UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:30 am

darknightbegins wrote:So much Miami hate man...I'm not here to shit on Florida and if I had in state tuition to go there I would go there over Miami. Being an out-of-state person though, out of state tuition for Florida and Miami are within a few thousand of each other. That being the case I'll take living in Miami over the swamp.


Go to UF, then try to get in-state for your last two years. Miami is not even close to being worth sticker. Furthermore, your career prospects statewide will probably be much better coming out of UF, so seriously, just deal with Gainesville for three years (seriously, not that bad) and do yourself a favor.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:39 am

If you can get in state, I have no clue how tough it is to get in state for Florida or Florida State.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:44 am

darknightbegins wrote:I spent about 5 minutes looking. I don't think that 7 to 800 a month to live close to campus in beautiful coral gabels is that bad of a deal. As for prices coming up, I wouldn't dispute that, but I'm dealing in the present right now.

So much Miami hate man...I'm not here to shit on Florida and if I had in state tuition to go there I would go there over Miami. Being an out-of-state person though, out of state tuition for Florida and Miami are within a few thousand of each other. That being the case I'll take living in Miami over the swamp.


Take it from UM itself, you're looking at $770 for a studio if you're lucky: --LinkRemoved--

I have been assuming in-state tuition in considering UF versus UM. Consider this from UF's website: "Students qualifying as state residents make up about 80 percent of an entering class, though UF Law does not have a cap on out-of-state students. Of those who enter as non-residents, the vast majority will gain residency status after the first year."

Gainesville isn't all swamp. To its northeast (not far away but actually within the limits of the city) there are two forested state parks, including one that features a giant limestone sinkhole that is really quite spectacular. To its southeast there is a prairie that features a herd of bison. The town itself has palm trees all over and enjoys the same year-round warmth that the rest of Florida does.

That said, Miami is great. I would love to work and live there. However, it just so happens that the smartest way to get to Miami might be through Gainesville.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 am

Like I said, I don't think 7 to 800 is out of line for coral gabels. I have no clue what the requirements are to get in state tuition at Florida. It said the vast majority get that, but is there any more specific information about that? If he can get in state tuition after the first year then he probably saves around 40K over going to Miami with respect to tuition.

I am sure Florida has the superior rep state wide and can place in south florida, but I just find it unbelievable that it could place better than Miami in the U's one back yard. I doubt Florida or Florida state are THAT much better than Miami in South Florida.

Great...a sink hole...

Anyway I'm not here to shit on Florida. I don't have any Gator hate, except for Tim Tebow, so I'm not going to tell the guy to not go there. If you specifiy how easy it is to get in state tuition after the first year, I would tell the guy to go Florida easy due to it being cheaper. If he can't, for whatever reason, get in state tuition, then I would suggest he mine as well go to the U. He will be able to place in Miami after graduation. Both schools place about equal for NY, CA and DC law firm jobs and both have about equal student to faculty ratios. Also I am sure there are more entertaining things to do in Miami than look at a sink hole.

Overall, if he can get in state after the first year, then go live in the swamp. If he can't, mine as well go to the U.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:13 am

darknightbegins wrote:Like I said, I don't think 7 to 800 is out of line for coral gabels. I have no clue what the requirements are to get in state tuition at Florida. It said the vast majority get that, but is there any more specific information about that? If he can get in state tuition after the first year then he probably saves around 40K over going to Miami with respect to tuition.

I am sure Florida has the superior rep state wide and can place in south florida, but I just find it unbelievable that it could place better than Miami in the U's one back yard. I doubt Florida or Florida state are THAT much better than Miami in South Florida.

Great...a sink hole...

Anyway I'm not here to shit on Florida. I don't have any Gator hate, except for Tim Tebow, so I'm not going to tell the guy to not go there. If you specifiy how easy it is to get in state tuition after the first year, I would tell the guy to go Florida easy due to it being cheaper. If he can't, for whatever reason, get in state tuition, then I would suggest he mine as well go to the U. He will be able to place in Miami after graduation. Both schools place about equal for NY, CA and DC law firm jobs and both have about equal student to faculty ratios. Also I am sure there are more entertaining things to do in Miami than look at a sink hole.

