UT if I don't want to work in texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby imisscollege » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

So I got into the Wash U's, expected acceptance to USC, BU, BC, GW, Fordham

And I legit have no idea which one of those I want to live in so it seems that I should pikc UT because it is by far the best I have gotten into (barring some t14 waitlists)

But like I am pretty sure that I don't want to make my early career in a red state, and probably not the south barring socal


Any suggestions?

I have heard people absolutely get off on BC so it's what I'm leaning towards now other than UT I guess but I've been in Boston my whole life and I worry I'll regret not leaving once I turn like 29

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:15 pm

If you're sure you don't want to work in the South I'd say go to BC. UT used to place fairly well in the northeast but ITE you want to be able to network and make connections as much as possible; if you go to BC you'll have a chance to network in the Boston area and hopefully make a connection for a job you'll actually want when you graduate.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:19 pm

I think I've seen you author a few variations of this same thread. UT is a great school, but it sounds like you don't want to go there, so you probably shouldn't.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby imisscollege » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 pm

its usually me comparing schools. I applied to 20 so I have a lot to compare. I honestly don't know if I want to go there. it's kind of like BC is the safe option and a UT or a UCLA pending an acceptance would be the adventure option. I'm not sure what will make me happier in the end.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 pm

imisscollege wrote:its usually me comparing schools. I applied to 20 so I have a lot to compare. I honestly don't know if I want to go there. it's kind of like BC is the safe option and a UT or a UCLA pending an acceptance would be the adventure option. I'm not sure what will make me happier in the end.


I would recommend you visit, then.

User avatar
Blindmelon
Posts: 1708
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:13 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Blindmelon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:45 pm

imisscollege wrote:So I got into the Wash U's, expected acceptance to USC, BU, BC, GW, Fordham

And I legit have no idea which one of those I want to live in so it seems that I should pikc UT because it is by far the best I have gotten into (barring some t14 waitlists)

But like I am pretty sure that I don't want to make my early career in a red state, and probably not the south barring socal


Any suggestions?

I have heard people absolutely get off on BC so it's what I'm leaning towards now other than UT I guess but I've been in Boston my whole life and I worry I'll regret not leaving once I turn like 29


For the Northeast its BC or BU... also, if you already got into BU, you'll most likely get into BC as BU has higher medians.

greatfool
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby greatfool » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:58 pm

First off, no definition of the South ever includes Southern California. That like saying I don't want to end up in the Northeast, barring Chicago.

If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw) , I'd say its probably not worth going to over BU, but probably is worth going to over BC.

Then again if you've never left Boston and your pronunciation of iPod and iPad is indistinguishable, three years in Texas might be to long.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:59 pm

greatfool wrote:Then again if you've never left Boston and your pronunciation of iPod and iPad is indistinguishable, three years in Texas might be to long.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Stringer Bell » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:02 pm

greatfool wrote:If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw) , I'd say its probably not worth going to over BU, but probably is worth going to over BC.



This is strange advice. I was under the impression that BU and BC gave you comparable post grad prospects.

greatfool
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby greatfool » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:12 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
greatfool wrote:If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw) , I'd say its probably not worth going to over BU, but probably is worth going to over BC.



This is strange advice. I was under the impression that BU and BC gave you comparable post grad prospects.


Fair enough, I don't know that much about either of them first hand, mostly just wanted to go on geography rant. I do think BU has a significant edge in national reach though of course local markets can behave in unpredictable (from the rankings) ways.

User avatar
SHARK WEEK!
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:22 pm

greatfool wrote:
If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw)


Please explain. Keep in mind, I'm aware of pretty much all of the nuances that might distinguish Texas from the other Southern states. However, that does not prove your point. If anything, Texas is THE Southern state established in the American conscience.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:29 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
greatfool wrote:
If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw)


Please explain. Keep in mind, I'm aware of pretty much all of the nuances that might distinguish Texas from the other Southern states. However, that does not prove your point. If anything, Texas is THE Southern state established in the American conscience.


Texas is NOT in the South, and, in fact, UT places very few graduates in the South. Most of the 1/3 or so of the class that gets jobs outside of Texas end up in NYC, DC, or CA.

User avatar
lebob
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby lebob » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:33 pm

Esc wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:
greatfool wrote:
If you don't want to live in Texas (which is not the south either btw)


Please explain. Keep in mind, I'm aware of pretty much all of the nuances that might distinguish Texas from the other Southern states. However, that does not prove your point. If anything, Texas is THE Southern state established in the American conscience.


