Villanova v. Pitt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Colton

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby Colton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:37 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
Colton wrote:I'm not sure if this was at me or not, but here you go.

FunkyJD wrote:As a Pitt 0L who has had good interactions with campus reps so far ... and would seriously consider the school if admitted ... can you comment on the following:

a) Can Pitt Law students take electives in other graduate departments? For example, if I'm interested in corp law, could I take a finance or risk management elective from the business school?

b) Curious, what's a 1 BR apartment rent for close to the law school (in which neighborhood). What's a 2 BR go for in this area?

c) Any public transportation to speak of in the area? Can you take public transport from campus to downtown?

d) Do any DC firms visit during OCI?

A. Yes, I'm considering doing it, I know others are too - in foreign language, public policy and business courses off the top of my head.

B. Oakland, is probably like 500 plus utilities, but its mostly undergrads, I live here now - most law students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and take the bus in. Neighborhoods are nicer, quieter, and have better apartments. They're in the 5-700 range. I'm looking at 2 brs right now. They range from 900 to 1,500 depending on the location, size, quality etc.

C. All public transportation - mostly buses are free to students and everyone uses them all the time. Thats how we all get around, they go everywhere you can check the stops via text messaging and online. They go all over the place. No one drives to the law school. Parking sucks and is expensive and is completely unnecessary IMO.

D. 2 did this year. If you haven't seen this before --LinkRemoved--
Only biglaw does OCI. We have a job fair in DC every spring for small/mid firms, government agencies, and non-profits, it was in January this year. OCI took an absolute beating this year. Last year there were 60 or so firms at OCI this year there were 24. The economy is pretty bad, as if you havent heard.

(D) scares the shit out of me.

Yeah, its rough. But, its like that at every school ITE. I just checked with a few of the schools I was considering before coming to Pitt. Looks like everyone was half-ed or worse.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:43 pm

jack duluoz wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote: Syracuse just got beat too, which means the Big East is either the deepest conference in college basketball or its top teams are severely overrated. FWIW, I think it's a little of both.

lol, always nice to see someone appreciates ATH.

OP, i am also excited to be attending Pitt. I am happy to live in Pittsburgh after LS because i like the city and like the cost of living. I will graduate with little debt. Of course, i would not turn down a biglaw offer if the situation presented itself, but i am also happy to take what i can get and try to work my way into a comfortable living. I sometimes wonder if it is actually a blessing in disguise to lack T14 numbers or even T20 because i would then be tempted to take out huge loans. I have been interested in attending law school since i was in 10th grade and am thankful for the opportunity Pitt gives me.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice catch. My brother and I were just arguing the same point, but I couldn't have said it better myself. (So I didn't try.)

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:45 pm

Comparing the market share pitt has in pittsburgh to nova in philly isn't comparing apples to apples. Philly is much much bigger than pittsburgh. Probably 4 times the size. Pittsburgh has Duquesne and Pitt. Philly has not only Nova temple penn and drexel, but also Widener (in de) and Rutgers Camden. Penn staters will crash both parties a little.

So it's probably about a wash in that sense.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:00 am

Colton wrote:If you haven't seen this before --LinkRemoved--

Thank you for this helpful link [strike]which will further deprive me of sleep as I obsessively explore it[/strike]

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 am

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Comparing the market share pitt has in pittsburgh to nova in philly isn't comparing apples to apples. Philly is much much bigger than pittsburgh.

This is true.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:26 pm

AHHH. Pitt gave me 14k a year. Nova hasn't contacted me. Pitt's been calling and e-mailing me like non stop.

What to do. What to do.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:56 pm

nooyyllib wrote:AHHH. Pitt gave me 14k a year. Nova hasn't contacted me. Pitt's been calling and e-mailing me like non stop.

What to do. What to do.

Are you in an Nova?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:27 pm

I know this is really minor at this point, but was anyone kind of turned off by Nova's acceptance letter?

It was like "Hey, congratulations! We let you in. [pause] Your seat deposit is due..."

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:16 pm

:roll: come on, you really need law schools to stroke your ego? The xmas cards and stuff are nice but it really shouldn't make a difference. You just need to decide whether you like pittsburgh or philly better. Pitt has also done decent in DC lately, im not sure how well nova places outside of philly.

stayway

Postby stayway » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:17 pm

yeah im in at nova. this is a difficult decision.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:51 pm

anthonyc350 wrote::roll: come on, you really need law schools to stroke your ego? The xmas cards and stuff are nice but it really shouldn't make a difference. You just need to decide whether you like pittsburgh or philly better. Pitt has also done decent in DC lately, im not sure how well nova places outside of philly.

Haha. No, it's not like that. But it's the only correspondence I've received from them at all and it was just somewhat underwhelming.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:02 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I know this is really minor at this point, but was anyone kind of turned off by Nova's acceptance letter?

It was like "Hey, congratulations! We let you in. [pause] Your seat deposit is due..."

it was a little lackluster. but i dont care as long as they give me a phat scholly (fingers crossed).

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 am

I saw that health law at Pitt is top 13 in the nation. What exactly is health law? Do i need to be pre-med background for it? Or bio background? Can anyone explain this to me?

Plus found out Pitt is one of 80 schools which are a part of the Order of the Coif and villanova isnt. HMMM.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:20 am

It all boils down to which city you would rather be in, and if in-state tuition your second and third years at Pitt is enough to take you away from Nova. I personally would say Pitt, because Philly has 3 great law schools, Pitt only has one.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:24 am

scionb4 wrote:It all boils down to which city you would rather be in, and if in-state tuition your second and third years at Pitt is enough to take you away from Nova. I personally would say Pitt, because Philly has 3 great law schools, Pitt only has one.

even for asians? Pitt is tempting me like crazy right now honestly.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:28 am

nooyyllib wrote:
scionb4 wrote:It all boils down to which city you would rather be in, and if in-state tuition your second and third years at Pitt is enough to take you away from Nova. I personally would say Pitt, because Philly has 3 great law schools, Pitt only has one.

even for asians? Pitt is tempting me like crazy right now honestly.

