Pros and Cons of the t2 schools...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chipotlaw

Pros and Cons of the t2 schools...

Postby chipotlaw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 am

I'm still waiting to hear on some applications, but here are some acceptances I'm looking for advice on. My goal is to work in a firm (m&a's or something similar) and I am flexible on geographic location having lived in several major cities already. I know $$ talks, but for now, consider all on an even playing field. Here we go:

Loyola LA
San Diego
Santa Clara
Loyola Chicago
DePaul
Penn State
Seton Hall
Catholic U

Any thoughts on which are my best bets and reasons? Thanks everyone!

GATORTIM

Re: Pros and Cons of the t2 schools...

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:01 am

USD, but only because San Diego kicks ass and the other schools are either wildly inferior in their market and/or in a place I would not desire to live

redginseng

Postby redginseng » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:59 am

You say that you are flexible on geographic location, but there's a difference between being flexible and having preference.

So, first choose where you want to spent the next three years and want to practice after you graduate. Then go to a school in that location. It's a really personal decision.

Personally, I like Loyola LA or San Diego from your list.

twert

Postby twert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:11 am

i like USD and Loyola also. USD is the best school in its market, Loyola is the third best school in a very large city.

barry zuckerkorn

Postby barry zuckerkorn » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:58 pm

SCU.

Pros: Location. They fit my public defender bill, too (though if I had a shot at Berkeley, and if they fired John Yoo, I would have taken it). They have the Northern California Innocence Project and traditionally place well in the Bay area PD offices (no biglaw ambition here, just the self-righteous kind), obviously the highest being in Santa Clara county, which is dominated by SCU grads and starts their PDs at just over 90k, and even though that's a bit less than my expected debt, I could live with that.

Con: 4th "best" school in the Bay area. Out of 5. Even though USNews rankings are arbitrary and self-fulfilling, it's tough to argue that Cal and Stanford don't deserve their clout and that Bay area biglaw would look out too far past their shadows, especially in IP(where it's the 3rd best!) despite the whole specialty rank. Hastings... well, $$$, though without the rank, the same argument can be made for Cal.

Though I just learned San Diego is the only Federal Defender office (in Cali at least) that hires students out of law school. Would've taken USD more seriously if I knew that in October.

Oh, so after giving you several reasons why I would chose a school that are completely unrelated to the advice you asked for, I'd say not SCU for you, maybe USD. I know someone who got a summer gig with a big IP firm in the valley, but I haven't heard jack about murders and executions.

chipotlaw

Postby chipotlaw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:32 pm

twert wrote:i like USD and Loyola also. USD is the best school in its market, Loyola is the third best school in a very large city.

Loyola LA? Is there an advantage being downtown that the other schools don't enjoy?

twert

Postby twert » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:09 pm

chipotlaw wrote:
twert wrote:i like USD and Loyola also. USD is the best school in its market, Loyola is the third best school in a very large city.

Loyola LA? Is there an advantage being downtown that the other schools don't enjoy?

no, probably not...

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 pm

chipotlaw wrote:

you have easy access to Skid Row

Return to “Choosing a Law School”