Should I wait on Berkeley?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Wait for an unlikely acceptance from B
21
36%
Sign the lease in Bloomington
37
64%
 
Total votes: 58

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:21 pm

I am approved at an apartment complex in Bloomington, IN, and I need to sign a lease ASAP to get the model I want. The only thing stopping me is that Berkeley hasn't given me a decision. If I get waitlisted, I will be withdrawing. What should I do?

Edited to add details:

- full ride at IU
- preferred market: Chicago
- completely love both the LS and campus at IU
- rejected or WLed at all other T14s I applied to
- no interest at living in CA after graduation
- never been to California before
- fiancee will be living in IL
Last edited by Vincent Vega on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Ethan Edwards
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Ethan Edwards » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I am approved at an apartment complex in Bloomington, IN, and I need to sign a lease ASAP to get the model I want. The only thing stopping me is that Berkeley hasn't given me a decision. If I get waitlisted, I will be withdrawing. What should I do?


Numbers?

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:31 pm

Numbers and when did you send your app in?

User avatar
Maven
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Maven » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:34 pm

If you sign the lease you will be legally obligated to fulfill the terms, which may mean that you are on the hook for the entire term, unless you are able to sublet.
If you break the lease there is a possibility that the LL or agent will not chase you, and will merely keep your security deposit, but if they can't rent the unit they won't be so understanding.
Most LLs are going to squeeze you and not let you walk.
Unless the place is wonderful, I would suggest waiting a bit, especially if you think that you have a shot at Boalt.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:55 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Numbers and when did you send your app in?


Numbers are in profile: 165/3.92

Sent in app on 10/31. See my LSN for more details.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:01 pm

You probably have a shot at Berkeley (don't they like high GPAs?)...and I would think they would place better in Chicago than IU does...I would wait, but that's just me...

sfdreaming09
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 pm

wait for Cal...your post-grad opps will be incomparably better coming from Berktown
Last edited by sfdreaming09 on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:10 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:You probably have a shot at Berkeley (don't they like high GPAs?)...and I would think they would place better in Chicago than IU does...I would wait, but that's just me...


I agree with the placement stats argument, but going to a T30 school for free is so enticing.

I would almost be kind of disappointed if I got into Berkeley at this point because I am so dead-set on going to IU.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 pm

I would wait . . . there will always be more decent apartments . . . the better law school could change your life. Also, are you certain the apartment manager isn't jerking you around? Is it really that urgent you sign the lease, or could the guy just be trying to hustle you into it? Just something to consider if you haven't/.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:24 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:You probably have a shot at Berkeley (don't they like high GPAs?)...and I would think they would place better in Chicago than IU does...I would wait, but that's just me...


I agree with the placement stats argument, but going to a T30 school for free is so enticing.

I would almost be kind of disappointed if I got into Berkeley at this point because I am so dead-set on going to IU.


If you want to go to IU that much, you should go, but it would be hard for me to pass up Berkeley. Free is great though, haha.

User avatar
amputatedbrain
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby amputatedbrain » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:27 pm

I forgot to ask . . . are you waiting on the faculty committee decisions at Berkeley, or haven't heard anything since you applied?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:I forgot to ask . . . are you waiting on the faculty committee decisions at Berkeley, or haven't heard anything since you applied?


I'm not sure. I get a lot of law school emails, as I am sure most of you do, and I seem to remember getting something along the lines of that, but I am not 100% and I don't have the email anymore, if I got it at all.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:56 pm

Dude, loosing your dream apartment is not as bad as loosing your dream school. Its not like you can't find another building mon.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 am

Veyron wrote:Dude, loosing your dream apartment is not as bad as loosing your dream school. Its not like you can't find another building mon.

This apartment is not really my dream apartment, and Berkeley is definitely not my dream school. I just don't want to have to shop around for apartments anymore. I've already visited this one.

User avatar
annapavlova
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:53 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby annapavlova » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:34 am

A FULL ride to IU? You want to work in Chicago?

Berkeley is great (read: awesome), but a full-ride to a school that will do well for you in the region you want to work in? Take it and run.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:35 am

Halibut6 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Dude, loosing your dream apartment is not as bad as loosing your dream school. Its not like you can't find another building mon.

This apartment is not really my dream apartment, and Berkeley is definitely not my dream school. I just don't want to have to shop around for apartments anymore. I've already visited this one.


A weekend spent apartment hunting is still a really bad reason to pass up a shot at a T-14, especially since it is Berk that you are holding out for and your GPA is up there.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby fortissimo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:52 am

Halibut6 wrote:I am approved at an apartment complex in Bloomington, IN, and I need to sign a lease ASAP to get the model I want. The only thing stopping me is that Berkeley hasn't given me a decision. If I get waitlisted, I will be withdrawing. What should I do?

Edited to add details:

- full ride at IU
- preferred market: Chicago
- completely love both the LS and campus at IU
- rejected or WLed at all other T14s I applied to
- no interest at living in CA after graduation
- never been to California before
- fiancee will be living in IL


This apartment is not really my dream apartment, and Berkeley is definitely not my dream school. I just don't want to have to shop around for apartments anymore. I've already visited this one.


It seems like you have already made up your mind...

Anecdotal, but I have personally withdrawn from a lease after signing a lease and nothing happened except I lost my deposit, but it's a risk you will have to take if you sign.

Is there a way to submit the deposit in order to "hold" the apartment for awhile but not sign the lease yet?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 am

Veyron wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
Veyron wrote:Dude, loosing your dream apartment is not as bad as loosing your dream school. Its not like you can't find another building mon.

This apartment is not really my dream apartment, and Berkeley is definitely not my dream school. I just don't want to have to shop around for apartments anymore. I've already visited this one.


A weekend spent apartment hunting is still a really bad reason to pass up a shot at a T-14, especially since it is Berk that you are holding out for and your GPA is up there.


I'm with you, but a weekend spent apartment hunting in Indiana is a significant event when you live in North Carolina.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 am

Halibut6 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:You probably have a shot at Berkeley (don't they like high GPAs?)...and I would think they would place better in Chicago than IU does...I would wait, but that's just me...


I agree with the placement stats argument, but going to a T30 school for free is so enticing.

I would almost be kind of disappointed if I got into Berkeley at this point because I am so dead-set on going to IU.


Look into job placement ITE and you might not be so ready to go to IUB.

IUB didn't even place well in Chicago in the boom years.

UCInfo
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby UCInfo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:13 am

Setting aside the full-ride IU vs. T14 debate, at the very least you should have all your options in front of you before making a decision this big.

IU obviously wants you. If you forego this apartment, I'm sure the IU admissions department would bend over backwards to help you locate another decent place.

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby najumobi » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:You probably have a shot at Berkeley (don't they like high GPAs?)...and I would think they would place better in Chicago than IU does...I would wait, but that's just me...


I agree with the placement stats argument, but going to a T30 school for free is so enticing.

I would almost be kind of disappointed if I got into Berkeley at this point because I am so dead-set on going to IU.


Look into job placement ITE and you might not be so ready to go to IUB.

IUB didn't even place well in Chicago in the boom years.

what does the chicago job placement numbers for IUB ITE look like?

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Vincent Vega » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:37 am

I don't really care that much about how IUB places into biglaw, as I don't really want that. About 20 percent of IU's grads end up in Chicago - not sure about how many of those are biglaw.

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Nom Sawyer » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:45 am

Halibut... go with the apartment and IU. The reason is:

Berkeley >>> IU + Full Scholarship

but

IU + Full Scholarship + Fiancee in IL >>> Berkeley. Thus if I were you, I would consider staying at IU even if I eventually got into Berkeley. Plus you don't want Biglaw and want to work in Chicago.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby fortissimo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:50 am

Given your other reasons and the fact that you don't want biglaw (tipping factor, not that it really exists now anyway...) there's no reason to go to Berkeley since it's probably going to cost you over 220k of debt when you take into account the tuition and high COL. OOS tuition for your 1L year alone would be 53k.
http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf

User avatar
Mroberts3
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Should I wait on Berkeley?

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:04 am

I love Berkeley and am dying for them to let me in, but for you I would take what you clearly want and not look back.

Sure, Berk>>>IUB+ full ride, but if you throw in your SO's location, desire for Chicago, lack of biglaw desire etc I don't think it's crazy to go for IUB.

Adding in OOS tuition (even if it is only for one year) and the higher COL -- now it's not even a contest.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: doyleoil and 4 guests