Seton Hall - what's the deal?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

If money was a major factor for you, which school would you attend?

Cardozo ($5K scholarship)
25%
Brooklyn
No votes
Seton Hall ($25K scholarship)
75%

Total votes: 24

carlkenneth

Seton Hall - what's the deal?

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:22 am

I've read a bunch of post on this site trashing Seton Hall and I was wondering if it's really that bad. I'm interested in public interest law, specifically health law, and that is one of the school's strong suits (though I do I know that it dropped a few ranks on USNWR). I've received a 60% scholarship from SHU and money is a huge, maybe the biggest, consideration for me. I've also been accepted to Brooklyn and Cardozo (with only a small $5K scholarship at 'dozo).

Can anyone shed light on why Seton Hall has such a poor reputation? Is it worth the nearly $200K debt for me to attend Cardozo or Brooklyn instead?

reebtoor

Re: Seton Hall - what's the deal?

Postby reebtoor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:46 am

I cannot imagine incurring that much debt for Brooklyn or Cardozo, especially if you want to work in PI. Seton hall is actually well-respected in NJ. If you want to work in NY, you'll probably have a hard time no matter which of these schools you attend. If you don't mind Jersey, Seton hall is about as good as you're going to get. If you're set on NY, I would still go with SH simply on the basis of cost.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:12 am

Out of curiosity, did you apply to Rutgers?

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:20 am

TipTravHoot wrote:Out of curiosity, did you apply to Rutgers?

No, I didn't. I should have. With my numbers I honestly didn't think I had a chance at any of these schools. I only applied to SHU because I got a fee waiver.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 am

reebtoor wrote:I cannot imagine incurring that much debt for Brooklyn or Cardozo, especially if you want to work in PI. Seton hall is actually well-respected in NJ. If you want to work in NY, you'll probably have a hard time no matter which of these schools you attend. If you don't mind Jersey, Seton hall is about as good as you're going to get. If you're set on NY, I would still go with SH simply on the basis of cost.

This x10000

If you go to Seton Hall, please remember that you will most likely be working in New Jersey. However, it is a far better choice than sticker at Cardozo/Brooklyn (which these + COL is not worth it at all). The reason I (and others) really don't like Seton Hall is because a) it's expensive and b) people think it places in NYC, when it's a North Jersey school and with both at sticker Rutgers-Newark is half the price.

Seton Hall with $25k is about the same as Rutgers-Newark in-state at full tuition, so they're not too far off (the scholarship requirements at Rutgers are tougher to keep than SHU -- at least from what's been reported this year). FWIW, I have a friend that is a 3L and at median/below at SHU and has a job next year. It's not a glamorous, BigLaw job, but it's a job, and she's very happy with the school, Newark and her decision to go there.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

I think you're set with SH. The other two schools are not strong enough to take out close to 200K for. Do you have a scholarship requirement to keep SH's scholly?

bjf

Postby bjf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 am

OP, why don't you throw an app to R-N? The deadline is 3/15...might as well try, no?

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:59 am

BarbellDreams wrote:I think you're set with SH. The other two schools are not strong enough to take out close to 200K for. Do you have a scholarship requirement to keep SH's scholly?

I actually got two scholarships from SH - one for $10K and one for $15K. The $15K scholarship requires that I stay in the top 50% of my class.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 pm

bjf wrote:OP, why don't you throw an app to R-N? The deadline is 3/15...might as well try, no?

I guess I can do that. I just figured that it was too late to realistically expect an acceptance (and scholarship $). I'd also like to end this cycle as soon as possible so that I can start planning for the fall.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”