GWU or Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TripleK

GWU or Cardozo

Postby TripleK » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am

Hello Everyone, I need soem advice. I got into Cardozo and GWU. Both good schools, but I can't decide between them.

Cardozo is in NYC, and that is where I want to work, preferably. GWU is ranked a good deal higher, but is in DC. Both schools I heard are regional schools. Both I have visited, and both I like. I like both cities, but NYC is better.

Any advice? Are job prospects for NYC firms better after graduating from Cardozo since the school is in the region, or does GWU carry some weight that job prospects will be the same?

How do the schools compare? Classes, education?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

nealric

Re: GWU or Cardozo

Postby nealric » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:48 am

Cardozo is in NYC, and that is where I want to work, preferably. GWU is ranked a good deal higher, but is in DC. Both schools I heard are regional schools. Both I have visited, and both I like. I like both cities, but NYC is better.

Any advice? Are job prospects for NYC firms better after graduating from Cardozo since the school is in the region, or does GWU carry some weight that job prospects will be the same?

You will probably have a much easier time getting a job in NYC from GWU than from Cardozo. Unless Cardozo gives you a full-ride scholarship it's a no-brainer.

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:53 am

nealric wrote:You will probably have a much easier time getting a job in NYC from GWU than from Cardozo. Unless Cardozo gives you a full-ride scholarship it's a no-brainer.

I'd stay away from Cardozo, especially with $$, as they are well-known for their section stacking practice.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 am

Money being equal, don't go to Cardozo. A huge percentage of GWU grads find employment in NYC, so you'll have an easy time (relatively speaking) finding a job up north.

$$ offers may change this because the risk is mitigated, but even seeing the offer don't lose sight of the COL difference. I've lived in both areas, and the DC area is way cheaper if you're smart about your expenses.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:19 am

what about fordham v. GW.? looking for biglaw in nyc.

TripleK

Postby TripleK » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:27 am

timertimer61 wrote:what about fordham v. GW.? looking for biglaw in nyc.

I was waitlisted at Fordham. If I got in there, it wouldnt be a question... but I'm not holding hope for a waitlist acceptance.

AgentOrange80

Postby AgentOrange80 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:17 pm

SAE wrote:
nealric wrote:You will probably have a much easier time getting a job in NYC from GWU than from Cardozo. Unless Cardozo gives you a full-ride scholarship it's a no-brainer.

I'd stay away from Cardozo, especially with $$, as they are well-known for their section stacking practice.

I think this is a bit of an overblown rumor. I have many friends that are 2Ls and 3Ls there and are on either full or partial scholarships and none of them lost it.

As for wanting to work in biglaw in NYC, the two schools are probably equal with one another in terms of staying in the NYC area. Cardozo has done a pretty good job of building connections with all the major firms in the region (especially considering the school is only 30+ years old) and even in a down economy like this year, the school attracted 75+ firms for OCI and had all those that elected not to show doing resume collect, i.e. Skadden, Paul Weiss, etc. And, I know each of them is taking at least one summer from Cardozo and pretty sure Skadden is taking two or three for its reported class of 100. The opportunity is definitely there, but of course rank in the class is the biggest factor.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:56 pm

As for wanting to work in biglaw in NYC, the two schools are probably equal with one another in terms of staying in the NYC area. Cardozo has done a pretty good job of building connections with all the major firms in the region (especially considering the school is only 30+ years old) and even in a down economy like this year, the school attracted 75+ firms for OCI and had all those that elected not to show doing resume collect, i.e. Skadden, Paul Weiss, etc. And, I know each of them is taking at least one summer from Cardozo and pretty sure Skadden is taking two or three for its reported class of 100.

There is absolutely no way in h-e double hockey stick that Cardozo places anywhere near as well in biglaw as GW. GW has 517 biglaw firms on its OCI- and about 70 in NYC alone. NYC firms don't even have to travel to interview at Cardozo, they just need to send an associate down for a couple hours.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 pm

would Fordham or George Washington be better for big law in NYC?

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:25 pm

would Fordham or George Washington be better for big law in NYC?

Fordham for sure.

doopwooper

Postby doopwooper » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 pm

timertimer61 wrote:would Fordham or George Washington be better for big law in NYC?
Fordham

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:54 pm

nealric wrote:
There is absolutely no way in h-e double hockey stick that Cardozo places anywhere near as well in biglaw as GW. GW has 517 biglaw firms on its OCI- and about 70 in NYC alone. NYC firms don't even have to travel to interview at Cardozo, they just need to send an associate down for a couple hours.

+1

I almost can't believe this question was asked tbh.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”