I have a question about lower numbers better softs

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Generic20101L

I have a question about lower numbers better softs

Postby Generic20101L » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:15 am

and how that is gonna play in an extremely inflated candidate pool?

2.42 GPA and a 159 LSAT and years of military service in a very unique job and I speak a difficult foreign language. Screwed up my GPA from my first two years in college. Semesters worth of Fs. 3.62 degree GPA flagship public school.

I think that more applicants has helped me. I'm getting waitlisted at multiple top 100 schools and a top 50 today (9 days after I sent it to them, 6-12 percent chance on lawschoolnumbers. I have been accepted by a school in the 80s. I have been rejected by a similar group of schools as well. I am very surprised after hearing numbers are everything for so long and people telling me the only top 100 schools I could get into were Hofstra and New Mexico.

I think I stand out in an inflated pool of applicants.

Or am I just getting pity wait lists for the military experience?

im_blue

Re: I have a question about lower numbers better softs

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:19 am

Uh, you are aware that plenty of schools send out pity WL's that have no chance of actual acceptances? It's your 159 LSAT keeping you in the game for T100's, not your military experience. In general, applicants with one number over median are less likely to be outright rejected, if for no other reason than the law school wants to keep its options open, in case it's down to the last few spots and needs to raise either median.

haole_20

Postby haole_20 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:27 am

Honestly your softs are only as good as your writing skills. Sure, give yourself credit for the military experience but the key to using your softs in the application process is being able to communicate them to the adcomms. If you are confident at all in your ability as a writer, I would recommend following up with those waitlist schools. Send them a short essay or two on unique experiences you had in the military or about how that difficult language reflects your ability to learn quickly, etc. The point is that your resume ALONE isn't going to get you anywhere. It's all about explaining your softs and giving the admissions department a chance to relate to you.

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:29 am

im_blue wrote:Uh, you are aware that plenty of schools send out pity WL's that have no chance of actual acceptances? It's your 159 LSAT keeping you in the game for T100's, not your military experience. In general, applicants with one number over median are less likely to be outright rejected, if for no other reason than the law school wants to keep its options open, in case it's down to the last few spots and needs to raise either median.

The top 50 I got WL my LSAT was 2-3 points under median. How does that make sense? It had to be military, right?

Generic20101L

Postby Generic20101L » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:31 am

haole_20 wrote:Honestly your softs are only as good as your writing skills. Sure, give yourself credit for the military experience but the key to using your softs in the application process is being able to communicate them to the adcomms. If you are confident at all in your ability as a writer, I would recommend following up with those waitlist schools. Send them a short essay or two on unique experiences you had in the military or about how that difficult language reflects your ability to learn quickly, etc. The point is that your resume ALONE isn't going to get you anywhere. It's all about explaining your softs and giving the admissions department a chance to relate to you.

Thank you. I think I can write at a fairly high level. I think my personal statement stands out, to what degree, I don't know.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:24 am

Generic20101L wrote:
im_blue wrote:Uh, you are aware that plenty of schools send out pity WL's that have no chance of actual acceptances? It's your 159 LSAT keeping you in the game for T100's, not your military experience. In general, applicants with one number over median are less likely to be outright rejected, if for no other reason than the law school wants to keep its options open, in case it's down to the last few spots and needs to raise either median.

The top 50 I got WL my LSAT was 2-3 points under median. How does that make sense? It had to be military, right?

It might be, but does it really matter either way? It's like the difference between losing a basketball game by 30 points, or losing by 2 points in OT. The only relevant information is the final outcome, which is a rejection.

TTH

Postby TTH » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 am

Retake the LSAT. Military service is one of the few softs that can really help poor numbers. Get yourself into a T2 and let the super duper new GI bill do the rest. Good luck.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:44 am

Generic20101L wrote:and how that is gonna play in an extremely inflated candidate pool?

2.42 GPA and a 159 LSAT and years of military service in a very unique job and I speak a difficult foreign language. Screwed up my GPA from my first two years in college. Semesters worth of Fs. 3.62 degree GPA flagship public school.

I think that more applicants has helped me. I'm getting waitlisted at multiple top 100 schools and a top 50 today (9 days after I sent it to them, 6-12 percent chance on lawschoolnumbers. I have been accepted by a school in the 80s. I have been rejected by a similar group of schools as well. I am very surprised after hearing numbers are everything for so long and people telling me the only top 100 schools I could get into were Hofstra and New Mexico.

I think I stand out in an inflated pool of applicants.

Or am I just getting pity wait lists for the military experience?

Unless you've won the Distinguished Service Cross or Navy Cross, retake the LSAT.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”