Overall, if he can get in state after the first year, then go live in the swamp. If he can't, mine as well go to the U.


If he's going to put in the time required to land a decent job in Miami in this economy, he's not going to be hitting South Beach or staring down sinkholes. He's going to be burying himself in the books. Neither school places well at all for NY, CA, and DC firm jobs, so nevermind that. Anyone who goes to a Florida school is working in Florida. Like the quote said, the vast majority of out-of-staters qualify for in-state tuition after a year. This would indicate that qualification is not difficult. He can find out the specific requirements, given that it is his decision to make. As has been previously noted, UF places as well in Miami as UM. Miami is UM's stronghold, yes, but it is also FIU's stronghold. Do you find it hard to believe that UF places as well in Miami as FIU? The reason why you see more UM graduates than UF graduates in Miami is because UF graduates are scattered throughout Florida, with only a portion of them seeking jobs in Miami, whereas nearly all UM graduates stay concentrated in and around Miami.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:29 am

Lomax wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Like I said, I don't think 7 to 800 is out of line for coral gabels. I have no clue what the requirements are to get in state tuition at Florida. It said the vast majority get that, but is there any more specific information about that? If he can get in state tuition after the first year then he probably saves around 40K over going to Miami with respect to tuition.

I am sure Florida has the superior rep state wide and can place in south florida, but I just find it unbelievable that it could place better than Miami in the U's one back yard. I doubt Florida or Florida state are THAT much better than Miami in South Florida.

Great...a sink hole...

Anyway I'm not here to shit on Florida. I don't have any Gator hate, except for Tim Tebow, so I'm not going to tell the guy to not go there. If you specifiy how easy it is to get in state tuition after the first year, I would tell the guy to go Florida easy due to it being cheaper. If he can't, for whatever reason, get in state tuition, then I would suggest he mine as well go to the U. He will be able to place in Miami after graduation. Both schools place about equal for NY, CA and DC law firm jobs and both have about equal student to faculty ratios. Also I am sure there are more entertaining things to do in Miami than look at a sink hole.

Overall, if he can get in state after the first year, then go live in the swamp. If he can't, mine as well go to the U.


If he's going to put in the time required to land a decent job in Miami in this economy, he's not going to be hitting South Beach or staring down sinkholes. He's going to be burying himself in the books. Neither school places well at all for NY, CA, and DC firm jobs, so nevermind that. Anyone who goes to a Florida school is working in Florida. Like the quote said, the vast majority of out-of-staters qualify for in-state tuition after a year. This would indicate that qualification is not difficult. He can find out the specific requirements, given that it is his decision to make. As has been previously noted, UF places as well in Miami as UM. Miami is UM's stronghold, yes, but it is also FIU's stronghold. Do you find it hard to believe that UF places as well in Miami as FIU? The reason why you see more UM graduates than UF graduates in Miami is because UF graduates are scattered throughout Florida, with only a portion of them seeking jobs in Miami, whereas nearly all UM graduates stay concentrated in and around Miami.


I'm sure he will be studying hard but everyone has to take a break at some point. I would think the quality of life in Miami would be more enjoyable than in the swamp. Thats just a personal opinion so feel free to dispute it.

I have no doubt you are correct about why you see more UM grads in Miami then UF grads, but the fact still remains that you still see more UM grads in Miami then UF grads. As for FIU, I think its a fine school, but no one is going to claim FIU competes with Florida students for jobs. At best, I would think that Florida is near equal with UM grads for jobs in Miami, and I would give an edge to UM in Miami.

