UCLA ($$) vs. UT-Austin ($$) v. Cornell (Sticker)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
gitls

UCLA ($$) vs. UT-Austin ($$) v. Cornell (Sticker)

Postby gitls » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:44 pm

So I have a great scholarship from UT, don't have one yet from UCLA but am hoping for a match or better than UT's offer, and Cornell at sticker. I might get some money from Cornell but have no idea yet since they haven't released their financial aid decisions. If I had to guess Cornell will not offer me much money...but who knows, maybe I'll get something if I let them know about my UT scholarship.

I like all three a lot, especially since I have an interest in applying to their well regarded Urban/Regional Planning masters programs jointly with my JD during my 1L year. I am not very interested in BigLaw. More interested in government work or smaller firms. Basically, cost of attendance is a factor.

If I have no real preference as to location what would everyone advise and why? Oh, and I also have Vandy, BU, and BC to choose from but I have not heard from them yet on financial aid.

Short of an acceptance from U Chicago, Columbia, NYU or Berkeley, I think its going to come down to the above choices. Thanks.

tallboone

Re: UCLA ($$) vs. UT-Austin ($$) v. Cornell (Sticker)

Postby tallboone » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:49 pm

if ucla is willing to match the texas offer, and you don't get in at berkeley, i would definitely go to ucla because their urban planning masters program is highly ranked.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

I asked a (very) similar question on this board earlier in the week.

Considering you are not after Biglaw, and you sound indifferent to the location, I'd say all three would give you an equally outstanding education. It would come down to other factors like school culture, class size, etc. Also, you'd want to weigh costs. Cornell at sticker price would be very expensive.

(Basically it sounds like you want to know which would give you the best education of the three. In that regard, you're not going to get a definite answer.)

Edit: And if you want me to just blurt out a school, then: UCLA Law.
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gitls

Postby gitls » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should say that I don't want to put too much weight on the prestige of their planning programs....the JD is the predominant factor in my decision. It is helpful that all three have, from what I gather, great planning programs.

On the basis of JD alone, how much more would you all be willing to pay for Cornell over UT or UCLA? How much better are the job prospects? And by job prospects I don't necessarily mean how many OCI firms there are as Big Law isn't really what I am after. Thanks again.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:11 pm

gitls wrote:Thanks for the reply. I guess I should say that I don't want to put too much weight on the prestige of their planning programs....the JD is the predominant factor in my decision. It is helpful that all three have, from what I gather, great planning programs.

On the basis of JD alone, how much more would you all be willing to pay for Cornell over UT or UCLA? How much better are the job prospects? And by job prospects I don't necessarily mean how many OCI firms there are as Big Law isn't really what I am after. Thanks again.

Well, the standard metric for job prospects used by TLSers is Biglaw OCI and placement statistics at Biglaw. If you're not after Biglaw, then this relaxes your decision-making process enormously.

If you're not after the T-14 thing for Biglaw, then personally, I could not find a single reason whatsoever to pay a penny more for a Cornell J.D. than a J.D. from Texas or UCLA. In fact, if I were in your situation (and not after Biglaw), it would take money from Cornell to get me to attend over Texas or UCLA. (I happen to like UT and UCLA more culturally, etc.) Also, if you're looking at government, what do you mean by that? National? Regional? If you're after the D.C. market generally, well then Cornell might have a slight advantage, but probably not really. The big guys in Washington got there by making their way up from a localized region anyway not by heading straight to D.C.

Edit: I mean, sorry, my advice so far has not been great, but neither is your question! All three schools are different, and they appeal to different people for different reasons. Do you like the beautiful weather, a medium sized law class, regional rep in So Cal? Then pick UCLA. Do you want to attend the most prestigious school in the Southwest? Do you like larger class sizes for networking purposes? Do you like the music scene in Austin? Well then pick Texas! Do you like small class sizes? Do you like a quiet, serene environment to study in? Do you like private schools generally? Then attend Cornell!

Like I said: Since you're NOT after Biglaw, you're decision-making process is so much more relaxed than for most people who have "T-14 on the brain". If anything, a person in your situation should be looking MORE at things like location, class size, school culture, etc. But instead you're just giving us this apathetic, indifferent, "I-dunno" approach to choosing a school. Come on! Look inside yourself. Ask yourself what you want. Dammit I am hopped up on caffeine.. :oops:
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:I asked a (very) similar question on this board earlier in the week.

Considering you are not after Biglaw, and you sound indifferent to the location, I'd say all three would give you an equally outstanding education. It would come down to other factors like school culture, class size, etc. Also, you'd want to weigh costs. Cornell at sticker price would be very expensive.

[strike]Cornell[/strike] ... no reason to pay more to go there over UT or UCLA

Based on what OP has expressed, I'd choose UT over UCLA due to the lower cost of living in Austin. Both schools are otherwise equally matched, given his goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”