Arkansas $$ v. WUSTL $ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
finigol

New

Arkansas $$ v. WUSTL $

Post by finigol » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:17 am

I'm looking to do public defender, assistant prosecutor, legal aid...something like that.

I live in Arkansas, and I am OK with staying for a while.

Arkansas represents around 60k in debt, while WUSTL would probably be around 140k.

Will WUSTL boost my career if I want to move up to bigger things? Is WUSTL worth the extra debt? Are there any other factors to consider?

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Re: Arkansas $$ v. WUSTL $

Post by Joga Bonito » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:20 am

Did you get accepted to any other schools between those two thats kind of a big rankings gap? I honestly don't know i would go to wustl but if you wanna stay in arkansas and be a public defender I don't know.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:22 am

Yes, but barely. If that makes sense. In other words, you're pushing it.

However, if you don't want to stay in Arkansas forever, Arkansas might not be a good idea.

WUSTL is at least mobile around the MidWest and maybe even further.

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 am

Joga Bonito wrote:Did you get accepted to any other schools between those two thats kind of a big rankings gap? I honestly don't know i would go to wustl but if you wanna stay in arkansas and be a public defender I don't know.

I did get accepted to some other schools in the middle, but none of them gave enough dollars to be a reasonable alternative to the two extremes.

redginseng

New

Post by redginseng » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 am

What is your career aspiration? Where do you work after school?

If you want a chance at major markets like NYC, Chicago, LA... you'll need pick wustl, although ITE it won't be easy. From Arkansas, there's slim to no chance of biglaw in cities like NYC or Chicago.

But if you want to stay in Arkansas and do public interest (or Arkansas legal market), then Arkansas would be a reasonable choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:21 am

If the prospect of leaving Arkansas is worth the extra debt, choose WUSTL. If you know, for sure, that Arkansas is where you want to make your life/career, then Arkansas is probably your best bet.

Has Arkansas offered you full tuition? If they haven't, you might try to negotiate up to full or close-to-full tuition. That might seal the deal in their favor.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:25 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:47 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Have you already gotten $ from WUSTL? Are you just assuming that is what you will get?
Its a conservative assumption based on last years numbers.

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:02 am

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:AR residents LOVE their razorbacks.
Sadly that is a major factor of the desire I have to leave the state.

However, I'm willing to take dollars over pride....at least over foolish pride.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:00 am

I got a full ride at AR but likely won't be going there. They were more of a fall back school. Nothing so much against the state just not a top choice.

Back to your question, damn those are some pretty big extremes. How old are you? if You are in your early to mid 20s and single then I would advise maybe looking at one of the schools in the middle of the two extremes. What you want at age 23 could be alot different than at age 33 or 43. If you are older or have a family then perhaps the money is a much bigger factor and settling down in AR with very little debt is the more practical choice.

Joga Bonito

Bronze

Post by Joga Bonito » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:31 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I got a full ride at AR but likely won't be going there. They were more of a fall back school. Nothing so much against the state just not a top choice.

Back to your question, damn those are some pretty big extremes. How old are you? if You are in your early to mid 20s and single then I would advise maybe looking at one of the schools in the middle of the two extremes. What you want at age 23 could be alot different than at age 33 or 43. If you are older or have a family then perhaps the money is a much bigger factor and settling down in AR with very little debt is the more practical choice.
+1 Yeah if your older then def. take the money.

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:43 pm

darknightbegins wrote:I got a full ride at AR but likely won't be going there. They were more of a fall back school. Nothing so much against the state just not a top choice.

Early 20s....still haven't made up my mind. I may just flip a coin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

illiniKID9

New

Post by illiniKID9 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:55 pm

take the WUSTL. it is probably worth the initial debt, WUSTL is a very good program and carries with some weight even if some would argue that it does not. if you ever change your mind from public law to private, the WUSTL degree with its alumni base will be very handy. also, it will help you practice in larger size firms throughout the midwest and east coast. unless you dont care about this stuff. both schools are fine choices....if your doing public law you might want to look into LRAP. this can possibly change your decision about any accepted school. ciao ciao

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:02 pm

How do you get into WUSTL with even a little scholarship money and NOT get a full ride from AR?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:05 pm

finigol wrote:

If you go to AR be damn sure you are comfortable at least living in that state for a while after graduation. Care to share the other options with us besides the two you listed?