I really have no idea which school is more friendly towards Asians, but I would guess that neither is very hostile towards them.

chooch

Postby chooch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:47 pm

OP, I share your sentiment as well. Duquesne offered me a 2/3 scholly to their school, but the student body is 90%+ caucasian and I would feel more comfortable in a more diverse environment. But, from what I've heard about Pittsburgh as a whole, it's a really, really nice city and the people are very friendly. Plus, there will ALWAYS be a few people who still hold their racial prejudices and will give you a dirty look when they see you. But that's part of our experience (i'm asian as well) and personally I've gotten used to it.

Ihave a couple of asian friends attending UG Pitt right now, and they haven't experienced any racial hatred or anything of that sort. Villanova, despite its "vanilla-nova" moniker, has a pretty decent asian population, i have a bunch of asian friends that go there and they seem to enjoy their undergrad so far.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:58 pm

dannybang wrote:OP, I share your sentiment as well. Duquesne offered me a 2/3 scholly to their school, but the student body is 90%+ caucasian and I would feel more comfortable in a more diverse environment. But, from what I've heard about Pittsburgh as a whole, it's a really, really nice city and the people are very friendly. Plus, there will ALWAYS be a few people who still hold their racial prejudices and will give you a dirty look when they see you. But that's part of our experience (i'm asian as well) and personally I've gotten used to it.

Ihave a couple of asian friends attending UG Pitt right now, and they haven't experienced any racial hatred or anything of that sort. Villanova, despite its "vanilla-nova" moniker, has a pretty decent asian population, i have a bunch of asian friends that go there and they seem to enjoy their undergrad so far.

OK, I think some of you guys are misinterpreting my question. My paranoia is about Pittsburgh (the city) and my future job there being somewhat prejudice because it is in Western PA. supposedly Pittsburgh only has about 4% asian.

Obviously the school is going to be diverse, i mean any school since they try their best to keep the diversity up. I'm not worried about my school experience.

Scurredsitless1

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:13 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
dannybang wrote:OP, I share your sentiment as well. Duquesne offered me a 2/3 scholly to their school, but the student body is 90%+ caucasian and I would feel more comfortable in a more diverse environment. But, from what I've heard about Pittsburgh as a whole, it's a really, really nice city and the people are very friendly. Plus, there will ALWAYS be a few people who still hold their racial prejudices and will give you a dirty look when they see you. But that's part of our experience (i'm asian as well) and personally I've gotten used to it.

OK, I think some of you guys are misinterpreting my question. My paranoia is about Pittsburgh (the city) and my future job there being somewhat prejudice because it is in Western PA. supposedly Pittsburgh only has about 4% asian.

Obviously the school is going to be diverse, i mean any school since they try their best to keep the diversity up. I'm not worried about my school experience.

According to wikipedia, Philly is 5.4% asian.

The presumption that Pittsburgh is full of racist hillbillies is way off. When you'll be looking for jobs, you'll be interviewing with highly educated professionals. Chances of running into Aryan hiring partners is no greater in pittsburgh than it is anywhere else.

This fear is completely rational when looking at schools in rural areas. Pittsburgh is not rural. This is not a city with a history of heavy racial tensions (anymore than anywhere else).

People here are no more racist than they are a couple hundred miles down the turnpike.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:28 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

According to wikipedia, Philly is 5.4% asian.

The presumption that Pittsburgh is full of racist hillbillies is way off. When you'll be looking for jobs, you'll be interviewing with highly educated professionals. Chances of running into Aryan hiring partners is no greater in pittsburgh than it is anywhere else.

This fear is completely rational when looking at schools in rural areas. Pittsburgh is not rural. This is not a city with a history of heavy racial tensions (anymore than anywhere else).

People here are no more racist than they are a couple hundred miles down the turnpike.

I hear ya. I'm just waiting for Villanova to send me their information. Thinking about going to the open house at Pitt on the 26th(i think). also visiting Nova.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:00 am

OP: You've been looking for a reason to not go to Pitt, and I found some evidence to support your "Pitt is anti-asian" trolling :wink:

http://www.nalp.org/2004auglawfirmjobs

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:OP: You've been looking for a reason to not go to Pitt, and I found some evidence to support your "Pitt is anti-asian" trolling :wink:

yikes 0.58% - but this is 7 years ago....

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:OP: You've been looking for a reason to not go to Pitt, and I found some evidence to support your "Pitt is anti-asian" trolling :wink:

This is true. I remember proudly watching the desegregation of the Pittsburgh legal market live on CNN in high school. We can all even drink at the same water fountains when we are 2L SAs. :mrgreen:

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:21 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

This is true. I remember proudly watching the desegregation of the Pittsburgh legal market live on CNN in high school. We can all even drink at the same water fountains when we are 2L SAs. :mrgreen:

lolol

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:16 pm

superflush wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:I plan on visiting both during spring break. I've driven through Philly a bunch of times and my roommate right now is a transfer student from Villanova. He is white and told me it's known as "Vanilla-nova" because of its prominent "white" students. But I dont care about the campus being "white" - I do go to UVa after all.

That is the stereotype of the campus, but I think it might be less of a big deal in law school. They new building is really nice. If you haven't visited it, you definitely should.

TITCR

Return to “Choosing a Law School”