Like I said, if he can save 40 k going to Florida and still have a good shot at Miami, then by all means go. If it is harder than the statement says and he will be paying close to equal for Florida and Miami then I don't see why he would go to Florida over Miami if he wants to practice in South Florida. 3 years out of state at Florida is about the same as 3 years at Miami and, in my opinion, you will have more fun in Miami than in the swamp.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:57 am

darknightbegins wrote:I'm sure he will be studying hard but everyone has to take a break at some point. I would think the quality of life in Miami would be more enjoyable than in the swamp. Thats just a personal opinion so feel free to dispute it.

I have no doubt you are correct about why you see more UM grads in Miami then UF grads, but the fact still remains that you still see more UM grads in Miami then UF grads. As for FIU, I think its a fine school, but no one is going to claim FIU competes with Florida students for jobs. At best, I would think that Florida is near equal with UM grads for jobs in Miami, and I would give an edge to UM in Miami.

Like I said, if he can save 40 k going to Florida and still have a good shot at Miami, then by all means go. If it is harder than the statement says and he will be paying close to equal for Florida and Miami then I don't see why he would go to Florida over Miami if he wants to practice in South Florida. 3 years out of state at Florida is about the same as 3 years at Miami and, in my opinion, you will have more fun in Miami than in the swamp.


No question Miami is more enjoyable than Gainesville. However, like I've said, Gainesville has a lot of great selling points on quality of life, Miami's quality of life comes at a great cost, and quality of life shouldn't be a key issue for someone selecting a law school to begin with.

You say that you "would give an edge to UM in Miami". You've been saying that a lot. And I ask you now, why? The only reason I've heard so far is "because UM is in Miami". How is FIU so different from UM in the comparison I made? UM's student body comes in with lower numbers than UF's just like FIU's does, only to less of an extreme. But the difference is still there between UF and UM, and it is noticeable - 161 3.67 for UF, 157 3.41 for UM. That might clue you in on how UF can place better than UM in UM's own backyard. South Florida firms might not know be clued in on those exact figures, but they know that UF is the most prestigious law school in the state, because it is. And they hire accordingly.

If the price is going to be equal for him, he should, most probably, still go to UF. This is an investment, not a vacation. He should go to the school that will set him up best for the future.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:21 am

Well also the fact that there are more UM grads in Miami I think helps the cause of UM placing well in Miami.

Other then a few points difference on the LSAT can you point to a difference between UF and UM? Their student to faculty ratio is around the same, with UF having a slightly lower student to faculty ratio, and they place in big law jobs about the same and the bar passage rate is virtually identical and the percentage employed after 9 months is close to being the same with UM having a slight edge, at least according to LSN... I wouldn't dispute the fact that Florida has more prestige, it is ranked higher than Miami in most of the rankings I have seen, but the numbers I have seen show that the schools seem to be relatively close overall. Since the schools seem close in the areas I just mentioned, and UM is in Miami and has more grads in Miami than Florida, I think its reasonable to believe they have an edge over the Gators.

Also living in Miami doesn't mean he is "vacationing". I think thats ridiculous to say just because it is a big city some how that detracts from his ability to study. I guess those NYU students are just fucked aren't they? Why they have that great big city all around them, lord knows how they get anything done.

If the price is equal and he thinks he wants to practice in South Florida then go to the U. Also, I heard about a survey on The Young Turks that Miami has best combo of hottest and dumbest girls in the US. So that is an additional boost, assuming he is straight.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Lomax » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:11 am

darknightbegins wrote:Well also the fact that there are more UM grads in Miami I think helps the cause of UM placing well in Miami.

Other then a few points difference on the LSAT can you point to a difference between UF and UM? Their student to faculty ratio is around the same, with UF having a slightly lower student to faculty ratio, and they place in big law jobs about the same and the bar passage rate is virtually identical and the percentage employed after 9 months is close to being the same with UM having a slight edge, at least according to LSN... I wouldn't dispute the fact that Florida has more prestige, it is ranked higher than Miami in most of the rankings I have seen, but the numbers I have seen show that the schools seem to be relatively close overall. Since the schools seem close in the areas I just mentioned, and UM is in Miami and has more grads in Miami than Florida, I think its reasonable to believe they have an edge over the Gators.


