W&M vs GWU vs UGA vs Vandy

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

UGA w/ in-state
12%
W&M w/ $10k/yr
24%
GWU - full price
9%
Vandy - full price
56%

Total votes: 34

outlaw08

W&M vs GWU vs UGA vs Vandy

Postby outlaw08 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 pm

Ok...dilemma. I want the opportunity to practice "big law" in either DC or Atlanta. I've been waitlisted at GWU and Vandy. I feel like I have a good chance of getting off the waitlist at GWU - with no money however. I was awarded in-state tuition at UGA - they obviously place well in ATL but they say they also place decently in DC. For W&M, I was awarded $10k a year. Deadlines are quickly approaching...WHAT DO I DO?

insidethetwenty

Re: W&M vs GWU vs UGA vs Vandy

Postby insidethetwenty » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:15 pm

Try everything you can to get off the WL at Vandy. Otherwise I'd take the least expensive between UGA and W&M or choose whether you'd rather be in Atlanta or DC and choose based on that.

Blindmelon

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:19 pm

No way GW is worth sticker - Vandy is on the cusp of maybe being worth full fare. UGA and WM are both good choices - I'd take the latter, but I prefer DC to Atlanta. All depends on where you wanna work.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:41 pm

W&M without a doubt. Biglaw is tough from any of these schools, but at least W&M is cheap and feeds many graduates into other secure govt. positions, just in case biglaw doesn't work out. Obviously, try to get off the WLs, but even then, I think only Vandy is worth full price.

outlaw08

Postby outlaw08 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:48 pm

I feel UGA places a good bit into the biglaw scene in ATL...am i wrong?

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:57 pm

UGA graduates do very, very well in Atlanta. Alumni network and reputation in Atlanta is excellent, and with the very affordable cost of living I think you'd have a smaller amount of loans. With W&M you're going to be competing against T14s, W&L, GWU, etc. for DC jobs. UGA competes against some Emory grads and T14s/Vandy who want Atlanta. I think your odds of landing a better job lie with UGA. Vandy or GW at sticker aren't really worth it.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:58 pm

Vandy. Enjoy slaying hot, rich UGs for 3 years.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Vandy is yeah, as someone said above, on the cusp of being worth sticker. George Washington is almost assuredly not worth it. UGA I hear anecdotally places well in DC, but competition is tough with GULC, UVA, T-14, W&M, GW, and probably even W&L grads. If you wanted Biglaw in DC from UGA, plan on being in the top of your class. If you were more sure you wanted to stay in Georgia, however, UGA would be the obvious choice.

Without getting off WL at Vandy, I see this as a tough choice between W&M and UGA. If you are leaning towards a certain region, go with the school in that region. Other than that, I see this as a dead heat between two relatively regional schools. (UGA might be the safer bet, considering their good ATL placement). If you truly have no preference, take the least expensive of the two.

outlaw08

Postby outlaw08 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:21 pm

any clue on how to get off the dreadful WL at Vandy?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:29 pm

outlaw08 wrote:any clue on how to get off the dreadful WL at Vandy?

Write a good LOCI, visit the campus if you can, wait, and pray.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”