Transfer later or wait to apply to school of choice?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rossu12
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Transfer later or wait to apply to school of choice?

Postby rossu12 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:07 pm

I am thinking about 2 choices - either (1) start part-time study at lower ranked school and then try to transfer to the highly ranked one or (2) wait 1 year (don't really want to lose 1 year) and apply to the school I actually want to attend.

The reason I am considering option (1) is because for 1 year I have to live and work at my current place where the mentioned lower ranked school is the only option for me. I am not familiar with transfers and am a little worried I can hurt my chances of going to the chosen school when I relocate after Year 1. Can anyone share their knowledge about the transfers to help me with the choice?

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
booboo
Posts: 1032
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:39 pm

Re: Transfer later or wait to apply to school of choice?

Postby booboo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm

The canned response when it comes to transferring is to not bank on it. Transferring becomes a possibility after the first semester of 1L grades, and a reality after the second semester.

rossu12
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: Transfer later or wait to apply to school of choice?

Postby rossu12 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:43 pm

booboo wrote:The canned response when it comes to transferring is to not bank on it. Transferring becomes a possibility after the first semester of 1L grades, and a reality after the second semester.


I definitely would not bank on it just as I would not bank on being accepted if I applied directly.

The question is about the chances to transfer vs. chances to apply directly given a strong candidate profile that is enough to fit top-ranked school.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hwwong and 4 guests