More UM grads in Miami might help UM's cause, but how much? There are many UF grads in Miami as well, and the UM grads presumably think more highly of UF grads than UF grads think of UM grads. In the end, you're still left with the stronghold theory. It has some merit, I'll admit. But given the level of overlap that UF's territory has on UM's, and UF's superiority over UM, a lot of that merit is lost.

The differences between UF and UM that I can point to are state-wide recognition, alumni-base, quality of education, historical product, value and prestige. Consider the 2010 Super Lawyers rankings, which ranks schools based on how many top-earning lawyers they produce. UF ranks #8 nationally, UM ranks something like #21. UF beats UM every time in every statistical category except for starting salary, and that's the fishiest and most prone to manipulation of all. I have heard the opinions of lawyers in large South Florida firms and from what I gather (I don't claim this to be fully representative) they generally put UF ahead or the two even in South Florida. UM graduates can't make it outside of South Florida. Not even in Orlando or Tampa. Why? Because they all love Miami so much that they never want to leave? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. UF has a greater national reach than UM, if only marginally so, perhaps on account of the name recognition of the larger brand. UF has a higher standard of selectivity, which leads one to believe that the quality of education and student body may also be of a higher standard than those of UM (though this may not be the case). Finally, UF is almost always going to be cheaper than UM, especially considering Gainesville's cost of living versus' Miami's.

darknightbegins wrote:Also living in Miami doesn't mean he is "vacationing". I think thats ridiculous to say just because it is a big city some how that detracts from his ability to study. I guess those NYU students are just fucked aren't they? Why they have that great big city all around them, lord knows how they get anything done.


When did I say that living in Miami means vacationing? You have been pounding on how this guy should base his decision on where to go to law school on which environment he'd enjoy himself more in. I simply said that it is important to remember that law school is an investment rather than a vacation - wherever it is attended. NYU students should be going to NYU because NYU is a good school and because going there will get them a good job, not because NYU is in NYC and they can have fun there. I never suggested anything about his or anybody else's ability to study in the face of diversions. You are beating a straw man.

darknightbegins wrote:If the price is equal and he thinks he wants to practice in South Florida then go to the U. Also, I heard about a survey on The Young Turks that Miami has best combo of hottest and dumbest girls in the US. So that is an additional boost, assuming he is straight.


Now you're really getting desperate. But I guess my "investment" line doesn't really work here, assuming that this guy is both straight and single, so props to you. Did I mention that Gainesville has a giant sinkhole?

eudaimondaimon
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby eudaimondaimon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:14 am

darknightbegins wrote:Also, I heard about a survey on The Young Turks that Miami has best combo of hottest and dumbest girls in the US. So that is an additional boost, assuming he is straight.


Oh, believe me. Gainesville has plenty of hot, dumb girls.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:29 am

Lomax wrote:UF has a greater national reach than UM, if only marginally so, perhaps on account of the name recognition of the larger brand.


Neither of these schools have "national reach" for students outside of the top 5% (maybe even higher ITE).

hth.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 am

darknightbegins wrote:If the price is equal and he thinks he wants to practice in South Florida then go to the U.


No. On the VERY high chance Miami does not work out, at least you can compete for other jobs throughout FL, whereas Miami will likely leave you in debt and marginally employed, "but in such a great city!!!" Jeez.

Also, +1 to Lomax's last post.

User avatar
mps
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby mps » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:47 pm

whoa, debate got intense!

this guy is actually a girl... but for some reason i always assume posters on tls are men. (i cant figure out how to put up an avatar, whenever i try it says the file is too big, even when i cut it down, so i suppose i'll continue to be ambiguous)

User avatar
annapavlova
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 am

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby annapavlova » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:10 pm

mps wrote:If i am as close to 100% sure as possible that I want to practice in South FL after law school, should I go with Miami or UF? I also might be interested in a clerkship, which school would give the better shot at that? (i know they're impossible to get, but reach for the stars, right?).

