Temple($15,000) vs T1 schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
easylv

New

Temple($15,000) vs T1 schools

Post by easylv » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:25 am

I was debating between Temple, American, W&L, Wisconsin, and UC Davis, and I've been leaning toward American as I'm interested in something international and I figured I'd be still better off in a big market, though I know D.C. is a very competitive one. But then things got a bit more complicated as Temple offers me a $15,000/year scholarship. Although I'm out of state, with the scholarship, I'd only need to pay about $13,000/year, which is pretty attractive, given I'd have to pay like $40,000/year at American. I hear that Temple has a pretty solid reputation in Philly, and as long as I can meet my career goal there(which is doing international stuff), I wouldn't really mind living there for a while. Any thoughts on this?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Re: Temple($15,000) vs T1 schools

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:40 am

While DC is a very large market, Philly isn't exactly peanuts.

I think Temple would be the best option here.

If you're borrowing money, the difference would be about $900/month for 10 years.....

Good Luck.
Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:56 am

easylv wrote:I've been leaning toward American as I'm interested in something international
Lol.

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 am

Are we talking 15k total at temple or 15k a year? Temple is one of the few T2s that I actually have a significant amount of respect for, but it is also my duty to troll for Wisconsin. If you have any shot at getting instate at Wisconsin (defer and work for a year?) That will rapidly get your tuition down to 15k a year which is very doable.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:55 am

easylv wrote:I was debating between Temple, American, W&L, Wisconsin, and UC Davis, and I've been leaning toward American as I'm interested in something international and I figured I'd be still better off in a big market, though I know D.C. is a very competitive one. But then things got a bit more complicated as Temple offers me a $15,000/year scholarship. Although I'm out of state, with the scholarship, I'd only need to pay about $13,000/year, which is pretty attractive, given I'd have to pay like $40,000/year at American. I hear that Temple has a pretty solid reputation in Philly, and as long as I can meet my career goal there(which is doing international stuff), I wouldn't really mind living there for a while. Any thoughts on this?
please, please do not pay sticker at American.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 am

gwuorbust wrote:
easylv wrote:I was debating between Temple, American, W&L, Wisconsin, and UC Davis, and I've been leaning toward American as I'm interested in something international and I figured I'd be still better off in a big market, though I know D.C. is a very competitive one. But then things got a bit more complicated as Temple offers me a $15,000/year scholarship. Although I'm out of state, with the scholarship, I'd only need to pay about $13,000/year, which is pretty attractive, given I'd have to pay like $40,000/year at American. I hear that Temple has a pretty solid reputation in Philly, and as long as I can meet my career goal there(which is doing international stuff), I wouldn't really mind living there for a while. Any thoughts on this?
I forgot to include this. Never ever ever go to American. The DC market is pretty much saturated with graduates from better schools. International Law only exists for HYS on up. American is a trap.

JayTal

Bronze

Post by JayTal » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 am

gwuorbust wrote:
+1000000

ITE, I'd take the money at Temple. American is behind the likes of GULC, GW and W&M, in a legal market that is already saturated with T-14 grads. I personally can't stomach the thought of paying sticker at American and then having COL on top of that. Ouch.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 am

My advice is go to temple if no one else offers you more. I've had friends who went American and while it's good it's not worth the price. I don't know how familiar you are with Philly but it's a huge legal market. However if you are moving to Philly I advise you to live in society hill and take the broad st line to temple. North Philly is gross ( I should know I was born at temple and have lived all around Philly). Also buy some mace!!!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 am

Simpler Times wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
I forgot to include this. Never ever ever go to American. The DC market is pretty much saturated with graduates from better schools. International Law only exists for HYS on up. American is a trap.
While I don't agree with any of the points in this comment, Davis and W&L are better options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”