Arkansas $$ v. WUSTL $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hsprophet

Bronze

Re: Arkansas $$ v. WUSTL $

Post by hsprophet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah, there's pros and cons of going anywhere. I've lived in NWA before, and it was really nice. When it comes down to it, places in AR are just as good as many around the country. It's not I think they are bad, I just have a desire for a change.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:01 pm

hsprophet wrote:Yeah, there's pros and cons of going anywhere. I've lived in NWA before, and it was really nice. When it comes down to it, places in AR are just as good as many around the country. It's not I think they are bad, I just have a desire for a change.
Then don't go to AR. Even if you are saving alot of money I'd hate to go to law school for three years then say "Damn after all that work now I am basically stuck here" and be unhappy.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:WUSTL is probably the least portable of the T20
That's not correct. BU, Emory and Minn all place over 50% in their home region. WUSTL only places ~25%. Texas is roughly two-thirds in-region, USC and UCLA over 80% stay in pacific. Of schools ranked 15-20, only Vandy and WUSTL place over half outside the home region (probably influenced by STL and TN being small markets).

Not saying WUSTL is necessarily better than the other schools ranked 15-20. But its problem is not mobility.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:53 pm

NayBoer wrote:
That's not correct. BU, Emory and Minn all place over 50% in their home region. WUSTL only places ~25%. Texas is roughly two-thirds in-region, USC and UCLA over 80% stay in pacific. Of schools ranked 15-20, only Vandy and WUSTL place over half outside the home region (probably influenced by STL and TN being small markets).

Not saying WUSTL is necessarily better than the other schools ranked 15-20. But its problem is not mobility.
Minneapolis isn't significantly larger than STL, so city size probably isn't the problem for WashU. SLU is the only competition, essentially. WashU and Vandy place pretty well in DC and NYC, but that's going to primarily be the top of the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:05 pm

stratocophic wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Minneapolis isn't significantly larger than STL, so city size probably isn't the problem for WashU. SLU is the only competition, essentially. WashU and Vandy place pretty well in DC and NYC, but that's going to primarily be the top of the class.
Yeah, good point. I'm just trying to temper my own impulse to viciously troll for WUSTL, since I feel bad I turned them down for NU.

Edit - also, both WUSTL and VULS go to CHI in decent numbers.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:08 pm

NayBoer wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
NayBoer wrote:

Yeah, good point. I'm just trying to temper my own impulse to viciously troll for WUSTL, since I feel bad I turned them down for NU.
No worries, I can handle the pro-WUSTL trolling until I get into a T14/Vandy and have to start being realistic for decision making purposes :wink:

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:21 pm

I can't decide if I want to be in AR or not. Got into UALR waiting on Fayetteville. I'm thinking about where I want to be afterwards. Don't think it's AR. Huge Hog fan but I'm ready for a change. Currently don't even live in the country so maybe it wouldn't be that bad to come back.

Any way to get to Washington with a JD from UA or UALR? Let me reframe that Q. How would one do that?

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:19 am

william wallace wrote:I can't decide if I want to be in AR or not. Got into UALR waiting on Fayetteville. I'm thinking about where I want to be afterwards. Don't think it's AR. Huge Hog fan but I'm ready for a change. Currently don't even live in the country so maybe it wouldn't be that bad to come back.

Any way to get to Washington with a JD from UA or UALR? Let me reframe that Q. How would one do that?
I would say that UALR will keep you in Arkansas. UA has more of a reach - a large number of their graduates end up in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas. If you were headed to Washingon, definitely go with UA if you have no other option besides UALR. How to do it? It would be tough, but it's all about making contacts and putting forth the effort starting day one of law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:07 pm

LR is the government HQ of Arkansas. I don't know if that necesarrily would help getting into politics outside of the state. UA = better reputation. UALR = more political connections, but they may only help for politics inside of state.

I don't believe the OP is interested in this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”