I've been offered the 23,000/yr at Miami, but it has the 3.2 gpa stipulation. Nothing from UF, but i am a FL resident. Money isn't a factor, but honestly, I'd feel pretty awesome if I managed to spend less than originally anticipated on law school.

Also, I'm 26, graduated college several years ago, and don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of 23 year olds with no real world experience... nothing against 23 year olds, i'd just feel kinda creepy hanging out with them all the time. Which school do you think would be better considering that? Do you think either school has a good number of people/good environment for slightly older students?

Thank you so much for your help!!


LOL....wut dude?

My two best friends in law school are 22 and 27. I'm 24. There is nothing weird OR creepy about our 27 year old friend hanging out with us. I think a three-year age difference isn't going to put on the creep factor to anybody...

LOL @ people who think they're so "old" in their mid-twenties.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Lomax wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Well also the fact that there are more UM grads in Miami I think helps the cause of UM placing well in Miami.

Other then a few points difference on the LSAT can you point to a difference between UF and UM? Their student to faculty ratio is around the same, with UF having a slightly lower student to faculty ratio, and they place in big law jobs about the same and the bar passage rate is virtually identical and the percentage employed after 9 months is close to being the same with UM having a slight edge, at least according to LSN... I wouldn't dispute the fact that Florida has more prestige, it is ranked higher than Miami in most of the rankings I have seen, but the numbers I have seen show that the schools seem to be relatively close overall. Since the schools seem close in the areas I just mentioned, and UM is in Miami and has more grads in Miami than Florida, I think its reasonable to believe they have an edge over the Gators.


More UM grads in Miami might help UM's cause, but how much? There are many UF grads in Miami as well, and the UM grads presumably think more highly of UF grads than UF grads think of UM grads. In the end, you're still left with the stronghold theory. It has some merit, I'll admit. But given the level of overlap that UF's territory has on UM's, and UF's superiority over UM, a lot of that merit is lost.

The differences between UF and UM that I can point to are state-wide recognition, alumni-base, quality of education, historical product, value and prestige. Consider the 2010 Super Lawyers rankings, which ranks schools based on how many top-earning lawyers they produce. UF ranks #8 nationally, UM ranks something like #21. UF beats UM every time in every statistical category except for starting salary, and that's the fishiest and most prone to manipulation of all. I have heard the opinions of lawyers in large South Florida firms and from what I gather (I don't claim this to be fully representative) they generally put UF ahead or the two even in South Florida. UM graduates can't make it outside of South Florida. Not even in Orlando or Tampa. Why? Because they all love Miami so much that they never want to leave? Maybe, but I kind of doubt it. UF has a greater national reach than UM, if only marginally so, perhaps on account of the name recognition of the larger brand. UF has a higher standard of selectivity, which leads one to believe that the quality of education and student body may also be of a higher standard than those of UM (though this may not be the case). Finally, UF is almost always going to be cheaper than UM, especially considering Gainesville's cost of living versus' Miami's.

darknightbegins wrote:Also living in Miami doesn't mean he is "vacationing". I think thats ridiculous to say just because it is a big city some how that detracts from his ability to study. I guess those NYU students are just fucked aren't they? Why they have that great big city all around them, lord knows how they get anything done.


When did I say that living in Miami means vacationing? You have been pounding on how this guy should base his decision on where to go to law school on which environment he'd enjoy himself more in. I simply said that it is important to remember that law school is an investment rather than a vacation - wherever it is attended. NYU students should be going to NYU because NYU is a good school and because going there will get them a good job, not because NYU is in NYC and they can have fun there. I never suggested anything about his or anybody else's ability to study in the face of diversions. You are beating a straw man.

darknightbegins wrote:If the price is equal and he thinks he wants to practice in South Florida then go to the U. Also, I heard about a survey on The Young Turks that Miami has best combo of hottest and dumbest girls in the US. So that is an additional boost, assuming he is straight.


Now you're really getting desperate. But I guess my "investment" line doesn't really work here, assuming that this guy is both straight and single, so props to you. Did I mention that Gainesville has a giant sinkhole?



