DePaul/Loyola/NIU/JMLS/Kent/UHouston/Georgia St-what to do? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nitr0x99

Bronze

DePaul/Loyola/NIU/JMLS/Kent/UHouston/Georgia St-what to do?

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:28 pm

My acceptances are as follows:

DePaul - 15k/year with 3.2 - (3.2 is top 35%)
Loyola (Chicago) - 5K/year with 3.0 (3.0 is ~ top 50% - I just spoke to the dean)
John Marshall - 20k/year with Top 25% (lol :roll: )
NIU - sticker

Waiting to hear from Chicago-Kent, U Houston(out of state tuition), and Georgia State(out of state tuition). I doubt I will get any significant scholarship offers at any of those schools though, so lets assume sticker price at each. It seems to me like DePaul is my only realistic choice. What do you guys think I should do?
Last edited by nitr0x99 on Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

anonymousj3w

New

Re: DePaul/Loyola/NIU/JMLS/Kent/UHouston/Georgia St-what to do?

Post by anonymousj3w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Loyola

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:31 pm

anonymousj3w wrote:Loyola
Can you explain why? If I manage to keep the scholarship for all 3 years at Loyola, that is the equivalent of one year's worth of scholarship money at DePaul that I at least have guaranteed (15K for the first year)

Is Loyola that much better than DePaul that you would take that risk?

anonymousj3w

New

Post by anonymousj3w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:33 pm

No, they're about equal I'd say. It's mostly personal preference for me. If you are confident that you can stay in the top 35%, then you'd probably be better off at DePaul.

What are your numbers?

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:36 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
Can you explain why? If I manage to keep the scholarship for all 3 years at Loyola, that is the equivalent of one year's worth of scholarship money at DePaul that I at least have guaranteed (15K for the first year)

Probably not, and you make a good point. That's rough that the Depaul scholly has a high-gpa requirement. Have you tried negotiating with Loyola?

If I were you, I'd take Marshall out of consideration entirely. And I wouldn't pay sticker for NIU. My friend's sister has a JD from there, and she currently does paralegal work and waits tables.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:42 pm

cubswin wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:

Probably not, and you make a good point. That's rough that the Depaul scholly has a high-gpa requirement. Have you tried negotiating with Loyola?

If I were you, I'd take Marshall out of consideration entirely. And I wouldn't pay sticker for NIU. My friend's sister has a JD from there, and she currently does paralegal work and waits tables.
Thank you guys for the help. My numbers are 160/3.4

I haven't tried negotiating with Loyola yet. Should I let them know that I want to go there but need a scholarship similar to DePaul's and hope that they match it in dollar value but keep it at an easier (3.0) GPA requirement? That would be the best possible scenario for me considering my numbers.

-Also when negotiating, should I include a scan of my award letters from other schools to let them know that I am not lying?

anonymousj3w

New

Post by anonymousj3w » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:47 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:

Thank you guys for the help. My numbers are 160/3.4

I haven't tried negotiating with Loyola yet. Should I let them know that I want to go there but need a scholarship similar to DePaul's and hope that they match it in dollar value but keep it at an easier (3.0) GPA requirement? That would be the best possible scenario for me considering my numbers.

-Also when negotiating, should I include a scan of my award letters from other schools to let them know that I am not lying?
Yeah, you could try negotiating with them. It can't hurt. I don't think you should have to scan your scholarship letters, I doubt they would think you're lying about it, and if they do they can always request those from you for proof I suppose.

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:53 pm

I would vote for DePaul. Their alumni network is amazing and you can't beat the location.

timertimer61

Bronze

Post by timertimer61 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:56 pm

dont know much about the schools, but i recently visited loyola in chicago and was very impressed with the facilities! it was very clean, new and modern. it was also in a nice area near michigan ave.
while looking there, i was thinking to myself, wow i dont like chicago but i wouldnt mind it here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoosierdaddy

New

Post by hoosierdaddy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:13 pm

If you are serious about negotiating, you should probably scan and attach the competing offer. It is very easy for them to dismiss you - this admission cycle has 35% more applicants than last year and last year was high due to the recession.

I can tell you that I am in a similar situation, tried to negotiate with Loyola and was flatly turned down. They "congratulated" me on my "admission success" and pointed out that Loyola's Scholarship is more easily retained. My situation is slightly different in that I have $10k to Loyola and $15k to DePaul so the difference is relatively negligible. But I did have a full ride at another school that I also threw in for leverage - to no avail of course....

I'm also waiting to see what DePaul's tuition rate is going to be for fall 2010. Loyola's was 3% over prior year, but DePaul hasn't released their increase yet. That could be a factor in your decision if money is an issue.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:53 pm

hoosierdaddy wrote:If you are serious about negotiating, you should probably scan and attach the competing offer. It is very easy for them to dismiss you - this admission cycle has 35% more applicants than last year and last year was high due to the recession.

