GW 3L taking questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TTH

Re: GW 3L taking questions

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

On a scale of 7 to 13, how would you rate the trim at GW? Separate ratings for UG and law students, plz.

slenslee

Postby slenslee » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Do IP students get opportunities only on the east coast or are they also somewhat competitive in the silicon valley / west coast ip markets?

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

umichgrad wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:Do you ever drive by Georgetown and think about what could have been?

lol nah not at all. I got the job I wanted. Plus, my allegiance is with good ol' Penn State. Student body and professors are equivalent, so nope. (as a 1L, maybe a little, but not now).

Great answers, thanks again! One last question; I'm waitlisted at GULC and not expecting to get off it, and I like GW more and more. If I unexpectedly got into GULC in August, what would you choose?

I mean if I were you I would choose GULC. Although I honestly don't think there is a difference in the student body, professors, or education you will receive, it would be wise in this case to go to the "T14," especially ITE.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Last edited by Amelie on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:29 pm

slenslee wrote:Do IP students get opportunities only on the east coast or are they also somewhat competitive in the silicon valley / west coast ip markets?

From what I hear they are competitive all over the country. GW has many firms from CA recruit here, even this year. GW is known throughout the country as a leader in the IP field; this is a reputation, and has nothing to do with US-News specialty rankings. Also, firms that do recruit GW students for IP are always more lenient in terms of grades. I remember at OCI a firm I was interviewing at required a 3.4, unless you were IP, which was a 3.0.

We also have a bunch of people here from CA, who plan on returning when they are done with law school. I am not an IP person, but I know from some of my friends who are that the connections are just insane. (Also, the IP professors here are the BEST. I would put them up against a Stanford professor any day of the week).

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:44 pm

nyyankees wrote:what other schools were you considering when you chose GW? Do you believe GWs ranking slip has hurt its OCI, or are employers generally more likely to go on general lay of prestige understanding of the school?

I was choosing between GW, WUSTL, BC, Fordham, and UIUC. The Career Development Office put out a statement recently, claiming that OCI, like any other school, has lost some employers due to the economy. However, we have not lost very many. The CDO also stated that they actually asked top firms what they thought about the ranking slip, and that most were unaware of such slip or simply didn't care about year to year variations in the rankings. So, I think when a firm has had a longstanding relationship with a law school, no change in rankings, unless substantial, will hurt OCI.

On a different note, I would be shocked if GW didn't bounce back up to 20-22 this year. Our current 1L class is supposedly the best ranking class that GW has ever fielded.

Ryan_MPLS

Postby Ryan_MPLS » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:59 pm

I am considering attending GWU, but I am a little apprehensive about the cost. Did this factor into your decision? And how are you planning on repaying the 70-ish K per year?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:15 pm

GW at sticker, is it worth it?

All, do you have experience with need based aid?

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Ryan_MPLS wrote:I am considering attending GWU, but I am a little apprehensive about the cost. Did this factor into your decision? And how are you planning on repaying the 70-ish K per year?

I am currently paying sticker; it did factor into my decision, but at the end of the day I loved the school and its prospects. Although the TLS posters seem to believe that GW is "never" worth sticker, I can assure you that many many many of GW's students do indeed pay sticker. For all of us that do, we hope to get good jobs that can help to ease the burden of the cost. I was able to get a job where I am able to feel okay about the debt that I took out, but I can't speak to everyones' situation.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:29 pm

Veritas wrote:GW at sticker, is it worth it?

All, do you have experience with need based aid?

No, I don't have any experience with need based aid. I mean bottom line, law school is expensive. I know that GW is a bit on the pricey side, but for me, I can say that it was worth it. I can't say it will be worth it for you or any other posters, but I feel that I attained an amazing education, made great friends and connections, and came away with the job that I wanted.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Can you tell me what GW curves to for 1ls? I received a scholarship that is contingent on a 3.0 and I was curious how feasible this is? Also do you know if GW is known for section stacking there scholarship recipients at all??

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:Can you tell me what GW curves to for 1ls? I received a scholarship that is contingent on a 3.0 and I was curious how feasible this is? Also do you know if GW is known for section stacking there scholarship recipients at all??

What this guy asked. heh.

