Constitutional Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Billy Blanks

Constitutional Law

Postby Billy Blanks » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:05 pm

I want to study Constitutional, preferably at a school with strong clinics/resources for students interested in PI. I'm currently looking at Berkeley, NYU, and Columbia (possibly with $$).

How do these schools stack up against each other in Constitutional law? If you can, could you distinguish the faculty's strength in research/scholarship from their strength in instruction?

of Benito Cereno

Re: Constitutional Law

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:I want to study Constitutional, preferably at a school with strong clinics/resources for students interested in PI. I'm currently looking at Berkeley, NYU, and Columbia (possibly with $$).

How do these schools stack up against each other in Constitutional law? If you can, could you distinguish the faculty's strength in research/scholarship from their strength in instruction?

[speaking here as a 0L, though I took 5 con law classes at my UGs T14 law school]: well what area of constitutional law are you interested in. a school with a strong program in first amendment issues may very well have quite limited offerings on commercial and labor constitutional issues. outside of survey classes most. Harvard and Yale have clearly the best con law offerings, especially because their faculty cover a really wide area of constitutional scholarship. CCNB all have some excellent faculty and programs in con law though with more holes so you'll need to be more specific about the focus of your interests before choosing.

Dignan

Re: Constitutional Law

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:46 pm

Billy Blanks wrote:I want to study Constitutional, preferably at a school with strong clinics/resources for students interested in PI. I'm currently looking at Berkeley, NYU, and Columbia (possibly with $$).

As I'm sure you know, you're talking about an extremely competitive area. Many top law students enter law school with the dream of teaching constitutional law. As for PI, there are very few PI jobs that deal with constitutional law per se.

As the previous poster mentioned, Yale and Harvard really trump everyone else in Con Law. After that, it depends on what you're interested in. First Amendment? Criminal procedure and the Fourth Amendment? Property rights? I'd think about what you're really interested in and then find the school with faculty who specialize in your area of interest.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”