tOSU... only for Ohio? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bryanl87

New

tOSU... only for Ohio?

Post by bryanl87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:20 am

Hey guys,

I've been researching about tOSU and so far, many say that it's only strong in the state of Ohio... and that may become a problem for me because I want some mobility. I understand that I can't expect tOSU to be a national school like those T14s, but still... it's a T1 and ranks at 35. I may like Columbus, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life in Ohio.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Re: tOSU... only for Ohio?

Post by Aeroplane » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:25 am

Have you looked at their employment stats? They give a pretty detailed breakdown.

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:26 am

Scoff if you will be there are a lot of Buckeye haters because of the dominance of their football program, imagine interviewing with an alumni from [insert any non-buckeye football team here], talk about going to bat with one strike against you... :wink:

bryanl87

New

Post by bryanl87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:34 am

Aeroplane wrote:Have you looked at their employment stats? They give a pretty detailed breakdown.

Thanks for the link! Yes, I looked through the stat before and it seems that most tOSU grads get their employment in Ohio. My question is, if the grads got their job in Ohio, was it because they had no choice or was it because they loved the state of Ohio? It seems that the law school is trying to convey that it is a nationally recognized school, but I feel like those who got their jobs outside of Ohio got it because they had connections from their home or whatnot.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:07 am

bryanl87 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:Have you looked at their employment stats? They give a pretty detailed breakdown.

Thanks for the link! Yes, I looked through the stat before and it seems that most tOSU grads get their employment in Ohio. My question is, if the grads got their job in Ohio, was it because they had no choice or was it because they loved the state of Ohio? It seems that the law school is trying to convey that it is a nationally recognized school, but I feel like those who got their jobs outside of Ohio got it because they had connections from their home or whatnot.
Honestly as a rule of thumb, don't seek to attend a public law school unless you are over 50% or so sure that you want to practice in that state (exceptions being Berkeley, Michigan, Virginia, and Iowa [but Iowa as a different story]).

Ohio state likely dominates whatever mid/big law instate along with Case western.

Of course Ohio State is a nationally recognized school (and is ranked high), but don't go there thinking you will work in Chicago, New York, California, DC, etc.

True part of each class does go to those markets, but as the link shows, those students are few and far inbetween.

Ohio State 2007 Graduates Employment Location
Graduates employed in-state 57%
Graduates employed in foreign countries 1%
Number of states where graduates are employed 29
New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 1.0%
Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) 5.0%
East North Central (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 64.0%
West North Central (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 1.0%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 15.0%
East South Central (AL, KY, MS, TN) 1.0%
West South Central (AR, LA, OK, TX) 2.0%
Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 5.0%
Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY) 5.0%
Employment location unknown 0.0%

As you can see, after the 57% in Ohio, less than an additional 10% get jobs in the midwest region after Ohio (64%-57%= 7% max could have gone to Chicago in 2007 - which is obviously a better year than this year).

True 15% end up in the South Atlantic region, but it's difficult to figure out which state they ended up in considering that that region covers a lot. Not only that, but also what capacity they were employed in (often people that go to DC go into Government - which is great - but a lot of people aren't interested in that).

By no means does attending a school outside the T14 mean you have to spend the rest of your life there. It just means that when you graduate, your best job opportunities will likely be in the state vs. elsewhere (not including if you return to the state you left to attend law school - most students with decent grades have options back home).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bryanl87

New

Post by bryanl87 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:44 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Honestly as a rule of thumb, don't seek to attend a public law school unless you are over 50% or so sure that you want to practice in that state (exceptions being Berkeley, Michigan, Virginia, and Iowa [but Iowa as a different story]).

Ohio state likely dominates whatever mid/big law instate along with Case western.

Of course Ohio State is a nationally recognized school (and is ranked high), but don't go there thinking you will work in Chicago, New York, California, DC, etc.

True part of each class does go to those markets, but as the link shows, those students are few and far inbetween.

Ohio State 2007 Graduates Employment Location
Graduates employed in-state 57%
Graduates employed in foreign countries 1%
Number of states where graduates are employed 29
New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT) 1.0%
Middle Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA) 5.0%
East North Central (IL, IN, MI, OH, WI) 64.0%
West North Central (IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD) 1.0%
South Atlantic (DE, DC, FL, GA, MD, NC, SC, VA, WV) 15.0%
East South Central (AL, KY, MS, TN) 1.0%
West South Central (AR, LA, OK, TX) 2.0%
Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA) 5.0%
Mountain (AZ, CO, ID, MT, NV, NM, UT, WY) 5.0%
Employment location unknown 0.0%

As you can see, after the 57% in Ohio, less than an additional 10% get jobs in the midwest region after Ohio (64%-57%= 7% max could have gone to Chicago in 2007 - which is obviously a better year than this year).

True 15% end up in the South Atlantic region, but it's difficult to figure out which state they ended up in considering that that region covers a lot. Not only that, but also what capacity they were employed in (often people that go to DC go into Government - which is great - but a lot of people aren't interested in that).

By no means does attending a school outside the T14 mean you have to spend the rest of your life there. It just means that when you graduate, your best job opportunities will likely be in the state vs. elsewhere (not including if you return to the state you left to attend law school - most students with decent grades have options back home).
I'm actually also interested in going into Government, but what about corporate law? Is it viable for tOSU grads or is it only for those HYS grads/strong regional school grads?

also, is it a bad idea for lawyers to move from one region to another after gaining some experience?

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:25 pm

narkizopoint wrote:Scoff if you will be there are a lot of Buckeye haters because of the dominance of their football program, imagine interviewing with an alumni from [insert any non-buckeye football team here], talk about going to bat with one strike against you... :wink:
Unless you're interviewed by a Gator, in which case he/she may take pity on you. :P

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:29 pm

bryanl87 wrote:Hey guys,

I've been researching about OSU and so far, many say that it's only strong in the state of Ohio... and that may become a problem for me because I want some mobility. I understand that I can't expect OSU to be a national school like those T14s, but still... it's a T1 and ranks at 35. I may like Columbus, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life in Ohio.
ftfy
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:30 pm

UFMatt wrote:
narkizopoint wrote:Scoff if you will be there are a lot of Buckeye haters because of the dominance of their football program, imagine interviewing with an alumni from [insert any non-buckeye football team here], talk about going to bat with one strike against you... :wink:
Unless you're interviewed by a Gator, in which case he/she may take pity on you. :P

LOL, but probably not given how much shit the buckeye nation talks.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Yeah, you're mainly limited to Ohio with an Ohio State JD, but look on the bright side: you get to live in Ohio. :)

--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”