Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
niclaw
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby niclaw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 am

Hi All,

My friend got into Villanova, Temple and Catholic. She really wanted to go to school in DC and wants to work in DC. She is planning on trying to transfer no matter where she goes. I told her I thought she should consider Villanova or Temple for sure, and not Catholic despite the fact that she wants to be in DC, but I thought I would get a wider opinion.

Any info on which school is best for transferring up? If she went to Villanova or Temple and did well, do you think she would have a shot at American or another DC school? (I've already told her I think she should go somewhere she wouldn't be devastated to stay at should it come to that). I know someone who transferred from San Diego to George Washington but that may be very uncommon.

Also, for transfer, would you suggest Villanova or Temple? Since I'm assuming I'm right and she shouldn't go to Catholic.

Thoughts?

User avatar
deadpanic
Posts: 1172
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby deadpanic » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:41 pm

She shouldn't go in planning to transfer because it can be very difficult. And I am not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble to transfer from Catholic to American; I'd say the job prospects are pretty similar out of both.

Why all of the private schools? Why not go to a state school and pay low in-state tuition and then possibly transfer? EDIT - I guess Temple is public. I'd say go to 1. Catholic (just because it is in DC) then 2. Temple (assuming she is a resident). Don't go to Villanova.
Last edited by deadpanic on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sooner25
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby sooner25 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:27 pm

as stated above transferring is pretty difficult. i would say stick to catholic, if she ends up not transferring i think catholic has better jobs prospects in dc than nova/temple just cause its in dc and she can build relations with ppl in the dc market during law school. nova/temple is really contained to penn/delaware/nj

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 pm

deadpanic wrote:She shouldn't go in planning to transfer because it can be very difficult. And I am not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble to transfer from Catholic to American; I'd say the job prospects are pretty similar out of both.

Why all of the private schools? Why not go to a state school and pay low in-state tuition and then possibly transfer?



Actually, AU's prospects beat the hell out of Catholic's. AU is known for placing its graduates in work, especially in the DC area. the best schools in DC are: Gtown, GW and American. Sure, American takes a backseat to the first two but, like it says in the TLS profile, AU can certainly hold its own. it's just on the expensive side. catholic is the school in DC I'd stay away from.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby Blindmelon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:40 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:She shouldn't go in planning to transfer because it can be very difficult. And I am not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble to transfer from Catholic to American; I'd say the job prospects are pretty similar out of both.

Why all of the private schools? Why not go to a state school and pay low in-state tuition and then possibly transfer?



Actually, AU's prospects beat the hell out of Catholic's. AU is known for placing its graduates in work, especially in the DC area. the best schools in DC are: Gtown, GW and American. Sure, American takes a backseat to the first two but, like it says in the TLS profile, AU can certainly hold its own. it's just on the expensive side. catholic is the school in DC I'd stay away from.


I'd stay away from AU. GMU has the same DC prospects for a lot less money. Seems like a no-brainer to me

T14Dreaming
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby T14Dreaming » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 pm

I agree...... if she can get into GMU than she should go there instead of going to Catholic or AU. She should also take into account the cost of attending Catholic compared to the cost of attending Temple. Plus Catholic is not noted for having a strong legal education in anything, while Temple is known for its advocacy programs.

Your friend can always move to DC after graduation.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:46 am

Blindmelon wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:She shouldn't go in planning to transfer because it can be very difficult. And I am not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble to transfer from Catholic to American; I'd say the job prospects are pretty similar out of both.

Why all of the private schools? Why not go to a state school and pay low in-state tuition and then possibly transfer?



Actually, AU's prospects beat the hell out of Catholic's. AU is known for placing its graduates in work, especially in the DC area. the best schools in DC are: Gtown, GW and American. Sure, American takes a backseat to the first two but, like it says in the TLS profile, AU can certainly hold its own. it's just on the expensive side. catholic is the school in DC I'd stay away from.


I'd stay away from AU. GMU has the same DC prospects for a lot less money. Seems like a no-brainer to me


Flag on the play. I highly doubt that GMU has similar/better DC placement than AU. I will come back with statistics but you're mistaken, especially since GMU just recently became a T1 and certainly have fewer grads in the S. Atlantic area than AU. American is the bigger name (esp. in DC) and offers a more traditional curriculum. and I can't reiterate enough how well it places in the South Atlantic area and also (to a lesser extent) nationally (grads took jobs in 31 states). GMU can be a shaky choice.

For GMU, in 2007 (the height of the legal profession)...
*only 38% of George Masons class of 2007 went into firms
*22% that class entered into "business and industry" jobs - that means the JD didn't help with jobs.
*only 72% of that class entered into employment with jobs that required a JD

Don't buy into the GMU hype (even though it is significantly cheaper). AU holds its own in DC and this was especially the case in '07.

User avatar
reasonable_man
Posts: 2200
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:28 am

Is she smart and planning to "work her butt off?" If so, the transfer plan is a lock.. No one else will have this plan in mind..

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Villanova, Temple or Catholic- 4 transfer 2 better DC school

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:25 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:
Blindmelon wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
deadpanic wrote:She shouldn't go in planning to transfer because it can be very difficult. And I am not sure why anyone would go to all the trouble to transfer from Catholic to American; I'd say the job prospects are pretty similar out of both.

Why all of the private schools? Why not go to a state school and pay low in-state tuition and then possibly transfer?



Actually, AU's prospects beat the hell out of Catholic's. AU is known for placing its graduates in work, especially in the DC area. the best schools in DC are: Gtown, GW and American. Sure, American takes a backseat to the first two but, like it says in the TLS profile, AU can certainly hold its own. it's just on the expensive side. catholic is the school in DC I'd stay away from.


I'd stay away from AU. GMU has the same DC prospects for a lot less money. Seems like a no-brainer to me


Flag on the play. I highly doubt that GMU has similar/better DC placement than AU. I will come back with statistics but you're mistaken, especially since GMU just recently became a T1 and certainly have fewer grads in the S. Atlantic area than AU. American is the bigger name (esp. in DC) and offers a more traditional curriculum. and I can't reiterate enough how well it places in the South Atlantic area and also (to a lesser extent) nationally (grads took jobs in 31 states). GMU can be a shaky choice.

For GMU, in 2007 (the height of the legal profession)...
*only 38% of George Masons class of 2007 went into firms
*22% that class entered into "business and industry" jobs - that means the JD didn't help with jobs.
*only 72% of that class entered into employment with jobs that required a JD

Don't buy into the GMU hype (even though it is significantly cheaper). AU holds its own in DC and this was especially the case in '07.


Seems like she'd be paying sticker. I can't think of a single reason why American is worth 200k of debt.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests