer any sort of unlimited pass. It's pay per trip, period. Minimum costs during rush hour, one way are about $1.85 I think. Adds up quick.

You can get a 7day pass

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 am

oberlin08 wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:

You can get a 7day pass

How much does one of those cost? I get subsidized by work so I'm not getting one, but just curious. I wasn't aware they existed.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:38 am

LawandOrder wrote:

I lived with another guy in a 2 bed 1 bath... was about a ten minute walk to the metro. During the summers, it was awful.

msoftceo wrote:
Blindmelon wrote: I spend about 30$ a week on groceries, and $20-30 on beer/eating out.

No. Best thing to do before LS is learn how to cook and eat cheaply. Lots of pasta/rice/frozen vegetables/eggs, etc. Its completely doable.
Rice and beans?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:02 am

it's looking like rent at my OC dorm will be around 1250 (including utilities, thank God)... for a 350 SF prison cell. Where I live you can rent a medium sized two story house + a basement + huge closets and living rooms + 2 full bath rooms for less than that.

I plan on eating well. So around 360 per month for food

transportation will be negligible (hopefully cause I'm so close to campus)

entertainment + socializing= 300 a month

1250+360+300= 1910 = :shock: FM wallet

KJ5490

Postby KJ5490 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:29 pm

LawandOrder wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:

You can get a 7day pass

How much does one of those cost? I get subsidized by work so I'm not getting one, but just curious. I wasn't aware they existed.

I used to get the 7 day passes when I interned in DC last summer. I forget the exact price but it was some where around $35. It was by far the cheapest option and worked at all hours unlike some of their day pass options.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:44 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
im_blue wrote: but you could easily spend $2000/month in NYC.

I might add San Francisco and maybe DC to that

You can easily spend $2k/month in rent in SF, but you'll be paying for a very nice place.

Or, you can spend $600-$800 (realistically) for a place in SF, and it'll be fine. No, it won't be a 1 bedroom or a studio, but living frugally is about making choices. I'll get a 1BR or studio when I'm dating someone I want to move in with, or when I'm making solid money (not for a long time, on either account, is my guess).

How people spend $1,200 a month on rent is beyond me...I mean, I know *how*, I just don't know *why*.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:47 pm

Borhas wrote:

it's looking like rent at my OC dorm will be around 1250 (including utilities, thank God)... for a 350 SF prison cell. Where I live you can rent a medium sized two story house + a basement + huge closets and living rooms + 2 full bath rooms for less than that.

Are you attending Hastings (looks like it in your profile)?

If so, I'm sure the Hastings tower is convenient, but I live literally 3 blocks away and pay $670 for a room (3 bedroom, 1.5 bath). It's not the most upscale area, but the house in nice...I can't imagine spending $1,250 when it's coming out of loans.

millieb

Postby millieb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:52 pm

How do you feel about living in the ghetto?

heathbar88

Postby heathbar88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:56 pm

In a place like NYC, the best way to save money is through housing since that is the largest expense you will have. I'd recommend visiting for a couple weeks & using CRAIGSLIST (not a broker) to find an apt--I mean reply to like 20+ ads a day/visit 4-5 apts a day and I can almost guarantee you will be surprised at how much less you end up paying than others. I've lived here for 4 years and recently moved out of a 3br/1 bath apt in an elevator building w a 24hr doorman in Midtown East where I only paid $900/month. I just move to the UES over the weekend and am paying $750 including utilities in a 3BR/1bath elevator/doorman building and I have a huge bedroom.

2 of my best friends also live on the UES (but on the border of Spanish Harlem), they each pay $1250 for a 2BR/1bath, have small rooms, no elevator or doorman & currently have a mouse infestation in their apt. There are deals. Work hard & you'll find em.

You can't really get around the $89 monthly subway pass if you use the subway on a daily basis. For food, try to cook/bring it with you, because you will blow $10 on a simple lunch at cosi/hale & hearty/insert fave lunch place here.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm

millieb wrote:How do you feel about living in the ghetto?

Satchmo, you must live in the Tenderloin, easily the most dangerous part of SF and one of the most touch-and-go neighborhoods in any major US city. I wouldn't live there, regardless of how cheap it is.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:12 pm

crackberry wrote:

Satchmo, you must live in the Tenderloin, easily the most dangerous part of SF and one of the most touch-and-go neighborhoods in any major US city. I wouldn't live there, regardless of how cheap it is.

Actually I'm across Market in SOMA, off of 6th street (which is where the Tenderloin trickles down).

But, to be fair, the Tenderloin is not the most dangerous part of SF - Bayview/Hunters Point are the most dangerous places. The Tenderloin is a bunch of homeless drug-addicts that generally could care less about you. I've walked through the middle of the TL at 3 a number of times and it was a non-issue.

There is a lot of homelessness and drug use, but those are not inherently tied to crime against people who are uninvolved. If you pick up any sense of self-awareness in the neighborhoods, you will be fine.

Although, I will admit that I would not recommend a woman/girl to live where I do or in the TL, unless they feel comfortable with the area. It's not that they are less able, it's more that they may be more a target for harassment (had girls I was dating get yelled at while walking to my place).

Still, you can EASILY find housing for cheaper in nearby, nicer neighborhoods. However, either way, you are going to be in the TL almost daily for school...so you have to get used to the homelessness sooner or later.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Actually I'm across Market in SOMA, off of 6th street (which is where the Tenderloin trickles down).

But, to be fair, the Tenderloin is not the most dangerous part of SF - Bayview/Hunters Point are the most dangerous places. The Tenderloin is a bunch of homeless drug-addicts that generally could care less about you. I've walked through the middle of the TL at 3 a number of times and it was a non-issue.

There is a lot of homelessness and drug use, but those are not inherently tied to crime against people who are uninvolved. If you pick up any sense of self-awareness in the neighborhoods, you will be fine.

Although, I will admit that I would not recommend a woman/girl to live where I do or in the TL, unless they feel comfortable with the area. It's not that they are less able, it's more that they may be more a target for harassment (had girls I was dating get yelled at while walking to my place).

Still, you can EASILY find housing for cheaper in nearby, nicer neighborhoods. However, either way, you are going to be in the TL almost daily for school...so you have to get used to the homelessness sooner or later.

True, forgot about Hunters Point. Yeah I dunno, I guess if price were my main concern, I'd much rather live in the Mission than anywhere else in SF.

flowylime

Postby flowylime » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm

Rent: $700 (split tiny 1 br with SO)
Utils: $140 (cable, internet, cell phone, electric)
Food: $200
Metro: $120
Misc: $100

So, $1300 in DC minimum. I'm an 0L right now, so the remainder of my pay goes to undergrad loans (le sigh).

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:27 pm

crackberry wrote:

LOL @ Tenderloin being one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in any US city. You must have never been to LA, Chicago, Detroit, Philly, or any much larger city with real ghettos. I agree it's bad for SF, but it's mostly homeless drug addicts and prostitutes, not drug dealers on every corner, gang wars, and drive-bys.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Are you attending Hastings (looks like it in your profile)?

If so, I'm sure the Hastings tower is convenient, but I live literally 3 blocks away and pay $670 for a room (3 bedroom, 1.5 bath). It's not the most upscale area, but the house in nice...I can't imagine spending $1,250 when it's coming out of loans.

yes you are right. I'm going to live their the first year at least, but after that I'll go for cheaper.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”