UF (in State) v. GMU (sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

University of Florida (In State) v. George Mason (Sticker)

UF (In state)
74%
GMU (sticker)
26%

Total votes: 27

ram jam

UF (in State) v. GMU (sticker)

Postby ram jam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:52 am

University of Florida dominates the Florida legal market and offers incredibly low tuition for in-state students. However, national mobility is limited and starting salaries are mediocre.

George Mason places well in D.C. and Nova. Higher starting salary, but also a higher cost of living,etc. More opportunities?

If you could attend UF at the in-state tuition of $14,500 + $14,000 COA/Year, or GMU at $35,000 + $21,500 COA/Year, which would you choose and why?
Last edited by ram jam on Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

kittenmittons

Re: UF (in State) v. GMU (sticker)

Postby kittenmittons » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:54 am

ram jam wrote:What would choose? Why?

Career goals, location pref, etc.?

kickincane21

Postby kickincane21 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:14 am

I'm from Florida as well and accepted at both, so interested in seeing the results. Hopefully GMU and/or Florida still surprises me (us) with some $$$. On their website it says they offer priority $$$ to residents, and since I've gotten money from higher ranked schools they should throw some pity money my way at least.

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 am

if you dont mind staying in florida i'd say you're pretty golden if you go to UF

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:21 am

kickincane21 wrote:I'm from Florida as well and accepted at both, so interested in seeing the results. Hopefully GMU and/or Florida still surprises me (us) with some $$$. On their website it says they offer priority $$$ to residents, and since I've gotten money from higher ranked schools they should throw some pity money my way at least.

They do tend to give more money to residents, but it's normally still not too much, since tuition is so low.

OP, as others have stated, you must decide where you would like to live and what your career goals are. Keep in mind too that with the state of the legal economy, good jobs for even top-notch students aren't easy to find. It is even more important today to keep costs as low as you can, while going to a school that will help you accomplish your goals.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

GatorStudent wrote:
kickincane21 wrote:I'm from Florida as well and accepted at both, so interested in seeing the results. Hopefully GMU and/or Florida still surprises me (us) with some $$$. On their website it says they offer priority $$$ to residents, and since I've gotten money from higher ranked schools they should throw some pity money my way at least.

They do tend to give more money to residents, but it's normally still not too much, since tuition is so low.

OP, as others have stated, you must decide where you would like to live and what your career goals are. Keep in mind too that with the state of the legal economy, good jobs for even top-notch students aren't easy to find. It is even more important today to keep costs as low as you can, while going to a school that will help you accomplish your goals.

This is very true. I honestly would prefer to got to GMU for location and career opportunities, but the basement low cost of a good legal degree from Florida is hard to turn down. I am interested in seeing how other people would decide between the two schools.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 pm

see if we can get some more input on the poll...

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 pm

UF. If you plan to stay in state, UF>>GMU

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm

Mason competes with Georgetown, UVA, and George Washington (better schools) as well as American and Catholic (somewhat peer schools) for DC. Add all the T14 trying to get into DC.

Florida is pretty awesome in Florida. If you're happy in Florida stay in Florida. Mason isn't a bad school, but you'll have a tough time in the DC market unless you graduate from the top of your class.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm not gonna vote in the poll, because if you think you're gonna stay in FL, go to UF. If you want to be in the VA and DC area, go to GMU. You've got a big life-choice to make here.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm

I would rather practice in D.C. or Virginia, than Florida. However, the disparity of debt between the schools makes me almost indifferent. Though I would like to leave florida, the price for attending GMU makes that decision less appealing.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:39 pm

holydonkey wrote:Mason competes with Georgetown, UVA, and George Washington (better schools) as well as American and Catholic (somewhat peer schools) for DC. Add all the T14 trying to get into DC.

Florida is pretty awesome in Florida. If you're happy in Florida stay in Florida. Mason isn't a bad school, but you'll have a tough time in the DC market unless you graduate from the top of your class.

You're gonna have a tough time in FL unless you're top of your class as well. Legal market's not doing so hot in FL, and there is competition from FSU, Miami, and the maybe even the top students from Stetson (depending on where you are in FL). I would not want to be an "average" UF Law student in this market. You don't have to make top 10% to get a job, but stay away from the median.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:40 pm

ram jam wrote:I would rather practice in D.C. or Virginia, than Florida. However, the disparity of debt between the schools makes me almost indifferent. Though I would like to leave florida, the price for attending GMU makes that decision less appealing.

If this is the case, go with GMU

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:42 pm

ram jam wrote:I would rather practice in D.C. or Virginia, than Florida. However, the disparity of debt between the schools makes me almost indifferent. Though I would like to leave florida, the price for attending GMU makes that decision less appealing.

If you're indifferent, go to UF. FL isn't a bad place to live, and debt is real.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:30 pm

rad law wrote:

If you're indifferent, go to UF. FL isn't a bad place to live, and debt is real.

Debt is very real.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm

wiggsb wrote:Debt be dammed. If you EVER want to practice outside of Alachua county you better go to GMU.

I really hope this is sarcasm, because if not, this is very bad advice.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:22 pm

rad law wrote:
wiggsb wrote:Debt be dammed. If you EVER want to practice outside of Alachua county you better go to GMU.

I really hope this is sarcasm, because if not, this is very bad advice.

You're right.

If you EVER want to practice outside of Gainesville, you better go to GMU.

(In the interest of full disclosure I'm trying to free up as many seats at UF as possible)

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:39 pm

rad law wrote:You're gonna have a tough time in FL unless you're top of your class as well. Legal market's not doing so hot in FL, and there is competition from FSU, Miami, and the maybe even the top students from Stetson (depending on where you are in FL). I would not want to be an "average" UF Law student in this market. You don't have to make top 10% to get a job, but stay away from the median.

Even people in the top 10% here are having trouble finding jobs. It's good for the OP (and others) to know. At the same time, as mentioned above, GMU is competing against many D.C.-area schools, along with the rest of the T14. The OP definitely has to determine what is most important to him/her.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”