Request to defer for a year at berkeley Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jessmartinez424

New

Request to defer for a year at berkeley

Post by jessmartinez424 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:27 pm

I just got accepted into berkeley law but would like to defer for a year to take a job in DC. I know its different every year and for every case, but does anyone know the general trend for Berkeley's response to deferral requests? Are they strict or lenient in accepting requests to defer for a year and what kind of jobs/circumstances are they more likely to approve?

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Re: Request to defer for a year at berkeley

Post by Ialdabaoth » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Bump please!

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:38 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Bump please!
Why are you bumping? Seems early to have an admission from Berkeley in hand, no?

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:00 am

Redamon1 wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Bump please!
Why are you bumping? Seems early to have an admission from Berkeley in hand, no?
Haha, yeah, I definitely am not admitted yet. I'm trying to plan out whether I should apply this year or wait one more. I have an LSAC fee waiver that expires in July, but I'm unsure whether I will be able to begin law school next year. Berkeley is by far my top choice, and if I knew that they were generous with granting deferrals I would be more apt to go ahead and apply this year with my FW. I don't want to run the risk of applying, getting accepted, having to request a deferral, having the deferral request denied, and being stuck with having to apply the next year as someone who was accepted but didn't attend.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:10 am

Well, I got a deferral for a mix of professional and personal reasons. I know others who did as well. I can't say how many saw their request turned down. But I would say that as long as you have a legit reason (not just "oh I don't feel like coming yet"), you should be OK. But if I were you, I would only apply if I were seriously considering attending this year. Because if you are accepted and they decline to give you a deferral for whatever reason (e.g. maybe they gave you $ and won't defer the scholarship), then you are in a bind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 am

I deferred after being accepted last cycle. Literally requested a deferral in an email one morning and got confirmation of my deferral that afternoon, no extra questions asked. I feel like I had a legitimate reason (then again, who doesn't?), but I agree 100% with Redamon. If you can't attend next year, don't apply this cycle. Besides, waiting will probably provide an added benefit anyway if LSAT takers continue to decline.

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks for the responses! I'm not really sure how legit my reason would seem. Basically, I'm working as a paralegal in NYC right now. My girlfriend, who I live with, is in a teaching program that is supposed to last two years, but she's unsure she'll stick with it for the second year (next year). If she does though, I would be tied down to NYC for another year. I think she probably won't do it next year, so that's why I kind of want to go ahead and apply.

Think there's any way I could frame this as a good reason for a deferral?

iMisto

Silver

Post by iMisto » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:52 pm

I would dump her for Berkeley. Honestly.

Or at least do a long distance thing for a bit...

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:05 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Thanks for the responses! I'm not really sure how legit my reason would seem. Basically, I'm working as a paralegal in NYC right now. My girlfriend, who I live with, is in a teaching program that is supposed to last two years, but she's unsure she'll stick with it for the second year (next year). If she does though, I would be tied down to NYC for another year. I think she probably won't do it next year, so that's why I kind of want to go ahead and apply.

I think saying that you have to rearrange things in your life so that you can work it out with your partner / wife given her constraints is legit. Also, several people here (myself included) are doing the long distance thing for a bit (1 year in my case). I would also emphasize the positive i.e. that you gain additional experience from working an additional year...

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:29 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
Ialdabaoth wrote:Thanks for the responses! I'm not really sure how legit my reason would seem. Basically, I'm working as a paralegal in NYC right now. My girlfriend, who I live with, is in a teaching program that is supposed to last two years, but she's unsure she'll stick with it for the second year (next year). If she does though, I would be tied down to NYC for another year. I think she probably won't do it next year, so that's why I kind of want to go ahead and apply.

I think saying that you have to rearrange things in your life so that you can work it out with your partner / wife given her constraints is legit. Also, several people here (myself included) are doing the long distance thing for a bit (1 year in my case). I would also emphasize the positive i.e. that you gain additional experience from working an additional year...
Thanks, I appreciate your optimism, and the point about emphasizing the positive is a good one. We're hoping to stick together though because we started out our relationship doing long distance for over a year--not too much fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”