Loyola LA v. Oregon v. Iowa

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which school?

Loyola LA
56%
Oregon
17%
Iowa
28%

Total votes: 18

anthonyc350

Loyola LA v. Oregon v. Iowa

Postby anthonyc350 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:07 pm

I was planning on attending Oregon next year but a couple of new acceptances has changed my mind, any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize none of these schools are ideal and I recognize the pitfalls but I want to be an attorney and am fully aware of what I am getting myself into.

I guess this is a choice between quality of life/job/ranking

I got into Loyola with a good amount of money, Oregon with little money (putting LLS and Oregon on equal ground) and Iowa with no money.

I know where LLS is located and I'm not crazy about the area nor am I fond of sitting in traffic for long periods of time. I also would prefer a campus setting and a more collegial atmosphere to a stand-alone downtown building. That being said it has always been my dream to work for the LA DA's office. I did an internship in the city attorney's office 3 years ago and have some contacts but I know it is still very competitive. If Loyola grads have some success getting these types of jobs (I will get around to calling and asking them), then I would be happy dedicating myself to my studies in order to have a chance at becoming a prosecutor in LA, despite my dislike of the immediate area.

On the other hand, I love Eugene. I love the campus and the town, I think I'd do much better in a setting where I could walk to school and be in a somewhat quiet (albeit sometimes boring) location. I think Eugene would be the perfect place to spend my 3 years in law school. However I have never been to Portland or any other part of Oregon. I'm guessing legal jobs in Eugene are pretty limited, and I'd much rather be in CA after graduation than Portland. I'm guessing Oregon doesn't do as well in California but if I networked in LA could I still have a shot at a job in the DA's office?

Then there is Iowa, which seems like a very good school. Chicago is one of my favorite cities, but I know it is a very tough legal market to crack and I have no contacts. I really wouldn't have any desire to practice in the midwest unless I was in Chicago, so would Iowa be too risky? Does Iowa place well in socal, or would I be better off going to loyola?

the_assassin

Re: Loyola LA v. Oregon v. Iowa

Postby the_assassin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Iowa is to risky (too much debt) if you would only be happy working in Chicago. I would assume that if you are able to get SOCAL form Iowa you could get Chicago. Again, too much risk. It ultimately comes down to where you would like to work/live.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:05 pm

For all that you described, I voted for LLS.

saltoftheearth

Postby saltoftheearth » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:07 pm

LA DA's office is the dream, right?

Loyola.

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:07 pm

thanks for the advice, anyone in the same situation?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:17 pm

oregon doesn't place much in CA.
http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... 0&g=2&pp=5

This seems like an odd group of top choices...no UC Davis or Hastings? They are both comparable to Iowa (despite USNWR) and would give better access to the CA market than any of your other options. LLS is only good if you are extremely debt averse, and even then you had better study your ass off to keep your scholarship (I'm assuming top 30% gpa req)

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:29 pm

didn't have any desire to practice in nocal

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:44 pm

I voted LLS. Going to LS where you want to practice is pretty important in my experience. With the $ and your goals, it seems like Loyola makes the most sense.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:04 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:didn't have any desire to practice in nocal

Hastings and Davis are not confined to Norcal in job placement. Something like 30-35% at each school find work in SoCal. There are tons of UCLA people at Hastings hoping to go back after law school.

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:09 pm

I just assumed for this field location and cost trumped reputation, I applied to Davis though

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:16 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:I just assumed for this field location and cost trumped reputation, I applied to Davis though

Yeah cost is def. a big concern, and Davis/Hastings are usually weak on financial aid. To me, neither school is worth going over 100k in debt for.

But if cost is no concern you should look strongly at Davis. I think it is far better than any of these 3 options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”