University of Texas vs. University of Arizona $$ ??

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UT vs. UA $$

University of Texas
60%
University of Arizona $$
40%

Total votes: 55

timshel

University of Texas vs. University of Arizona $$ ??

Postby timshel » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 pm

I have been creepin TLS for awhile now, and now I've got a decision to make. University of Texas out-of-state sticker or University of Arizona with a substantial scholarship. I'm from Arizona, but I will be out-of-state for the first year. Overall, I'm looking at $150,000 debt from UT vs. $40,000 debt from UA. I want to go into Phoenix "Big-Law." I would rather live in Austin than Tucson, but I want to make the best financial decision. Where should I go? Thanks.

chitown825

Re: University of Texas vs. University of Arizona $$ ??

Postby chitown825 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Law school is not worth > $100k unless T14.

Go to Arizona if you want to work in Phoenix.

Only go to Texas if you want to move around more.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:49 pm

chitown825 wrote:Law school is not worth > $100k unless T14.

Go to Arizona if you want to work in Phoenix.

Only go to Texas if you want to move around more.

lol.

Go to Texas.

Jay-Electronica

Postby Jay-Electronica » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:04 pm

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog ... -law-.html

Take the money, going to the best school you can get into isnt the best advice unless your a competitive t-14'er. Whats more is that the state of Arizona apparently has a shortage of lawyers. You want to practice in Phx and have a large scholly to go to UA, take it.

Yimbeezy

Postby Yimbeezy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:08 pm

UofA doggie. It doesn't get much press, but it will give you a solid legal education at a serious bargain.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Negrodamus wrote:http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2010/01/4660-of-law-.html

Take the money, going to the best school you can get into isnt the best advice unless your a competitive t-14'er. Whats more is that the state of Arizona apparently HAD a shortage of lawyers. You want to practice in Phx and have a large scholly to go to UA, take it.

FTFY. Tbf, when they economy recovers there will be a shortage again due to low pay per billable in PHX biglaw comp to other markets.

U of A isn't your typical TT, Midlaw exists in PHX and the top 1/3 at U of A has a decent shot at jobs paying 65-90, top 10% at jobs paying 100+. Texas won't place much better in AZ and it will be more difficult to rank highly. You have a very real chance of being broke for life if you go there.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:55 pm

Veyron wrote:Texas won't place much better in AZ and it will be more difficult to rank highly. You have a very real chance of being broke for life if you go there.

If Obama gets the loan forgiveness programs he mentioned recently then you wouldn't be broke for life. Also, don't pass so quickly on Texas "big-law" since once you get here you might not want to leave.

However, it all depends on how much you would like to attend UT and what you think it would offer to you. Going just because it is higher ranked isn't a good idea; find something that makes UT the right choice (or don't go there and save yourself a lot of money).

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Veyron wrote:Texas won't place much better in AZ and it will be more difficult to rank highly.

Texas will probably place significantly better in big Phoenix firms, actually. Anecdotal evidence I've gathered from friends has shown UA/ASU folks (even in the top 1/3) aren't doing too well placing into mythical "MidLaw" of which you speak. And a number of big Phoenix firms only interview the top several students at the local schools. You'll have quite a bit more leeway from UT.

This is a difficult choice, but I'd probably take UT. At either school, the chance you'll miss out on a big firm (and big paycheck) entirely is going to be over 50%, so it might be wise to consider the strength of TX's economy relative to AZ's.

Full disclosure: I chose UVA at sticker over UA/ASU for free or probably close to it. I thought it was an obvious choice, given my career goals. Before I got into UVA, I was prepared to take UT over UA/ASU, as well.
Last edited by RVP11 on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Negrodamus wrote:the state of Arizona apparently has a shortage of lawyers.

No.

2006 and 2007 wants their facts back.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Not to thread jack but.. How does NYU place in Phoenix?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Veyron wrote:Not to thread jack but.. How does NYU place in Phoenix?

It doesn't, really. There are very, very few NYU JDs in Phoenix.

Now if someone with real Phoenix connections goes to NYU, I'm sure they'll have plenty of doors open in Phoenix if they have decent grades. It's NYU, after all.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:21 pm

What are "decent grades?"

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:24 pm

Veyron wrote:What are "decent grades?"

I always substitute the word "decent" with "median" which may or may not be right.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I've got a full ride to UA, but I'll probably be looking at some decent scholarship offers to T14 schools. The choice is complicated because I want to work in Phoenix. I don't want to pay close to $100K for a school that would merely be a nice experience but not further my professional goals. It's a tough decision, my friend. Wish I had some words of advice for you, but I'm equally torn. Let me know what ultimately determines your choice!

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:31 am

Veyron wrote:What are "decent grades?"

At NYU? Anything median-ish or above.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 am

sundevil77 wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I've got a full ride to UA, but I'll probably be looking at some decent scholarship offers to T14 schools. The choice is complicated because I want to work in Phoenix. I don't want to pay close to $100K for a school that would merely be a nice experience but not further my professional goals. It's a tough decision, my friend. Wish I had some words of advice for you, but I'm equally torn. Let me know what ultimately determines your choice!

If you want to work for one of the top Phoenix firms, I think the right choice is to go T14. Otherwise, you're looking at Law Review or bust.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 am

timshel wrote:I have been creepin TLS for awhile now, and now I've got a decision to make. University of Texas out-of-state sticker or University of Arizona with a substantial scholarship. I'm from Arizona, but I will be out-of-state for the first year. Overall, I'm looking at $150,000 debt from UT vs. $40,000 debt from UA. I want to go into Phoenix "Big-Law." I would rather live in Austin than Tucson, but I want to make the best financial decision. Where should I go? Thanks.

Texas apologist here. In your situation, go to UA and don't look back. Get those in-state connections and save the cash.

timshel

Postby timshel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks everyone for the votes and comments. I am leaning Texas right now because I am interested in their joint degree with social work (I'm a psych major big into volunteering and humanitarian work) and Austin seems like an awesome place to spend four years. I just don't want to financially screw myself for life. Also, I do have a ton of lawyer connections currently in PHX through my pops and others doing well in the "bigish" firms there.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:41 pm

great! you will love texas and i don't think you will regret it!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”