Wustl vs. SMU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Wustl vs. SMU

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:46 am

burtonrideclub wrote:From Houston, probably going to be deciding between SMU and Emory/Boston. I'd be comfortable with living somewhere besides Texas, but ITE it seems best to go to the school in a region you KNOW you could be happy in. I don't believe Emory or Boston would give me better opportunities in Texas than SMU.....

Curious, do you mean BU or BC? I'm waiting to hear back from BU.

bonnieblue wrote:gah if smu had just "ponied up"(haha get it) on the cash a bit .......

Well done.

Postby Emboss » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Already posted this on another thread, but felt it might help you with your decision.

I already decided between Cornell, USC, and WUSTL. I chose WUSTL.

Some of my considerations:

1) Wustl's reputation has been rising in both lawyer-judge assessments and dean assessments for over 10 years. It is the only top law school to have gone up in both categories and to never have dropped. These categories are the single most important criteria for US News rankings, and they ultimately correlate with job prospects.
2) Wustl's student medians are higher than Cornell's, tied with Texas's, ahead of USC's, and go up every year
3) Wustl completely revamped its career services office over the past 2 years. Mike Spivey, the newly hired dean, is exceptional.
4) Wustl's new dean, Kent Syverud, is said to be one of the best deans in academia. Rumor has it he scored a 180 on his LSAT.
5) Wustl places strongly not only in the Midwest, but also in the east. So, the degree is more versatile than USC's in terms of geographic preferences. http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/in ... d=5506#geo.
6) Wustl hired 6 faculty members last year--far more than other schools.
7) Wustl is very rich. If you look at the top law schools, they are among the richest institutions by endowment.
8) Wustl is placing far more money into its law school than it did in years past.

In sum, it was very clear to me that Wustl was on the rise and the degree would appreciate in value. In 3 years, by the time you get out of law school, I feel fairly certain that Wustl's rank will go up along with its reputation and career prospects.

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:26 pm

I go to Wustl and I love it. The atmosphere can't be beat and, having transfered, I can appreciate how laid-back and fun the students are. I think it is probably the best law school experience I can imagine.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”