Cardozo vs Brooklyn vs American vs Miami

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Schtableboy

Cardozo vs Brooklyn vs American vs Miami

Postby Schtableboy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:06 pm

I could use a little advice in regards to which law school I should attend. Let me start out by saying that I really want to be in New York for the next 5 years or so, I could be happy in D.C. and Miami is home and 3rd for the time being, but ultimately where I'd want to live 5-7 years later.

My choices are as follows:
1) Cardozo - haven't been accepted yet and nothing is certain but this is most likely the best NY school I can get into. I applied for May start. I've spoken to current students and read many blogs and have only heard good things. Faculty is top notch and location is ideal, yes it's true NY is a tough market but I'll worry about that later.

2) Brooklyn Law - also haven't heard back yet. I think I'd prefer to go to Cardozo over Brooklyn though I've heard BLS has a stronger alumni base since it's been around longer. I'd like to have the option to choose bw the 2 but getting into either would suffice. I will be visiting both to get a better feel soon.

3) American - Accepted - don't know much about American, I plan on visiting in the coming weeks since I have a friend who goes there. from what I've heard it places well in DC as long as you maintain relatively high grades, somewhat comparable to GW in regards of DC placement but I don't think it places as well in NY but then again I don't really know.

4) Miami (accepted w/ 75% schol.) - I'm from Miami, go to undergrad at UF, I'm looking for a change of scenery but this scholarship is making it quite difficult.

If I don't get into either NY school and have to choose bw UM (w/ money), American, FSU, Maryland with the hope of making it in NY after graduation, would American be the obvious choice? Just to note I've been accepted into New York Law School (full ride) but am not willing to give up a much better school for the prospects of living in NY (Also my numbers are 161 and 3.5 and I'm waiting to hear back from around 15 other schools mostly reaches)

baboon309

Re: Cardozo vs Brooklyn vs American vs Miami

Postby baboon309 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:21 am

Schtableboy wrote:I't really know.

4) Miami (accepted w/ 75% schol.) - I'm from Miami, go to undergrad at UF, I'm looking for a change of scenery but this scholarship is making it quite difficult.

If I don't get into either NY school and have to choose bw UM (w/ money), American, FSU, Maryland with the hope of making it in NY after graduation, would American be the obvious choice? Just to note I've been accepted into New York Law School (full ride) but am not willing to give up a much better school for the prospects of living in NY (Also my numbers are 161 and 3.5 and I'm waiting to hear back from around 15 other schools mostly reaches)

There is no way that you received 75% scholly from Miami with those numbers.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freddy123

Postby freddy123 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:25 am

You don't know that; could be a URM.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:28 am

freddy123 wrote:You don't know that; could be a URM.

URM will get full scholly from MIAMI with those numbers
I am 99% sure that he received 23k a yr scholly.
Tuition in UMiami is around 38k/yr. You do the math for me.

Schtableboy

Postby Schtableboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:21 am

You are correct as I meant to type 55% (rough estimate) or 23k. I apologize for the mishap, now let's all just settle down. I am hispanic but from what I've read on this forum that doesn't make me a URM and nobody I've asked has a clear cut answer. Though I do appreciate your concern in regards to my scholly money I'd like to get back to the original topic if that's alright.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 am

I'd almost certainly take Miami and the money if your plan is ultimately head back there in a few years. Cardozo, Brooklyn, and American are definitely regional, and you may end up there a lot longer than you intend to before being able to lateral back to Florida. In any case, it will certainly be more difficult to place in Miami with a degree from Cardozo, Brooklyn, or American. The money and the fact that you're close to home and family would make this an even easier decision.

I'm in the same boat, I know I want to head back to my hometown within a decade, and I'm choosing between a distant regional school and the hometown school. Luckily for you, UM is actually a solid school; My state school is a TTT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”