Pitt vs. Mizzou

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BarbellDreams

Pitt vs. Mizzou

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:02 pm

Hello, I am currently deciding between these two schools and need some insight. I am not a resident of either state, but from what I read it is fairly easy to obtain residency after the first year in both schools (especially in Mizzou). I am unsure as to what type of law I am looking to do (whichever pays at the time I get out of school I guess) but am leaning towards civil litigation because I want to be in a court room (any sort of trial advocacy works fine for me), some other interests include malpractice and if I sell my soul then corporate. I don't have a strong preference as to where I want to live, I hear Mizzou will be fine for the midwest and Pitt seems like a great city.

A of right now both schools are @ sticker. While money is a concern, I do not mind paying for it (especially with the cheap cost of living). I am mostly worried about career prospects and not being able to find a job at all. I know both schools hodl a decent alumni network and good reputations. Thoughts?

ScaredWorkedBored

Re: Pitt vs. Mizzou

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 pm

These are regional schools, and the regions have little in common. The deciding factor here should be where do you want to live.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:17 pm

You have to work a year in Mizzou to get residency... my brother went through it. Not an easy process.. besides, FUCK MIZZOU! But in all seriousness, good luck getting residency while in law school seeing as you can't work your first year. Oh, you have to work a full consecutive year too

sooner25

Postby sooner25 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 am

like stated above there both very regional schools so figure out where you'd prefer to live. mizzou might giver u more options since it probably covers st.louis and kansas city whereas pitt is mostly contained to pitt

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:47 am

rockchalk86 wrote:You have to work a year in Mizzou to get residency... my brother went through it. Not an easy process.. besides, FUCK MIZZOU! But in all seriousness, good luck getting residency while in law school seeing as you can't work your first year. Oh, you have to work a full consecutive year too

Not entirely true, you have to maintain residence in the state for a year, but you only have to earn 2k of taxable income - which is easy to do over the summer.

feel free to pm me with any mizzou questions

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 am

rockchalk86 wrote:You have to work a year in Mizzou to get residency... my brother went through it. Not an easy process.. besides, FUCK MIZZOU! But in all seriousness, good luck getting residency while in law school seeing as you can't work your first year. Oh, you have to work a full consecutive year too

One of the most underrated college football games of the year was Kansas getting beat last minute by Mizzou. KU absolutely choked the game away...can see why a KU fan might still have hard feelings towards anything Mizzou related :wink:

In all seriousness, this really does come down to what region you want to work in. Like the above poster said, Mizzou could open doors in St. Louis and K.C. Pitt would likely be limited to PIttsburgh. Go where you want to live after graduation.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 am

I like to come out and troll for Pitt when given the opportunity.

Pitt is the best school in Western PA, home of 6 million people. Pitt grads do very well in the market, since their only local competition is T4 Duquesne (which outperforms its rank as well).

Pittsburgh's also an awesome city. Great sports culture, lots of young people, and terrific food. Living there is incredibly cheap.

Pitt was ranked ~15 spots higher thank its current position just a couple years ago, and has a good amount of prestige in town. The quality of student coming into Pitt (numbers-wise) is much stronger than those starting at Mizzou.

Plus, watching a Steelers game at Quaker Steak can't be beat.

/trolling.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”