Bored :) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which

Ohio State - Free
14%
W&L - Free
40%
Wake - approx 1k a year
4%
UNC -approx 5k a year
26%
UGA- approx 5k a year
1%
Alabama - approx 6k a year
1%
IUB - approx 20k a year
No votes
Iowa - approx 30k a year
1%
Illinois -approx 30k a year
12%

Total votes: 73

LSATfromNC

Silver

Bored :)

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Bored and still very indecisive, so here are my current choices. I think I have narrowed it down to 3, but I'll keep those to myself. Pretend you were from Antarcia and had no preference where or what to practice after law school.

These are tuition cost per year. Feel free to say why.

ndirish2010

Gold

Re: Bored :)

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:44 pm

W&L.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:45 pm

I thought those were scholarships/year, not tuition/year

reasonabledoubt

Silver

Post by reasonabledoubt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Well, I'm too bored to reply to your boring post then.

I mean, give some credit and offer something back to your audience! This is a very self-centered post.

"Hey, I'm bored and want to essentially masturbate over my choices, will you all masturbate them for me?"

Umm, no. You shape up and offer something to TLS readers that is both engaging and not absolutely selfish.

No one cares.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:46 pm

haha, think ur bored now wait till u get to ur second semester of law school, lol

As for the schools, just pick the cheapest in the area u want to practice.

I.e. OSU in Ohio
UNC or Wake in the Carolinas
and so forth

So, now you can research regions and where you want to spend the next, at least 6 yrs of your life (3 for school, 3 to establish being an actual lawyer at a firm in region)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:52 pm

reasonabledoubt wrote:Well, I'm too bored to reply to your boring post then.

I mean, give some credit and offer something back to your audience! This is a very self-centered post.

"Hey, I'm bored and want to essentially masturbate over my choices, will you all masturbate them for me?"

Umm, no. You shape up and offer something to TLS readers that is both engaging and not absolutely selfish.

No one cares.

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

No one cares.
+0

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

No one cares.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:54 pm

No one cares.
I've posted a couple of these with my top choices, I just want some feedback before I pull the trigger and withdraw from all but three of the above schools. Maybe I missed something in my obsession, I just want to make sure. Is Illinois really that much better of a school that I should pay 30k a year for it and turn down paying nothing at OSU?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:56 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:

No one cares.
I've posted a couple of these with my top choices, I just want some feedback before I pull the trigger and withdraw from all but three of the above schools. Maybe I missed something in my obsession, I just want to make sure. Is Illinois really that much better of a school that I should pay 30k a year for it and turn down paying nothing at OSU?
If you're really narrowing it down to three of these, I wouldn't even consider Ohio State. I'd take W&L, UNC and UGA. Scratch all of this if you are set on living and working in Ohio.

This said, I chose UNC.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:01 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

No one cares.
If you're really narrowing it down to three of these, I wouldn't even consider Ohio State. I'd take W&L, UNC and UGA. Scratch all of this if you are set on living and working in Ohio.

This said, I chose UNC.
Substitute Wake for UGA and that's what I'm thinking. I have visited Wake and loved it, going to visit UNC next weekend and W&L shortly. I have a ton of family spread out all over with none here in NC, I just like the area, that is why I am not exactly opposed to attending any of these schools.

UNC was/is my top choice but their employment statistics don't vibe with their reputation, they have one of the lowest 9 month employment rates (compared to the other schools I'm considering). Thank god I have until April to make a choice.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 pm

For those of you that said Illinois, why?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:17 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

No one cares.

This said, I chose UNC.
Substitute Wake for UGA and that's what I'm thinking. I have visited Wake and loved it, going to visit UNC next weekend and W&L shortly. I have a ton of family spread out all over with none here in NC, I just like the area, that is why I am not exactly opposed to attending any of these schools.

UNC was/is my top choice but their employment statistics don't vibe with their reputation, they have one of the lowest 9 month employment rates (compared to the other schools I'm considering). Thank god I have until April to make a choice.
I can't imagine UNC's employment rates are worse than Wake's. It doesn't make any sense since both the ranking and reputation scores are much higher. Both are bargains at what you would pay if you want NC and NC only.

I think you should go with W&L. It's tied with UNC in the rankings (and has been higher in the past) and it's free and the COL is peanuts. But that's if you're okay with working in VA/DC rather than in NC. If you have no interest in Ohio, forget OSU. Same with Georgia and UGA (conversely if you want Ohio/Georgia, those are your picks).

No reason to pay sticker or close at Iowa, IU-B or UIUC unless you would prefer the Midwest minus Ohio. If you want those regions or Chicago rather than the South, then it's a different story.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 pm

US News site isn't working right this minute for me or I would pull it down. I think UNC has a sub 90% 9 month employment and wakes is around 99%, granted UNC could be one of the few schools telling the truth which is why it looks bad. And these numbers were from before the economy went ape shit, so who knows how bad it is now.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Ethan Edwards wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

No one cares.
+0
x 1/5

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:36 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:US News site isn't working right this minute for me or I would pull it down. I think UNC has a sub 90% 9 month employment and wakes is around 99%, granted UNC could be one of the few schools telling the truth which is why it looks bad. And these numbers were from before the economy went ape shit, so who knows how bad it is now.
According to last year's magazine (I have the hard copy)
At Graduation (07)
UNC- 71.2%
Wake- 78.5%

9 Months After Graduation
UNC- 98.0%
Wake- 94.3%

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:47 pm

keg411 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:US News site isn't working right this minute for me or I would pull it down. I think UNC has a sub 90% 9 month employment and wakes is around 99%, granted UNC could be one of the few schools telling the truth which is why it looks bad. And these numbers were from before the economy went ape shit, so who knows how bad it is now.
According to last year's magazine (I have the hard copy)
At Graduation (07)
UNC- 71.2%
Wake- 78.5%

9 Months After Graduation
UNC- 98.0%
Wake- 94.3%
Those look better! The rate I was refering to was 88%, it was from the year prior I believe. I would like to graduate with low debt so I can work as a public defender/ada, I just want to be able to get one of those jobs!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”