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
finigol wrote:

If you go to AR be damn sure you are comfortable at least living in that state for a while after graduation. Care to share the other options with us besides the two you listed?
I've been accepted to W&L and Santa Clara, but they would both cost the same as WUSTL. I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Georgia, University of Florida, and Florida State. Those might prove to be more compelling choices.
Last edited by finigol on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 pm

illiniKID9 wrote:take the WUSTL. it is probably worth the initial debt, WUSTL is a very good program and carries with some weight even if some would argue that it does not. if you ever change your mind from public law to private, the WUSTL degree with its alumni base will be very handy. also, it will help you practice in larger size firms throughout the midwest and east coast. unless you dont care about this stuff. both schools are fine choices....if your doing public law you might want to look into LRAP. this can possibly change your decision about any accepted school. ciao ciao
I do have an almost full scholarship at Arkansas, but it requires top 20%. I'm not going to count on that.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:20 pm

finigol wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
finigol wrote:

I've been accepted to W&L and Santa Clara, but they would both cost the same as WUSTL. I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Georgia, University of Flordia, and Flordia State. Those might prove to be more compelling choices.
Post when you hear from Florida State. I am currently on hold there. I think I might go with W&L, but that is personal peference. Santa Clara is overpriced unless you are dead set for IP.

As for AR, I guess it isn't as bad as I thought. Probably my own stereotypical view of the state but apparently going to AR wouldn't be so bad, at least according to this:

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/ar ... estate-buy

I was talking out my ass a bit so I apologize. If you want to be a public defender or work for the government then I don't see going to AR bad. Seems like it could be a nice place to live.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 am

At AR (Fayetteville), only about half of last year's class stayed in the state after graduation. The rest went to Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and a few scattered about the country.

AR is definitely a regional school, but doesn't lock you into staying in the state. If you go there, don't count on staying in Northwest AR. Little Rock is probably still the biggest market. But of course being interesting in PI/Govt work, it might be a little different for you.

I too want to leave AR. If I stayed, I would want to be in NWA, but it looks like that's a longshot. The biggest firms there only have 10-15 attorneys.

Location after school is a huge factor in my decision. I would just give serious thought to where you want to be and choose a school accordingly. Personally I'm willing to pay more to get out of the state. It's not that bad, but being here nearly my entire life has burned me out, and I'm tired of being in a rural area.

finigol

New

Post by finigol » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm

The only part of Arkansas that can be really undesirable is in the delta area. imo

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm

finigol wrote:The only part of Arkansas that can be really undesirable is in the delta area. imo
I agree. It's really just a personal choice. Some people really like the small, rural areas. Others prefer big cities. Personally, we're looking for a big metropolitan area that Arkansas just doesn't have.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

The metro at AR is over 420,000. What big metro cities are you thinking, population wise? Not trying to argue with you, just trying to get an idea.

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 am

We really like cities like Columbus, Knoxville, Louisville, etc. NWA is great, but it's suburbs without the city. I like the Rivermarket in Little Rock (we really want a place with a nice downtown). A big part of it is that I've lived in Arkansas nearly my whole life, and I just want to move for the sake of moving. There are a lot of places out there I consider "nicer" - better economy, schools, etc.

It's not so much the population as it is the available activities.

I've been in a town of 13,000 for almost six years, and it's time to "move up."

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:37 pm

hsprophet wrote:We really like cities like Columbus, Knoxville, Louisville, etc. NWA is great, but it's suburbs without the city. I like the Rivermarket in Little Rock (we really want a place with a nice downtown). A big part of it is that I've lived in Arkansas nearly my whole life, and I just want to move for the sake of moving. There are a lot of places out there I consider "nicer" - better economy, schools, etc.

It's not so much the population as it is the available activities.

I've been in a town of 13,000 for almost six years, and it's time to "move up."
Fayettville has a metro population of over 400,000 and is consistenly listed as one of the best places to live in the United States. So I think that would qualify has moving up from a town of 13,000. Tuition is dirt cheap for AR even if you don't get that scholly after the first year. However if you want to just get the fuck out of the state, which I don't blame anyone for wanting to leave a state just to live some where else, then don't go there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”