Villanova v. Pitt

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:26 pm

FWIW, I think at some point, you have to step away from the numbers and say, which school do I feel the most comfortable with? Which school gives me the best vibe? I don't think you can take a bunch of numbers and stats, and crunch them, and come up with a scientific answer. It gets to a point where it's paralysis by analysis.

It's great that Villanova has 16.7% placement in NLJ250 firms for '09 -- and I note that Pitt places less in the NLJ. There are probably other stats to note ... but in the end, all of it only matters so much.

I'm basing a decision between Pitt, Nova, and other schools on cash, quality of life, and gut feeling. I feel that the schools I'm deciding on are close enough on career prospects that the exact percentage doesn't matter. If I were choosing between Georgetown and Pitt or Nova, okay ... but I'm not. Maybe in hindsight, I'll feel differently, but right now I feel like there is little marginal benefit to stressing out over it.

Just my $0.02.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:20 am

FunkyJD wrote:FWIW, I think at some point, you have to step away from the numbers and say, which school do I feel the most comfortable with? Which school gives me the best vibe? I don't think you can take a bunch of numbers and stats, and crunch them, and come up with a scientific answer. It gets to a point where it's paralysis by analysis.

It's great that Villanova has 16.7% placement in NLJ250 firms for '09 -- and I note that Pitt places less in the NLJ. There are probably other stats to note ... but in the end, all of it only matters so much.

I'm basing a decision between Pitt, Nova, and other schools on cash, quality of life, and gut feeling. I feel that the schools I'm deciding on are close enough on career prospects that the exact percentage doesn't matter. If I were choosing between Georgetown and Pitt or Nova, okay ... but I'm not. Maybe in hindsight, I'll feel differently, but right now I feel like there is little marginal benefit to stressing out over it.

Just my $0.02.

Very good point, I agree completely. +2!

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Does anyone know if Pitt section stacks?

Colton
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby Colton » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:23 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt section stacks?


We don't.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Colton wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt section stacks?


We don't.

Good. Then I'm sending in a seat deposit.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:18 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Colton wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt section stacks?


We don't.

Good. Then I'm sending in a seat deposit.


Are you going to be at ASD next Friday?

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:46 pm

keg411 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Colton wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Does anyone know if Pitt section stacks?


We don't.

Good. Then I'm sending in a seat deposit.


Are you going to be at ASD next Friday?

Unfortunately, not ... but I do hope to visit at some point. Have a good friend who lives up there.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:11 am

Also, what's a "B" average at Pitt, and how does that compare to the median there?

Colton
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby Colton » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Also, what's a "B" average at Pitt, and how does that compare to the median there?

A 3.0 is a B and 3.0+ is median.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby seespotrun » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 pm

mikeyp wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
mikeyp wrote:you all seem to be reading into my statements way too far and making too many assumptions, so let me clarify.

top 30% gives you the prerequisite in grades. this gets an interview. does this mean you get the job? absolutely not! do you have a better shot being in the top 10-15%? the logic i am familiar with points to yes. but when we're talking about "where in the class do i need to be to get a big law job," the answer is top 30%.


Maybe that's the answer to the question: Where do I need to be in the class to get a biglaw interview? Even with this, I disagree. If the firm is going to give offers to 5 VLS students, why would they interview outside of the top 15%?

which firm are you talking about? there are a lot of firms, all of different caliber, which interview at different ranges, not exclusively at the top 15%.

and to respond to your question, firms interview outside their desired range, because they just don't know who is going to be a better fit. but i concede, as any rational person would, that there is a strong preference for better grades. but i don't think that surprises anyone here.

look, i'm not saying you are incorrect, because the fact is we just don't know. but at this point, you haven't offered any reason as to why i'm incorrect in saying top 30%, except for the constant fear mongering that is prevalent on this forum.


Well let's roll the dice then. Given your rationalization that these boards are purely fear-mongering, less empirical than your advisor's opinion and NLJ placement stats, etc., I'm assuming you are in the top 20%-30% of the class. Do your best to maintain that rank, and I'll do my best to maintain mine. After OCI we can post our results for the benefit of the 0L's.

0L's, HTH.

