How to ask for travel stipends?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BarbellDreams

How to ask for travel stipends?

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:29 pm

I got into some schools that are really far away and in places I have never been to. I really want to visit but just don't have the money. I always assumed travel stipends are only given to those who are above the 75% percentile of the schools stats (this may very well be incorrect). I guess I just don't wanna push my luck with schools that accepted me with stats around their medians and call and ask for a travel stipend. How should I go about this? Just calla admissions, express interest in visiting, and ask if they have a travel stipend program?

sundevil77

Re: How to ask for travel stipends?

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I would like to know more about receiving travel stipends as well. There is already a very informative thread on schools in the T14 that offer stipends viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98776.

Does anybody know if those stipends must be used to go to an ASW, or can they be used anytime?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:43 pm

sundevil77 wrote:I would like to know more about receiving travel stipends as well. There is already a very informative thread on schools in the T14 that offer stipends viewtopic.php?f=5&t=98776.

Does anybody know if those stipends must be used to go to an ASW, or can they be used anytime?

Depends on the school, but I think most of them are ASW only. WUSTL is the only definite exception I can think of.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:48 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I got into some schools that are really far away and in places I have never been to. I really want to visit but just don't have the money. I always assumed travel stipends are only given to those who are above the 75% percentile of the schools stats (this may very well be incorrect). I guess I just don't wanna push my luck with schools that accepted me with stats around their medians and call and ask for a travel stipend. How should I go about this? Just calla admissions, express interest in visiting, and ask if they have a travel stipend program?

lol @ this. They will not rescind their offer because you want to visit their school. Now if you scream at them or somethings... that is another story, but not if you just ask if you could get a travel stipend.

attendantgodot

Postby attendantgodot » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:01 pm

i called usc and asked if there was a way to apply for one. they gave me an email address to send my request to.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:03 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I guess I just don't wanna push my luck with schools that accepted me with stats around their medians and call and ask for a travel stipend.

You'd have to act like a total fool for them to recind acceptance. Like sending them an email laced with profanity.

BarbellDreams wrote:How should I go about this? Just calla admissions, express interest in visiting, and ask if they have a travel stipend program?

Yes.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”