Also, since you're being awesomely honest in this thread, I'll ask you your opinion on my situation. In at GW with $105,450. I don't know much about the place yet, but there is some sort of undefinable intangible aspect of it that's drawing me to it. I had that feeling even before I got the acceptance and money.

But, today I got into UCLA. This complicates matters. Assuming I get no money from UCLA, would it be a stupid decision to leave all the money on the table at GW?

Oh and if you can pinpoint the force driving me to GW that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

wired

Postby wired » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 pm

td6624 wrote:
lawschoolftw wrote:Can you tell me what GW curves to for 1ls? I received a scholarship that is contingent on a 3.0 and I was curious how feasible this is? Also do you know if GW is known for section stacking there scholarship recipients at all??

Also, since you're being awesomely honest in this thread, I'll ask you your opinion on my situation. In at GW with $105,450. I don't know much about the place yet, but there is some sort of undefinable intangible aspect of it that's drawing me to it. I had that feeling even before I got the acceptance and money.

But, today I got into UCLA. This complicates matters. Assuming I get no money from UCLA, would it be a stupid decision to leave all the money on the table at GW?

Thanks in advance!

I am not a law school student, but I will give you my input.

Do you have a good scholarship at UCLA or want to work in California? If either of those is yes, I would consider it over GW. However, if you want to work anywhere east of Colorado, I think GW will offer you a better shot. GW actually has better national placement than UCLA in BigLaw. There could be some self-selection going on, but it is something to consider. (Source: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2003 ... onal.shtml - a little outdated, but still relevant I think.) That is an AMAZING scholarship from GW and would push your total costs to around $30k/year. Compare that to UCLA sticker, out-of-state: around $70k. Unless you DEFINITELY want to be in California, I don't see the the difference in ranking warranting $40k. GW actually has good placement in Cal as is, so even if you want to work in Cal, you might be better of at GW.

Edit: Also, the thing driving you to GW is its reputation that brings in Supreme Court justices to judge moot court tournaments and the fact that it is 1 mile from the DC mall.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:23 pm

wired wrote:
td6624 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I am not a law school student, but I will give you my input.

Do you have a good scholarship at UCLA or want to work in California? If either of those is yes, I would consider it over GW. However, if you want to work anywhere east of Colorado, I think GW will offer you a better shot. GW actually has better national placement than UCLA in BigLaw. There could be some self-selection going on, but it is something to consider. (Source: http://www.leiterrankings.com/jobs/2003 ... onal.shtml - a little outdated, but still relevant I think.) That is an AMAZING scholarship from GW and would push your total costs to around $30k/year. Compare that to UCLA sticker, out-of-state: around $70k. Unless you DEFINITELY want to be in California, I don't see the the difference in ranking warranting $40k. GW actually has good placement in Cal as is, so even if you want to work in Cal, you might be better of at GW.

Edit: Also, the thing driving you to GW is its reputation that brings in Supreme Court justices to judge moot court tournaments and the fact that it is 1 mile from the DC mall.

Thanks! I really appreciate the input.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:51 am

GW typically has a B+ curve for all classes, unless it is a smaller class (I think under 20 or so), where the professor can go above that curve. For 1Ls, I think the curve is typically a little lower, somewhere around a 3.2 or so.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:55 am

td6624 wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on both acceptances! Both are great schools. I think that if you were to get little to no money at UCLA, it would be unwise to not take that substantial scholly from GW. I mean, if the East Coast is your preference, I would also take GW. What I really enjoyed about GW was the amazing professors and student body. I actually have had 4 professors who have clerked for the Supreme Court, and a bunch that have clerked at various Circuit Courts. GW also does an amazing job with OCI, and really does reel in top notch law firms in droves. I actually had an easy time at OCI getting a job offer, and keep in mind that I have median grades (with the caveat that the economy wasn't pure sh*t at that time). PM me if you have any additional questions.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:30 am

Hey, thanks so much for answering questions. Have you heard anything about this year's OCI numbers? Rumor around here is that it wasn't so great - just wondering what you have heard being at the school.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:37 am

K's Logic wrote:Hey, thanks so much for answering questions. Have you heard anything about this year's OCI numbers? Rumor around here is that it wasn't so great - just wondering what you have heard being at the school.