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby mikeyp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:44 am

seespotrun wrote:
mikeyp wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
mikeyp wrote:you all seem to be reading into my statements way too far and making too many assumptions, so let me clarify.

top 30% gives you the prerequisite in grades. this gets an interview. does this mean you get the job? absolutely not! do you have a better shot being in the top 10-15%? the logic i am familiar with points to yes. but when we're talking about "where in the class do i need to be to get a big law job," the answer is top 30%.


Maybe that's the answer to the question: Where do I need to be in the class to get a biglaw interview? Even with this, I disagree. If the firm is going to give offers to 5 VLS students, why would they interview outside of the top 15%?

which firm are you talking about? there are a lot of firms, all of different caliber, which interview at different ranges, not exclusively at the top 15%.

and to respond to your question, firms interview outside their desired range, because they just don't know who is going to be a better fit. but i concede, as any rational person would, that there is a strong preference for better grades. but i don't think that surprises anyone here.

look, i'm not saying you are incorrect, because the fact is we just don't know. but at this point, you haven't offered any reason as to why i'm incorrect in saying top 30%, except for the constant fear mongering that is prevalent on this forum.


Well let's roll the dice then. Given your rationalization that these boards are purely fear-mongering, less empirical than your advisor's opinion and NLJ placement stats, etc., I'm assuming you are in the top 20%-30% of the class. Do your best to maintain that rank, and I'll do my best to maintain mine. After OCI we can post our results for the benefit of the 0L's.

0L's, HTH.

haha deal!

EDIT: i never said "purely" fear-mongering, but it is more so than not.

achang
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby achang » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:15 am

how far is the gym from 'nova? I think someone mentioned, taking the train?

Also, does 'Nova rank and what's the avg size class?

THANKS

:)

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby mikeyp » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 am

achang wrote:how far is the gym from 'nova? I think someone mentioned, taking the train?

Also, does 'Nova rank and what's the avg size class?

THANKS

:)

gym is on campus. the campus itself is very small anyway. the gym is like 1/4 mile from the law building. it's also 1/4 mile from radnor house, so if you live there you can walk.

nova does rank, but only after 1L is complete.

class size depends on the class. but the total class size is around 260, and here's how it broke down this past year for my 1L (it will probably be the same next year, but i can't really say for sure):

Fall:
- Criminal Law = 2 sections (130 per class)
- Civil Procedure = 3 sections (85 per class)
- Torts = 3 sections (85 per class)
- Writing = lots of sections (20 per class)
- Research = same as writing

Spring: gets complicated because it depends you are assigned a practicum for either property or contracts, so for this assume property practicum, but the same applies if you were assigned contracts practicum instead.
- Constitutional Law I = 3 sections (85 per class)
- Property w/Practicum = 3 sections (45 per class)
- Contracts = 1 section (130 ppl)
- Elective = 1-2 sections (60 ppl or less per class)
- Oral Advocacy = lots of sections (20 per class)

bucknell09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby bucknell09 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:02 pm

I just read this entire thread and spent most of the time laughing.

Why do you assume that you will fall in love with corporate law or any other type of law that will "guarantee" you 100K a year? What can you do with 100K that you *NEED* and expect it versus a more reasonable 75K a year? There is more to being a lawyer than just your starting salary. If you want to make money immediately, there are probably easier ways to do so than assume that you will be sought after by these big firms after you easily crack the top 10% at schools that did not even offer you great scholarships. A good number of smart students go to both Pitt and Nova, so to hear you say "I'll just graduate top 10%" is very funny.

Tough choice though, I will agree.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Sorry if this has been covered before, buy can any Villanova xL's comment on how OCI went?

And even if you were no-offered at OCI, were you still able to find something decent for the summer? If so, what are you planning to do?

User avatar
mikeyp
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Postby mikeyp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 am

FunkyJD wrote:Sorry if this has been covered before, buy can any Villanova xL's comment on how OCI went?

And even if you were no-offered at OCI, were you still able to find something decent for the summer? If so, what are you planning to do?

i'll be getting paid to do research for a professor, and i get to make my own hours. can't argue with that :)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media and 3 guests