I already ceded the point that Florida is ranked higher than Miami in the rankings I have seen. In the Super Lawyers ranking I think Florida was ranked 8 where Miami was ranked 20. In US News Florida is low 50s whiles Miami is in the 70s. Everything else you mentioned in grasping at straws. There admissions is more selective so the quality of education is better? Not necessarily so. Like I said the law firm jobs that UF places in CA, DC and NYC, while higher than that of Miami, is not by much.

Florida may have more prestige, but looking at practical numbers such as employment after 9 months and bar passage rate, as well as the fishy starting salary stat you mentioned and the relatively close number of NYC, DC and CA jobs, its hard to see where that intangiable of prestige is translating to a real world difference between the two. Perhaps that prestige helps the student get employed throughout other parts of the state, but to this poster, this isn't really important as they want to live in south florida.

As for Florida being cheaper, congratulations, we have already been down that road, and I said if he/she can get in state tuition for two years after his first year and save 40K then I would go to Florida. The arguement here is if the person can't get instate, then the price of tuition is about the same, mine as well as go to Miami.

Also according to LSN, Living expense for a year at Florida is 12,730 and Miami is 16,820. Certainly more expensive to live in a place like Coral Gabels but I also think more enjoyable. I'm not saying the person should decide where to go to school based on what city is the best, but quality of life should be a factor when the cost and other relative statistics are so even between the two schools. You are the one that said the poster should view law school as an investment, not a vaction. When did I say anything otherwise? I just said if the person is going to be spending basically the same on tuition and Florida is about equal to Miami in most statistical categories the poster should also consider how much fun they will have with Miami's night life vs a sink hole.

As for the dumb girls think...it was a joke man, I wasn't getting desperate, just trying to make a funny. Calm down.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Florida may have more prestige, but looking at practical numbers such as employment after 9 months and bar passage rate, as well as the fishy starting salary stat you mentioned and the relatively close number of NYC, DC and CA jobs, its hard to see where that intangiable of prestige is translating to a real world difference between the two. Perhaps that prestige helps the student get employed throughout other parts of the state, but to this poster, this isn't really important as they want to live in south florida.

As for Florida being cheaper, congratulations, we have already been down that road, and I said if he/she can get in state tuition for two years after his first year and save 40K then I would go to Florida. The arguement here is if the person can't get instate, then the price of tuition is about the same, mine as well as go to Miami.


The point is, in this miserable economy, the potential for movement in FL is more important than ever if OP cannot find a decent job in Miami. This is a distinct possibility. At the same cost, this fact ALONE makes UF worth it.

Combine this with the VERY likely possibility of obtaining in-state tuition (from what I gather), which would make UF much cheaper, and there's your decision right there.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:06 pm

rad law wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Florida may have more prestige, but looking at practical numbers such as employment after 9 months and bar passage rate, as well as the fishy starting salary stat you mentioned and the relatively close number of NYC, DC and CA jobs, its hard to see where that intangiable of prestige is translating to a real world difference between the two. Perhaps that prestige helps the student get employed throughout other parts of the state, but to this poster, this isn't really important as they want to live in south florida.

As for Florida being cheaper, congratulations, we have already been down that road, and I said if he/she can get in state tuition for two years after his first year and save 40K then I would go to Florida. The arguement here is if the person can't get instate, then the price of tuition is about the same, mine as well as go to Miami.


The point is, in this miserable economy, the potential for movement in FL is more important than ever if OP cannot find a decent job in Miami. This is a distinct possibility. At the same cost, this fact ALONE makes UF worth it.

Combine this with the VERY likely possibility of obtaining in-state tuition (from what I gather), which would make UF much cheaper, and there's your decision right there.


