UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UVA (Full price x 2) or FSU (Free Tuition x 2)

UVA (Full price x 2 $360,000 debt)
67
54%
FSU (Free tuition $ 90,000 debt)
57
46%
 
Total votes: 124

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:This is kinda unrelated, but I'm leaving a SO 400 miles away to go to UVA. I could have gone to the local state school for free but instead decided to follow my head/heart to UVA. In 30 years will you regret passing up a once in a lifetime chance to go to such a great school?

Having trouble parsing this. Are you saying you're leaving her back home while you go to law school, or that you're leaving her?


Back home. Yeah I should really stop trying to type coherent posts while I'm working off 5 hours sleep, and it is past midnight.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby Cupidity » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 am

People on this board seriously underestimate the power of UF/FSU. They have solid employment in florida, and wihle their numbers don't look impressive because the average student only makes 75k compared to 120-160 at some T-30 schools, 75K goes alot farther in Florida than it does in NYC. Especially when you have next to no debt up on grduation.

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:46 pm

So according to Lsn you got in today, did you ed? What are you going to do?

User avatar
Kchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby Kchuck » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:52 pm

If you go to FSU, I'll buy you a beer.

lawschoolstudent85
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:05 pm

....
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenilyn
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby jenilyn » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Have you visited both schools? If so, what did you think of each? If you plan to work in FL, I say choose the full ride at FSU.

User avatar
BiteyTLS
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:37 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby BiteyTLS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Do not count on IBR. The program is going to be repealed as soon as Obama is thrown from office.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby RVP11 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:20 pm

Cupidity wrote:People on this board seriously underestimate the power of UF/FSU. They have solid employment in florida, and wihle their numbers don't look impressive because the average student only makes 75k compared to 120-160 at some T-30 schools, 75K goes alot farther in Florida than it does in NYC. Especially when you have next to no debt up on grduation.


Horrible post. "Average" income is not informative. Especially in 2010 when most of the averages were computed for what, the class of 2008?

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Neither? 360k debt is a shitload. With your numbers you should get $ somewhere. Your gf should have just retaken the LSAT and applied RD to see where you guys both get $$ in the top 14.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby RVP11 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:26 pm

irishman86 wrote:Neither? 360k debt is a shitload. With your numbers you should get $ somewhere. Your gf should have just retaken the LSAT and applied RD to see where you guys both get $$ in the top 14.


360k debt is a lot, but so is the potential for 320k combined pre-tax income. Double the debt, double the income, double the fun.

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:28 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:Neither? 360k debt is a shitload. With your numbers you should get $ somewhere. Your gf should have just retaken the LSAT and applied RD to see where you guys both get $$ in the top 14.


360k debt is a lot, but so is the potential for 320k combined pre-tax income. Double the debt, double the income, double the fun.


...Read the legal employment forum. I doubt it's going to happen.

If I were them, I'd probably have her retake the LSAT and reapply together RD for $$.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby RVP11 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:32 pm

irishman86 wrote:
...Read the legal employment forum. I doubt it's going to happen.


Apparently you missed the word "potential." And if you don't think two people paying sticker to go to a T10 school is a smart decision, then you must think that one person paying sticker to go to a T10 school is equally dumb. :roll:

You have 300 posts and IDK if you're in law school yet. Don't tell me what to read.

To quote the great Ari Gold, "do you really think there's anything [on TLS] that you know that I don't know?"

irishman86
Posts: 312
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:35 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
irishman86 wrote:
...Read the legal employment forum. I doubt it's going to happen.


Apparently you missed the word "potential." And if you don't think two people paying sticker to go to a T10 school is a smart decision, then you must think that one person paying sticker to go to a T10 school is equally dumb. :roll:

You have 300 posts and IDK if you're in law school yet. Don't tell me what to read.

To quote the great Ari Gold, "do you really think there's anything [on TLS] that you know that I don't know?"


I think paying sticker is dumb, especially if OP has those numbers and his girlfriend has that GPA. If she bumps that LSAT 4 points, she can get $$ at a lot of schools.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby RVP11 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Of course, the world would be a great place if we could all just add 4 points to our LSAT score. How do we know 166 isn't the best she could get?

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby reverendt » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:46 pm

If you both want to work in Florida and don't care about biglaw, take the free rides at FSU.
Otherwise, I'd seriously consider UVA.

User avatar
Bauer24
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:53 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby Bauer24 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:07 pm

You won't have a problem getting a job in FL through FSU law.
However, UVA is a lot better.. and who knows maybe law school will convince you to go into biglaw.
And congrats to your girlfriend.. I envy her since I'm probably not going to get into UVA with my 177 (low grades).
Last edited by Bauer24 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 pm

Bauer24 wrote:You won't have a problem getting a job in FL through FSU law.

You're probably a 0L, aren't you.

User avatar
Bauer24
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 2:53 am

Re: UVA (full price) vs. FSU (Zero tuition) Advice please!

Postby Bauer24 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:09 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Bauer24 wrote:You won't have a problem getting a job in FL through FSU law.

You're probably a 0L, aren't you.


You guessed correctly- :shock:
:P




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Whittie and 4 guests