Should I wait on Berkeley?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Wait for an unlikely acceptance from B
36%
Sign the lease in Bloomington
64%

Total votes: 58

buddyblack

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby buddyblack » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:10 am

Enjoy being debt-free and happy at IUB. That's what I would do anyway.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:23 am

I'm going to guess this isn't really about a lease, but about where you want to be, and how you want your life to be, for the next three years and onwards. I say go with UIB. If that's where the person you lurv is, closer to where you want to work (and with a very strong alumni network, placement opportunities, etc) and, oh yeah, free, then it's a no brainer. If a Berkeley acceptance would get you to go there, then wait it out and see, but at this point you could just sit down and determine if that would be the case anyway, and decide accordingly.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:46 pm

If you just want to work in Chicago and aren't set on a certain job, then I see no reason to go to Berkeley. Berkeley will give you better options for prestigious law positions at Chicago, but it will probably actually be harder to get spots at smaller firms in Illinois from Cal.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:54 pm

If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.

And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.

narkizopoint

Postby narkizopoint » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Cleareyes wrote:The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.

It is so easy to lose this perspective, thanks for reminding us.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Cleareyes wrote:If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.

And what nobody seems to be mentioning is that with a 165 LSAT you are also a long shot at Berkeley. There's no reason to hold up your life for a small chance at getting into a school you don't even like, just because that school offers better job opportunities. Heck if your long shot pays off and you do get admitted, you may be able to find someone else to take over your lease or whatever anyway, so it's not like this completely cuts off your options. But frankly, you're probably better off living near your fiancee anyway. The law school you attend is not the most important thing in your life. Hopefully.

Impeccable pro-happiness trolling

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:49 pm

Cleareyes wrote:If you completely love IUB and Berkeley is "definitely not your dream school" I would take the apartment.

+1

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 pm

Indiana made a huge surge since the last time I looked at this thread. It had been Berkeley 2-to-1 last time I looked.

I agree with the majority of you. I have a pretty specific set of criteria for my living situation and finding a place that meets all of them while staying affordable has been pretty rare. On top of that, it's a 10-hour drive from my house to Bloomington, so it's pretty difficult to get out there just to do some apartment hunting. Also, I very strongly doubt that I will be getting into Berkeley. In the off-chance I do get in and actually accept their offer, I can sublet and take a loss if I have to.

Thanks, all.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:56 pm

I was rejected by Berkeley. I'm happy to be moving on with IU!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”