If OP is a 0L then it is likely that the economy will be much different after he graduates then what he is currently staring at. I have heard that getting in state tuition is easy yet I haven't seen anyone tell me how you obtain it. I have read in another thread that getting in state tuition in Florida can be tougher than you think. If anyone can find this out for sure I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll give you Gators credit, you are die hard for your school.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:59 pm

mps wrote:whoa, debate got intense!

this guy is actually a girl... but for some reason i always assume posters on tls are men. (i cant figure out how to put up an avatar, whenever i try it says the file is too big, even when i cut it down, so i suppose i'll continue to be ambiguous)

#1 internet rule: assume everyone is a man until proven incorrect.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby Grizz » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm

darknightbegins wrote:If OP is a 0L then it is likely that the economy will be much different after he graduates then what he is currently staring at. I have heard that getting in state tuition is easy yet I haven't seen anyone tell me how you obtain it. I have read in another thread that getting in state tuition in Florida can be tougher than you think. If anyone can find this out for sure I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll give you Gators credit, you are die hard for your school.


Maybe OP's south FL plans may change. This honestly comes down to that I believe that UF=or>Miami in south FL, and you believe Miami>UF in south FL. You believe Miami is worth sticker, while I believe it is nowhere close to being worth sticker. Neither of us is going to change each others' minds.

I'm not an expert on getting in-state, because I'm from FL, but it probably comes down to a combination of getting a FL license, registering to vote here, getting a job here, maintaining a permanent domicile here, and declaring an intention to live in FL upon graduation.

I am definitely not a Gator; I'm from FL but I most definitely do not go to school there. I just know a good deal when I see one.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby 98234872348 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:23 pm

According to UMiami's website, the curve isn't awful at all; in fact, it's quite lenient. I don't know how it plays out in practice, but this is what the school claims:

Is there a grade curve that requires a median GPA of the entire class?

No.

We do have rules as set forth below for the first year class for the grade distribution. These rules for first year courses other than LRW require a minimum percentage of grades at B+ or A (20%), and a minimum percentage of grades at B, B+ or A(45%). The distribution rules also require a percentage of grades at C minus or below (5%-15%). Thus, a professor can satisfy the grade distribution requirements by giving 95% of the students in the class an A and 5% a C minus. The grade distribution for your LRW class is different as you can see below.


It seems that one could satisfy the gpa contingency rather easily, however, I don't know how much I trust this statement.

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby msv5010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:44 pm

On the subject of gaining residency after 1L...

University of Florida was my top choice when I started the cycle. I plan on going into tax law and I would love to practice in Florida, so UF would be a great option for me if I get in. However, when I went to the LSAC Forum in NYC, I asked the Florida rep what my chances are of gaining residency after my first year. The rep told me she highly doubted I could get instate tuition while in law school because of the strict rules they set. I told the rep that I have a residence in Naples, would move down there year-round, and do everything necessary, but the rep said it likely wouldn't matter. With this is mind my plans have changed and I am not sure how I feel about UF now. I also thought it was weird the FSU basically guaranteed instate after 1L when I asked.

If anyone has had success with the process I'd love to hear about it so I can make UF one of my top choices again (if I get in).

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 pm

rad law wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If OP is a 0L then it is likely that the economy will be much different after he graduates then what he is currently staring at. I have heard that getting in state tuition is easy yet I haven't seen anyone tell me how you obtain it. I have read in another thread that getting in state tuition in Florida can be tougher than you think. If anyone can find this out for sure I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll give you Gators credit, you are die hard for your school.


Maybe OP's south FL plans may change. This honestly comes down to that I believe that UF=or>Miami in south FL, and you believe Miami>UF in south FL. You believe Miami is worth sticker, while I believe it is nowhere close to being worth sticker. Neither of us is going to change each others' minds.

I'm not an expert on getting in-state, because I'm from FL, but it probably comes down to a combination of getting a FL license, registering to vote here, getting a job here, maintaining a permanent domicile here, and declaring an intention to live in FL upon graduation.

I am definitely not a Gator; I'm from FL but I most definitely do not go to school there. I just know a good deal when I see one.