Texas is NOT in the South, and, in fact, UT places very few graduates in the South. Most of the 1/3 or so of the class that gets jobs outside of Texas end up in NYC, DC, or CA.



Huh? Texas is not in the South? Since when?

eml256
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby eml256 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:36 pm

Texas is more or less its own region. Sure, East Texas has a traditional "Southern" vibe to it, but I doubt anyone would consider the Rio Grande area part of the South. Texas is just too big to classify as part of one major region, as certainly has more Western influences than a place like Mississippi. The culture in most of Texas is closer to that of the Southwest than that of the Deep South, from my experience.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby fortissimo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:37 pm

Texas is not in the South only to Texans and (other) Southerners.

Everyone else thinks Texas epitomizes the South.

That said, if you don't want to work in Tx, don't go to UT.
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

louboutin
Posts: 115
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:11 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby louboutin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm

eml256 wrote:Texas is more or less its own region. Sure, East Texas has a traditional "Southern" vibe to it, but I doubt anyone would consider the Rio Grande area part of the South. Texas is just too big to classify as part of one major region, as certainly has more Western influences than a place like Mississippi. The culture in most of Texas is closer to that of the Southwest than that of the Deep South, from my experience.


this. Texas is not Deep South at all.

Esc
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:09 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby Esc » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:55 pm

eml256 wrote:Texas is more or less its own region. Sure, East Texas has a traditional "Southern" vibe to it, but I doubt anyone would consider the Rio Grande area part of the South. Texas is just too big to classify as part of one major region, as certainly has more Western influences than a place like Mississippi. The culture in most of Texas is closer to that of the Southwest than that of the Deep South, from my experience.


TITCR.

greatfool
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby greatfool » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:13 pm

What I mean by saying Texas is not the south is just that
1 that is has a very strong Spanish/Mexican influence. Much of the old south has little or no recognizably foreign influence.
2 those of us from the old south recognize Texas as much more culturally western. All along the east coast including much of the south there is respect for tradition, institutions, family lineage ect, and fairly strict class stratification (somewhat like England.) Western society has a much more open, permissive, frontier feel, if that makes sense.

Of course parts of East Texas as much more like the old South, and I can see that some of the things a Northerner would find objectionable about southern culture are common to both regions.

imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby imisscollege » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:52 pm

ya i'm in at BC and BU and i'd rather go to BC.

that being said, it has been debated on a lot of these threads whether or not texas ACTUALLY has a serious national reach or if it's just so highly rated cause it's very strong especially relative to to other options in a very large/significant region.


like if i didn't KNOW i wanted to work in Boston, would that justify my decision to go to TX if it's the best school I got into, just because of its supposed national reach?

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 am

Dallas = South
Houston = South
Waco = Souuuuth
Texarkana = Souuuuth
Austin = SXSW
San Antonio = Southwest
Midland = Southwest
El Paso = Southwest

OP ... Austin is not the worse place in the world, and Houston is a bit more happening than I think you realize. Having a great job there, thanks to a UT education, would not be a terrible outcome. Yes, the heat will kill you, but hey ... y'all freeze to death in the winter in Boston, so we're even.

But if you don't want to work in Texas, I'm not sure what UT is going to do for you. Yes, you could place OOS, but not as well as some other alternatives you might have.

User avatar
McNabb
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby McNabb » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:03 pm

Texas is not the south, it's it's own region/part of the southwest. The only reason people like to call it the south is because to people from areas like California and NYC the south is any area that is warm and isn't very liberal. To most people in these regions, any area that votes conservative or are not socially liberal are a part of the "south".

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby 02082010 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:06 pm

Image

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: UT if I don't want to work in texas

Postby fortissimo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:23 pm

McNabb wrote:Texas is not the south, it's it's own region/part of the southwest. The only reason people like to call it the south is because to people from areas like California and NYC the south is any area that is warm and isn't very liberal. To most people in these regions, any area that votes conservative or are not socially liberal are a part of the "south".


I've lived in the legit Southwest and have been to Texas. We had rodeos as well in the SW, but during my visit to Texas, it seemed very different culturally. The SW has a good handful of Republican states too but I don't think people consider the SW "Southern" because of it. Granted I haven't lived in Texas, but I've moved around the country a bit, and I think the real SW has more in common with CA than Texas does with the SW. (side note, the SW and Texas are very different geographically. It's MUCH more humid in Texas than in the SW. I've never lost so much bodily fluids in an hour as I did in Texas. This was during the Spring, and the minute I stepped outside in TX my body went into "hot flash" mode. The SW gets hot, but I don't normally sweat because it's very dry.)




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 4 guests