I can tell you that I am in a similar situation, tried to negotiate with Loyola and was flatly turned down. They "congratulated" me on my "admission success" and pointed out that Loyola's Scholarship is more easily retained. My situation is slightly different in that I have $10k to Loyola and $15k to DePaul so the difference is relatively negligible. But I did have a full ride at another school that I also threw in for leverage - to no avail of course....

I'm also waiting to see what DePaul's tuition rate is going to be for fall 2010. Loyola's was 3% over prior year, but DePaul hasn't released their increase yet. That could be a factor in your decision if money is an issue.
I see, thanks for your input.

It seems to me that based on your experiences, I probably won't have any success in getting them to offer me any more money. Can't hurt to try though. Did you send the email to anyone in specific or the standard admissions email listed on the site?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:48 pm

DePaul. Do the math.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Kobe_Teeth wrote:DePaul. Do the math.
Yeah, if Loyola doesn't budge on the scholarship then its DePaul for sure. Theres this cute girl that goes there I wanna meet anyways so its all good :mrgreen:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoosierdaddy

New

Post by hoosierdaddy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:09 am

I directed the email/letter to the person who is named as the sender of the admission and scholarship letter. It can't really hurt to try. They aren't going to rescind your admission.

One other thing to evaluate when making the decision. Does DePaul or Loyola have a program that you are interested in? They each have programs that stand out and programs that they allocate more resources. While scholarship money is important, if there is a clinical program or narrow interest of study that you want to focus on, that should receive some weight.

Also, after talking to some attorneys tonight, apparently Loyola used to be ranked substantially higher than DePaul in reports such as US News. They believe that the dean at Loyola has chosen not to play the rankings game (which can be manipulated to the detriment of the program) and as a result, the ranking has fallen. Its reputation is stronger among these "old timers" (ha ha 40 to 50 year old) who are the ones making hiring decisions in Chicago law firms.

I'm leaning Loyola.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:06 pm

hoosierdaddy wrote:I directed the email/letter to the person who is named as the sender of the admission and scholarship letter. It can't really hurt to try. They aren't going to rescind your admission.

One other thing to evaluate when making the decision. Does DePaul or Loyola have a program that you are interested in? They each have programs that stand out and programs that they allocate more resources. While scholarship money is important, if there is a clinical program or narrow interest of study that you want to focus on, that should receive some weight.

Also, after talking to some attorneys tonight, apparently Loyola used to be ranked substantially higher than DePaul in reports such as US News. They believe that the dean at Loyola has chosen not to play the rankings game (which can be manipulated to the detriment of the program) and as a result, the ranking has fallen. Its reputation is stronger among these "old timers" (ha ha 40 to 50 year old) who are the ones making hiring decisions in Chicago law firms.

I'm leaning Loyola.

I have noticed this when looking at Chicago employment statistics. Though I still like Kent, that aspect is giving Loyola a boost in my mind.

The only thing I don't like about Loyola is the limited number of clinic areas and specializations.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:08 pm

The only schools with good employment prospects on this list are Georgia State and Houston. I'd go with Houston.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:The only schools with good employment prospects on this list are Georgia State and Houston. I'd go with Houston.

Do you have any resources where I can look up these emplyoment prospects?

Are you making a statement about the market saturation in Chicago vs. Houston/Atlanta, and not so much commenting on the employment prospects coming out of those specific schools? (ie. is it an issue of school or city?)

And as always, thank you for your help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:13 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:The only schools with good employment prospects on this list are Georgia State and Houston. I'd go with Houston.

Are you making a statement about the market saturation in Chicago vs. Houston/Atlanta, and not so much commenting on the employment prospects coming out of those specific schools? (ie. is it an issue of school or city?)

I think Ga. State is in a better position for Atlanta than most of the other schools you listed are for Chicago. They are only third behind UGA and Emory here in Atlanta and they still receive substantial respect as an institution. The Chicago schools have two T14s in their backyard as well as Michigan sending a lot of people to Chicago as well as UIUC and ND.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure you can get resident tuition after the first year, which is only 8K.

nitr0x99

Bronze

Post by nitr0x99 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:28 pm

jerjon2 wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:

I think Ga. State is in a better position for Atlanta than most of the other schools you listed are for Chicago. They are only third behind UGA and Emory here in Atlanta and they still receive substantial respect as an institution. The Chicago schools have two T14s in their backyard as well as Michigan sending a lot of people to Chicago as well as UIUC and ND.

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure you can get resident tuition after the first year, which is only 8K.
Cool, thanks.

I'm looking at GSU tuition right now. Total for instate is 10K/year, and total for out of state is 30K/year. To get instate you have to prove that you are not just there for educational purposes, so I'd have to figure something out about that (maybe I can get my parents to buy a house in ATL :twisted: lol)

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 pm

nitr0x99 wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:
nitr0x99 wrote:

Cool, thanks.

I'm looking at GSU tuition right now. Total for instate is 10K/year, and total for out of state is 30K/year. To get instate you have to prove that you are not just there for educational purposes, so I'd have to figure something out about that (maybe I can get my parents to buy a house in ATL :twisted: lol)
Good luck with that, I think Ga. State will serve you fairly well in Atlanta. Good luck making a decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”