UC Berkeley in decline?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eth3n

Re: UC Berkeley in decline?

Postby eth3n » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 pm

fortissimo wrote:Don't TTTs have really high bar passage rates?

In CA?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:40 pm

fortissimo wrote:
eth3n wrote:berkeley > stanford on last year's july bar...

is this thread just referring to the tuition increases? (Berkeley used to be best bang for buck outside HYS)

Don't TTTs have really high bar passage rates?

Generally, no. And especially not in California:

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... ornia.html

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:09 pm

im_blue wrote:Yeah, my speculation is that DNCG have taken more of an ITE hit (Duke because of lower reputation than MVPB, NU because of competition with Chicago, Cornell because of NYC focus, and GULC because of large class size).

We'll see when the stats come out, but none of the evidence I've seen points that way, at least for Duke and NU.

Re: Duke, if you look at the chart, at the time current hiring partners were in law school, Duke was a solid T10 and Penn was a solidly T10-14. So I think the reputation argument is a bit bunk.

Re: NU, it has a strong geographic/size advantage. In Chicago, NU loses only to YHSCC, all of which (even U of C) primarily target NYC/DC and have the placement power to get their grads jobs in those markets even ITE. Finally, NU and U of C together produce less than 500 graduates total, into a legal market not much smaller than DC.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:14 pm

rayiner wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yeah, my speculation is that DNCG have taken more of an ITE hit (Duke because of lower reputation than MVPB, NU because of competition with Chicago, Cornell because of NYC focus, and GULC because of large class size).

We'll see when the stats come out, but none of the evidence I've seen points that way, at least for Duke and NU.

Re: Duke, if you look at the chart, at the time current hiring partners were in law school, Duke was a solid T10 and Penn was a solidly T10-14. So I think the reputation argument is a bit bunk.

Re: NU, it has a strong geographic/size advantage. In Chicago, NU loses only to YHSCC, all of which (even U of C) primarily target NYC/DC and have the placement power to get their grads jobs in those markets even ITE. Finally, NU and U of C together produce less than 500 graduates total, into a legal market not much smaller than DC.

Makes sense. Would you agree that Cornell and GULC have taken significant hits ITE? I'm starting to see TLS claims that Texas and Vandy are matching or even beating them.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:28 pm

im_blue wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Yes. I also think DNC fit in with MVP as well but that is heresy around here.

I personally feel the T14 tiers are
HYS
C
CNMVPBDNGC

Y (undisputed #1)
H (weaker numbers and yield than Y)
S (weaker numbers and less national than HY)
---
CC
N (weaker placement than CC)
---
MVP
B (weaker non-CA placement than MVP)
---
DN (strong placement on par with MVPB)
C (weakest numbers of the T14)
G (weakest placement of the T14)

Agree with this.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:56 pm

M
--
Rest of T14

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:00 pm

im_blue wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Makes sense. Would you agree that Cornell and GULC have taken significant hits ITE? I'm starting to see TLS claims that Texas and Vandy are matching or even beating them.

I mean it's total speculation at this point. I wouldn't want to be one of 650 GULC grads into DC or #3 for NYC which has 2 T6 schools with 400-500 grads apiece. I feel like in those markets you're competing with the entire T14, while for Chicago you're largely competing with one small T14 and a bunch of T1's.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:21 pm

rayiner wrote:
im_blue wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I mean it's total speculation at this point. I wouldn't want to be one of 650 GULC grads into DC or #3 for NYC which has 2 T6 schools with 400-500 grads apiece. I feel like in those markets you're competing with the entire T14, while for Chicago you're largely competing with one small T14 and a bunch of T1's.

I heard that only 40% of Cornell students got callback(s) from OCI. 60% were locked out completely, and you aren't even guaranteed a job from callbacks, so who knows what small fraction of Cornellians got offers.

manu4ever882001

Postby manu4ever882001 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Last edited by manu4ever882001 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irishman86

Postby irishman86 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:16 pm

manu4ever882001 wrote:
That's not entirely true. On their website it says 90% of market rate is the limit, so it'll probably cost just as much on average.

edit: never mind, this is only true for CA residents

right, boalt's 53,000 a year is by far the most expensive tuition out of the top 14

Return to “Choosing a Law School”