BYU$$ v Cornell v UCLA$ v GULC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wired

Re: BYU$$ v Cornell v UCLA$ v GULC

Postby wired » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:10 pm

Cupidity wrote:fuck BYU-why even consider it? I'd rather slit my wrists.

If I remember correctly, you classify yourself as either LGBT, right? That might make your evaluation a little different than an LDS student's evaluation of BYU.

johnstuartmill

Postby johnstuartmill » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 pm

Is the BYU scholarship contingent upon a certain class rank? I have a friend who goes to BYU and says the competition there is insane, because there are a lot of students with contingent scholarships, and that many of these students have young families to feed and thus an abnormally strong impetus to studying hard.

I think your question can be answered best by first determining where you want to end up. If you're vying for local political office in California, then go to UCLA, no questions asked. If you're interested in behind-the-scenes government work, GULC is a great place to build those connections. If your BYU scholarships isn't contingent -- and if you don't mind Utah Mormon culture, which may be different from the Mormon culture you know elsewhere -- then you might as well try your luck there.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:39 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:Is the BYU scholarship contingent upon a certain class rank? I have a friend who goes to BYU and says the competition there is insane, because there are a lot of students with contingent scholarships, and that many of these students have young families to feed and thus an abnormally strong impetus to studying hard.

I think your question can be answered best by first determining where you want to end up. If you're vying for local political office in California, then go to UCLA, no questions asked. If you're interested in behind-the-scenes government work, GULC is a great place to build those connections. If your BYU scholarships isn't contingent -- and if you don't mind Utah Mormon culture, which may be different from the Mormon culture you know elsewhere -- then you might as well try your luck there.

Yeah, the BYU scholarship has strings attached. The scholarship policy is that you have to be in the top 1/3 to keep the full amount, if you fall to the middle 1/3 then the amount is cut in half and if you fall to the bottom 1/3 you lose it completely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”