Loyola W/ 85K or UC Hastings @ Sticker for PI?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Loyola W/ 85K or UC Hastings @ Sticker for PI??

Loyola W/ 85K
68%
UC Hastings @ Sticker
32%

Total votes: 57

RadMobile

Bronze

Loyola W/ 85K or UC Hastings @ Sticker for PI??

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm

There have been many topics and posts about Loyola v. Pepperdine v. UC Hastings/Davis as they relate to Big Law, but how about for PI?

I'd like to live in CA, and I really don't care whether I live in N. California or S. California.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Re: Loyola W/ 85K or UC Hastings @ Sticker for PI??

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm

I don't know much about Loyola and/or the SoCal market, but I DO know that paying sticker for Hastings is an iffy prospect. I think Loyola is the best bet, especially if you don't have a NoCal/SoCal preference.

S de Garmeaux

Bronze

Post by S de Garmeaux » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I don't know much about Loyola and/or the SoCal market, but I DO know that paying sticker for Hastings is an iffy prospect. I think Loyola is the best bet, especially if you don't have a NoCal/SoCal preference.
especially for PI

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:10 pm

Take whatever school offers you the most money for PI, especially if you are indifferent to their locations.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm

Definitely go Loyola for PI for no other reason than the cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Yeah, I've been leaning more towards the option that will result in the least debt possible, especially with PI in mind.

Thanks for the good input as well. Nothing is more irritating than "Neither - Retake".
Last edited by RadMobile on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Here's my crazy thinking:

Go Hastings. Because you'll still graduate Loyola with more than $114K in debt. (Assuming that you meet any scholarship-retention requirements, that you max out LLS's COA and that you have no other source of law school funding.) Yes, that's half of what you could carry out of Hastings.

But ...

Let's say you go to Hastings and don't do well enough to wring some 2L and 3L $$ from 'em. You pay sticker the entire 3 years. That sucks, truly. But you've paid for a few more open doors (presumably). And if you truly are committed to PI, then IBR takes care of the difference between $114K in debt from Loyola and $200K in debt from Hastings (assuming you can borrow all that in federally-subsidized loans). With IBR, your monthly payment is tied to income, rather than debt load. After 10 years, your debt is gone.

Maybe I'm just nuts.

(Disclosure: One of my hopes is Hastings. ... So, on second thought: Go to Loyola and tell Hastings to give me your seat.)

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:26 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Go Hastings. Because you'll still graduate Loyola with more than $114K in debt. (Assuming that you meet any scholarship-retention requirements, that you max out LLS's COA and that you have no other source of law school funding.) Yes, that's half of what you could carry out of Hastings.
My wife is a licensed social worker, so while our income may not be anything to rave about, we will have income to help with COL.

FuzzyKiwi

New

Post by FuzzyKiwi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:32 pm

IMHO, I think a visit is really important here. Meet with the financial aid offices, and figure out what the true cost will really be (esp. if the LLS scholly comes with stipulations). I was making a similar decision last year, for PI, and was pondering a lot of the same considerations. I think the kind of PI is important as well, as the LA and SF nonprofit communities look really different.

Just in the interest of giving more information, The National Jurist publishes a PI law school ranking, and LLS is high up on the list after Northeastern. A friend of mine, a 3L at Hastings, gave anecdotal advice that Hastings is very corporate-focused and the PI student community is very small and close-knit.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/b ... aw-schools

I ended up doing the un-helpful wait-a-year-and-retake-the-LSAT thing. (Which I’m not recommending, just letting you know)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ozarkhack

Bronze

Post by ozarkhack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

RadMobile wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:Go Hastings. Because you'll still graduate Loyola with more than $114K in debt. (Assuming that you meet any scholarship-retention requirements, that you max out LLS's COA and that you have no other source of law school funding.) Yes, that's half of what you could carry out of Hastings.
My wife is a licensed social worker, so while our income may not be anything to rave about, we will have income to help with COL.
This could make a difference, but I assume she'd work in either city and defray the costs in both cases. So could that factor be a wash? It's not totally clear to me at what debt level the IBR advantage disappears, but I think it gets kind of tricky once you dip down into sub-$100K territory.

Good luck either way.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Make sure you really look into what the cost of going to the different schools is. For public interest, Hastings is well-known in southern california and places students very well in this area. So is money a concern? Maybe, maybe not. Tuition/COL will be roughly equal, so Loyola will end up costing $85k less. However, you will still need to take out another $80k+ in loans for living and tuition. If you enter income-based repayment under the College Cost Reduction and Access Act, you would end up paying the same amount of money on a typical public interest salary on $80k in loans as you would $180k in loans, given that you get a qualifying public interest job and work there for 10+ years before the remainder of the loans are forgiven. With this in mind, it might be better to go to Hastings if you think going there will give you a better opportunity to find a public interest job you like.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56 pm

FuzzyKiwi wrote:IMHO, I think a visit is really important here. Meet with the financial aid offices, and figure out what the true cost will really be (esp. if the LLS scholly comes with stipulations). I was making a similar decision last year, for PI, and was pondering a lot of the same considerations. I think the kind of PI is important as well, as the LA and SF nonprofit communities look really different.