When did I say I thought Miami was worth sticker? If you have to pay out of state tuition for three years at Florida, that is pretty much the same as what you are paying for 3 years at Miami. With that being the case, and the OP wanting to be in South Florida, I would take Miami as like I mentioned above, the numbers for two schools are pretty damn close, price is close (unless you get in state at Florida) and I think Miami is a better place to live than the swamp and there are more UM grads in Miami.

As for his south FL plans changing...maybe so. But I wouldn't bet on a maybe. I think OP plans on being in south FL for at least a few years to build up a rep.

As for instate tuition, you may be right. But I have talked to admissions from other schools that say you have to reside in the state for a full year and work full time in order to equaly for in state tuition. Is that the case for UF? No clue. But if the price is equal and you want to live in South FL I know I would be going to the U and when I did have a chance to go out I could do more than sit around a sink hole and drink bud light.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:51 pm

msv5010 wrote:On the subject of gaining residency after 1L...

University of Florida was my top choice when I started the cycle. I plan on going into tax law and I would love to practice in Florida, so UF would be a great option for me if I get in. However, when I went to the LSAC Forum in NYC, I asked the Florida rep what my chances are of gaining residency after my first year. The rep told me she highly doubted I could get instate tuition while in law school because of the strict rules they set. I told the rep that I have a residence in Naples, would move down there year-round, and do everything necessary, but the rep said it likely wouldn't matter. With this is mind my plans have changed and I am not sure how I feel about UF now. I also thought it was weird the FSU basically guaranteed instate after 1L when I asked.

If anyone has had success with the process I'd love to hear about it so I can make UF one of my top choices again (if I get in).


This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about. I called up LSU about getting in state tuition after the first year and they said you have live in the state and work full time for a year. Simply getting a drivers liscense and registering to vote wasn't enough. That would make you a resident for the purposes of the state of LA, but not for the purposes of paying in state tuition to LSU. I have heard this is the same for schools in Florida. Again, I couldn't tell you as I haven't talked to the admission people.

I read that UM has a good tax program, for whatever that is worth. However three years out of state at Florida is about what you would be paying for 3 years in Miami so if you are adverse to that kind of tuition money then UM is probably out of the question as well.

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby msv5010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:05 pm

Yeah I made sure to ask about that stuff (getting the license, living there for a year, etc.) and they said none of that is enough for tuition purposes. I could be wrong because the conversation was months ago, but I believe the rep mentioned the same kinds of things you did: working for an extended period of time in Florida, paying for some portion of your own tuition (as opposed to parents paying, who would not be Florida residents), living there for more than a year (maybe even 2-3), etc. Basically, the person said don't count on it. Meanwhile, Miami is offering me $23k/year which is almost equal to the offer I have at Rutgers (instate + scholarship). As you said, Miami has a similar tax program, so its definitely in my top 2 right now. Only thing that scares me is the GPA requirement for the Miami scholarship, which someone recently posted would have been about top33% this semester. I definitely don't want to get stuck paying sticker.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: UF v. Miami... and is 26 old?

Postby darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

msv5010 wrote:Yeah I made sure to ask about that stuff (getting the license, living there for a year, etc.) and they said none of that is enough for tuition purposes. I could be wrong because the conversation was months ago, but I believe the rep mentioned the same kinds of things you did: working for an extended period of time in Florida, paying for some portion of your own tuition (as opposed to parents paying, who would not be Florida residents), living there for more than a year (maybe even 2-3), etc. Basically, the person said don't count on it. Meanwhile, Miami is offering me $23k/year which is almost equal to the offer I have at Rutgers (instate + scholarship). As you said, Miami has a similar tax program, so its definitely in my top 2 right now. Only thing that scares me is the GPA requirement for the Miami scholarship, which someone recently posted would have been about top33% this semester. I definitely don't want to get stuck paying sticker.


Even one year with that 23k scholarship might be enough to get me to go to Miami. But thats because I don't really like Rutgers and I would have to be made a damn good offer to live in Jersey and deal with those winters, but thats just me. If I am paying the same between Rutgers and Miami then I am going to the U and enjoying the sun and beaches when I have time.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest