Villanova v. Pitt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Re: Villanova v. Pitt

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:54 pm

nooyyllib wrote:1. I didn't say I won't put in work as an associate. OF COURSE you have to bust your ass for 8-9 years to make partner (IMO).
2. Yeah thats what i was thinking about pittsburgh as well (being easier to "crack" than philly).
3. The location aspect makes sense - that was what i was thinking too. But do you think being asian would interfere with my chances in western penn?
4. I think scottie made that ridiculous game-winning lay up last year (not 100%) sure. He's much more improved this year.
5. I can care less about nova in the tournament. I'm rooting for Cuse
Yeah, I came off sounding like a dick and didn't mean to. I read the associate thing incorrectly in your OP. Being whiter than Wonder Bread I hate to make statements about this sort of thing, but I really don't think there's a lot of Asian discrimination in Western PA. But as I said, I'm not in a position to say.

You're also right, Scottie Reynolds was the one who went streaking down the court to hit that game winner last year. Someone would have stepped in front of him if the refs hadn't been calling touch fouls the whole damned game though. ...Up until the second half of yesterday's game, he's looked damned good this year.

Syracuse just got beat too, which means the Big East is either the deepest conference in college basketball or its top teams are severely overrated. FWIW, I think it's a little of both.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:59 pm

I'm just hoping UVa makes the NIT.

I'm half white-washed asian but i'm still afraid of possible prejudice facing me in the corporate world.

I have no clue what school I need to choose. Why can't GW just accept me? I thought they politely rejected me by waitlisting me...but others with better numbers than me got flat out rejected. weird, I have pathetic numbers.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:22 pm

This diversity thing is way blow out of proportion my friend. The people doing Big Law hiring went to good undergrads probably, decent law schools, came out at the top of their class. Do you think after all that they really harbor, on the whole, some sort of ethnic grudge? I'm not saying some won't, or several, but come on here. You can't plan your whole life around the off chance you may run into some intolerant people in hiring years down the road. These are educated people living in a fairly diverse metropolitan area. Pittsburgh is not Soho, but it's not backwoods Appalachia either. You mentioned earlier you may be over-thinking this, and you probably are. I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life and, admittedly, it is not amazingly diverse, but these things are not going to be obstacles in West PA anymore than in East PA.

I haven't been to Nova, though it seems Philly is nice. I have heard Nova isn't really in Philly though. Regardless, I won't comment. Pittsburgh itself is very cheap and there are several nice neighborhoods to live in near the law school (look at squirrel hill, most law students live in shadyside though, which is a younger/hipper area. The school itself is fairly nice, though a bit older. The library is nice though and the building is pretty close to the center of the campus. Visit and pick which you like more but the glass ceiling/diversity stuff should be pushed pretty far down your list of concerns.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:25 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
Syracuse just got beat too, which means the Big East is either the deepest conference in college basketball or its top teams are severely overrated. FWIW, I think it's a little of both.
Deepest in basketball, for sure. The ACC is down this year further than people want to admit. Also, Cuse and Nova aren't getting exposed or anything, they are very good teams, but it's too tough to run the gauntlet in the Big East. It's not that every team is amazing, it's just that they are all good enough to beat the best on an off night, and off nights come with the Big East grind.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Carnegie Mellon, which is located right next to Pitt, is 23% Asian American. There are lots of very well educated Asian Americans in Pittsburgh.

http://collegeprowler.com/carnegie-mell ... diversity/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:21 pm

how much influence does the rankings have? Nova's 61 and Pitt's 71?

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:21 pm

nooyyllib wrote:how much influence does the rankings have? Nova's 61 and Pitt's 71?

Influence to whom? Hiring managers in Pittsburgh? Hiring managers in Philly?

People aren't going to make hiring decisions based on the most recent US News rankings. They will make the decision on past experiences with students from that school.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:22 pm

nooyyllib wrote:how much influence does the rankings have? Nova's 61 and Pitt's 71?
[strike]Almost[/strike] none. Geography trumps rank long before 61/71.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
[strike]Almost[/strike] none. Geography trumps rank long before 61/71.
word

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:28 pm

nooyyllib wrote:5. I can care less about nova in the tournament. I'm rooting for Cuse
I guess this means you're going to Pitt.

Tip #1 for survival in Philly: Don't diss their sports teams. Seriously.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:5. I can care less about nova in the tournament. I'm rooting for Cuse

That's really funny, Philly fans are so sensitive about their teams. Pittsburgh is spoiled with championships. When people say bad things about Pittsburgh teams, they just look uninformed :)

Even Pitt basketball this year is completely rebuilding, and they peaked at #8.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

Tip #2: being apathetic about a team doesn't mean I'm dissing them. Seriously.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:40 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

Last time I was in Philly some guy leaned out the window of a car on Market Street and yelled at some kid in a Boston jersey, "The Red Sox suck!!!" ...The kid was maybe 12 years old and with his parents.

Needless to say, it was awesome. :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:41 pm

To Scurredsitless1,

You seem very excited about Pitt. What are you career plans out of Pitt? What made you pick Pitt over other schools you got accepted to?

Thanks.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

My apologies. Continue with your Cuse bandwagoning. :twisted:

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Last time I was in Philly some guy leaned out the window of a car on Market Street and yelled at some kid in a Boston jersey, "The Red Sox suck!!!" ...The kid was maybe 12 years old and with his parents.

Needless to say, it was awesome. :lol:
Nice ...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

I'm not trying to be an ass :D

I'm not sure if rooting for Cuse can be considered bandwagoning since they lost to Louisville.

But it's hard not to bandwagon since my school is garbage LoL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:48 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Tip #2: being apathetic about a team doesn't mean I'm dissing them. Seriously.
I'm not trying to be an ass :D

I'm not sure if rooting for Cuse can be considered bandwagoning since they lost to Louisville.

But it's hard not to bandwagon since my school is garbage LoL.
It's all in good fun. I'm actually from NoVA, too. The choices are not great in terms of college sports, aside from Georgetown hoops.

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Pitt 1L. You're not going to be discriminated against because you're asian. As has been noted there are only 2 law schools here, and Pitt is much more highly regarded. There are what, 5 in Philly? DC placement is pretty solid - non-profit, small/mid firm and government work wise. Clearly the economy has made it harder though. Biglaw requires top grades obviously. Pitt just opened a full-time office in DC to increase our presence there, and they just started a new DC internship program during 3L.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:56 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote: Syracuse just got beat too, which means the Big East is either the deepest conference in college basketball or its top teams are severely overrated. FWIW, I think it's a little of both.
lol, always nice to see someone appreciates ATH.

OP, i am also excited to be attending Pitt. I am happy to live in Pittsburgh after LS because i like the city and like the cost of living. I will graduate with little debt. Of course, i would not turn down a biglaw offer if the situation presented itself, but i am also happy to take what i can get and try to work my way into a comfortable living. I sometimes wonder if it is actually a blessing in disguise to lack T14 numbers or even T20 because i would then be tempted to take out huge loans. I have been interested in attending law school since i was in 10th grade and am thankful for the opportunity Pitt gives me.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 pm

Last edited by Scurredsitless1 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 pm

thanks yall.

I've been really blinded by rankings but recently been leaning toward Pitt. Although I'm not sure of the scholly situation for both schools, the lower living cost at Pitt along with the market competition makes Pitt much more attractive at this point.

I'm out of state so not sure what my tuition situation is going to be.

We shall see.

Meanwhile, I'd like more inputs if you guys have any! Thanks!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 pm

As a Pitt 0L who has had good interactions with campus reps so far ... and would seriously consider the school if admitted ... can you comment on the following:

a) Can Pitt Law students take electives in other graduate departments? For example, if I'm interested in corp law, could I take a finance or risk management elective from the business school?

b) Curious, what's a 1 BR apartment rent for close to the law school (in which neighborhood). What's a 2 BR go for in this area?

c) Any public transportation to speak of in the area? Can you take public transport from campus to downtown?

d) Do any DC firms visit during OCI?

Colton

New

Post by Colton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:29 pm

I'm not sure if this was at me or not, but here you go.
FunkyJD wrote:As a Pitt 0L who has had good interactions with campus reps so far ... and would seriously consider the school if admitted ... can you comment on the following:

a) Can Pitt Law students take electives in other graduate departments? For example, if I'm interested in corp law, could I take a finance or risk management elective from the business school?

b) Curious, what's a 1 BR apartment rent for close to the law school (in which neighborhood). What's a 2 BR go for in this area?

c) Any public transportation to speak of in the area? Can you take public transport from campus to downtown?

A. Yes, I'm considering doing it, I know others are too - in foreign language, public policy and business courses off the top of my head.

B. Oakland, is probably like 500 plus utilities, but its mostly undergrads, I live here now - most law students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and take the bus in. Neighborhoods are nicer, quieter, and have better apartments. They're in the 5-700 range. I'm looking at 2 brs right now. They range from 900 to 1,500 depending on the location, size, quality etc.

C. All public transportation - mostly buses are free to students and everyone uses them all the time. Thats how we all get around, they go everywhere you can check the stops via text messaging and online. They go all over the place. No one drives to the law school. Parking sucks and is expensive and is completely unnecessary IMO.

D. 2 did this year. If you haven't seen this before --LinkRemoved--
Only biglaw does OCI. We have a job fair in DC every spring for small/mid firms, government agencies, and non-profits, it was in January this year. OCI took an absolute beating this year. Last year there were 60 or so firms at OCI this year there were 24. The economy is pretty bad, as if you havent heard.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:33 pm

Colton wrote:I'm not sure if this was at me or not, but here you go.
FunkyJD wrote:As a Pitt 0L who has had good interactions with campus reps so far ... and would seriously consider the school if admitted ... can you comment on the following:

A. Yes, I'm considering doing it, I know others are too - in foreign language, public policy and business courses off the top of my head.

B. Oakland, is probably like 500 plus utilities, but its mostly undergrads, I live here now - most law students live in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill and take the bus in. Neighborhoods are nicer, quieter, and have better apartments. They're in the 5-700 range. I'm looking at 2 brs right now. They range from 900 to 1,500 depending on the location, size, quality etc.

C. All public transportation - mostly buses are free to students and everyone uses them all the time. Thats how we all get around, they go everywhere you can check the stops via text messaging and online. They go all over the place. No one drives to the law school. Parking sucks and is expensive and is completely unnecessary IMO.

D. 2 did this year. If you haven't seen this before --LinkRemoved--
Only biglaw does OCI. We have a job fair in DC every spring for small/mid firms, government agencies, and non-profits, it was in January this year. OCI took an absolute beating this year. Last year there were 60 or so firms at OCI this year there were 24. The economy is pretty bad, as if you havent heard.
(D) scares the shit out of me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”