Just in the interest of giving more information, The National Jurist publishes a PI law school ranking, and LLS is high up on the list after Northeastern. A friend of mine, a 3L at Hastings, gave anecdotal advice that Hastings is very corporate-focused and the PI student community is very small and close-knit.
http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/b ... aw-schools

I ended up doing the un-helpful wait-a-year-and-retake-the-LSAT thing. (Which I’m not recommending, just letting you know)
Great advice, thanks! I saw that PI Law School ranking from National Jurist as well. Pretty interesting. I think I will end up making a visit and feeling it out.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:24 pm

"What rankings don't say about costly choices"

Informative article for those making similar decisions.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Glad you posted that, I read it a while ago and meant to find it again.

I wonder how closely this information reflects what will be the outcome for students matriculating this year. At least, in so far as the relative proportions.

This is the kind of information I really need to make some decisions such as USF/SCU, for example. I'm on the fence, but if it looks like more corporate/business law work is open from USF, and I have significantly more money from USF...that kinda tips it.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:This is the kind of information I really need to make some decisions such as USF/SCU, for example. I'm on the fence, but if it looks like more corporate/business law work is open from USF, and I have significantly more money from USF...that kinda tips it.
I applied to USF as well and got the 26k non renewable scholarship. I called and asked about renewing the scholarship and they said that they have many different scholarships for 2L/3L available. Seemed kinda sketchy. Why not just give me the chance to renew the 26k? Is this the same that you got?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:48 pm

RadMobile wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:This is the kind of information I really need to make some decisions such as USF/SCU, for example. I'm on the fence, but if it looks like more corporate/business law work is open from USF, and I have significantly more money from USF...that kinda tips it.
I applied to USF as well and got the 26k non renewable scholarship. I called and asked about renewing the scholarship and they said that they have many different scholarships for 2L/3L available. Seemed kinda sketchy. Why not just give me the chance to renew the 26k? Is this the same that you got?
I think that's what they do for scholarship, one year non-renewable (and ya, I got the $26k).

I think they post the scholarships you can apply for in your 2L and 3L.

On one hand, I like the fact that it's guaranteed. With McGeorge, for example, it's $18k/year if I meet the stipulations, so in consideration of McGeorge I have to decide if I want to look at it as $18k, $54k, or somewhere inbetween.

However, with USF, I wouldn't in any way expect to find a scholarship that gives you even close to $26k in 2L or 3L, but that's just my perception (also, I guess it matters where in the class you stand).

forty-two

Bronze

Post by forty-two » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Unless you can get LLS to lower that top 30% stipulation, I would say Hastings. Top 30% just scares me a bit. I also got that scholarship, and I was really excited until I realized that I could very well end up having to pay sticker for 2L and 3L. If that was the case (I'm not saying you won't be in the top 30%, but I would personally be afraid to count on it) then you would only end up saving 28k, and I think a Hastings degree is worth far more than that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm

forty-two wrote:Unless you can get LLS to lower that top 30% stipulation, I would say Hastings. Top 30% just scares me a bit. I also got that scholarship, and I was really excited until I realized that I could very well end up having to pay sticker for 2L and 3L. If that was the case (I'm not saying you won't be in the top 30%, but I would personally be afraid to count on it) then you would only end up saving 28k, and I think a Hastings degree is worth far more than that.
Great advice. It would definitely be nice to NOT have that sort of pressure. Anyone heard of anyone being successful in their negotiation of this stipulation?

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:08 am

RadMobile wrote:
forty-two wrote:Unless you can get LLS to lower that top 30% stipulation, I would say Hastings. Top 30% just scares me a bit. I also got that scholarship, and I was really excited until I realized that I could very well end up having to pay sticker for 2L and 3L. If that was the case (I'm not saying you won't be in the top 30%, but I would personally be afraid to count on it) then you would only end up saving 28k, and I think a Hastings degree is worth far more than that.
Great advice. It would definitely be nice to NOT have that sort of pressure. Anyone heard of anyone being successful in their negotiation of this stipulation?
I didnt try to negotiate the GPA req. at LLS but I did do so at USD. They wouldn't negotiate the GPA req., only scholarship amounts. Also, a USF transfer at Hastings told me that USF students were way more competitive than Hastings students, either because they were trying to keep their scholarships or because they wanted to transfer up. I would expect this to be true at Loyola as well.

I disagree with the pack here. Take Hastings. There is a HUGE emphasis on PI. I'm not sure where the previous poster got his information, but I would say their is a bigger PI emphasis on campus right now than anything else. Weird how "corporate" could be the main focus of Hastings when they don't even offer Business, Corporate, or Commercial law as a concentration (as do other schools like Davis).

Ask around at Hastings about PICAP and IBR. Also don't forget that you will probably get a Hastings grant of around $10k/year.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:54 am

Any more advice??

8)

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:05 pm

http://californiabar.globl.org/report.p ... &li=25&g=2

Great data for anyone looking to go to school in California. Seems like Loyola dominates southern California and Hastings dominates northern California.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm

Take the money and run bro.

orphanarium

Bronze

Post by orphanarium » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Last edited by orphanarium on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwkenneth

New

Post by cwkenneth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Loyola all the way no doubt especially for PI. You'd be crazy not to take that over over sticker at Hastings!

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm

hastings is crazy expensive. go to loyola and stop bleeding my government for funds! lol j/k..sorta

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”