I don't know for sure about the exact number of firms that came to our OCI, but obviously it was not anywhere near as good as it was last year for my class. Most people I know do have jobs however, some through OCI and some through just sending out resumes etc. The Career Development Office has done a great job, in my opinion, of stretching their connections for students who didn't get anything through OCI. It hasn't happened this year yet, but last year GW also has a "Spring OCI," focused exclusively on small and medium sized firms. I am not sure of the date that this will happen this year, but I know that last year it really helped a lot of people. It was also really cool to see an OCI done with these size employers. But do keep in mind that there are people at GW without jobs at the moment, but I would not classify them as the majority by any means. I think you will find this at any top-20 range law school this year as it's just the nature of the economy.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:41 am

Can you speak at all about GW's environmental law program and clinics? I'm leaning GW's way and am exclusively interested in environmental law - I know they have a good rep in that field and a few highly regarded professors, but I've yet to run across a GW student who has actual experience with it.

dood

Postby dood » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:54 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:24 pm

Would it even be feasible to live with someone in a room in the Aston? I looked at the floor plan but couldn't really get a feel for how large it was.

I got the offer to live there for a semester for free (or a year at half price? I don't know.), but I'm planning on living with my SO. So I don't know what to do about that.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks guys for the help. Im excited about living in Aston my first year, especially since its free lol. Also about the scholarship requirement a 3.0 seems more than reasonable. This will allow me to be below the median (not that im planning it) and still keep the scholly.

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:38 pm

dood wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:2) I did not live in the Aston, but I do know about it. It reminds me of a hotel (sort of); the rooms are a decent size, but there is no kitchen, as there are shared kitchens in the Aston (on each floor). It's very close to the law school, which is great, but people that I know who did live there did not like it very much. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive option in terms of housing in DC. I'm not sure of the exact price, but I THINK it's like $900/month with cable and internet provided (I think; I am not sure on the price, but it is in that ballpark).

NO.
1) Every room has a kitchen, full size refrigerator, dishwasher, private bathroom, individual AC and heating unit.
2) $7,467.50 per semester ($1495/month), includes all utilities (electricity, AC, heating, internet, cable).
3) I would say 75% who live here like it. If you like convenience and socializing with people, then you will like the Aston.

It's about a 10 minute walk to class, but I've made in 5 before. 1 block from Walgreens, CVS, and gas station. Liqueur store across the street, literally. 3 blocks from Trader Joe's, public swimming pool, about 30 restaurants/bars/club/lounges. Can't beat the location.

I really apologize; when I replied to this question I was thinking of the Hova for some reason. The poster who corrected me is absolutely accurate regarding the Aston. Sorry for misreading your question.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:47 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
dood wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:2) I did not live in the Aston, but I do know about it. It reminds me of a hotel (sort of); the rooms are a decent size, but there is no kitchen, as there are shared kitchens in the Aston (on each floor). It's very close to the law school, which is great, but people that I know who did live there did not like it very much. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive option in terms of housing in DC. I'm not sure of the exact price, but I THINK it's like $900/month with cable and internet provided (I think; I am not sure on the price, but it is in that ballpark).

NO.
1) Every room has a kitchen, full size refrigerator, dishwasher, private bathroom, individual AC and heating unit.
2) $7,467.50 per semester ($1495/month), includes all utilities (electricity, AC, heating, internet, cable).
3) I would say 75% who live here like it. If you like convenience and socializing with people, then you will like the Aston.

It's about a 10 minute walk to class, but I've made in 5 before. 1 block from Walgreens, CVS, and gas station. Liqueur store across the street, literally. 3 blocks from Trader Joe's, public swimming pool, about 30 restaurants/bars/club/lounges. Can't beat the location.

I really apologize; when I replied to this question I was thinking of the Hova for some reason. The poster who corrected me is absolutely accurate regarding the Aston. Sorry for misreading your question.

But do they allow cats?

pennstatepride

Postby pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:49 pm

ccs224 wrote:Can you speak at all about GW's environmental law program and clinics? I'm leaning GW's way and am exclusively interested in environmental law - I know they have a good rep in that field and a few highly regarded professors, but I've yet to run across a GW student who has actual experience with it.

I am not very familiar with the professors or courses in environmental law, and like you, have only heard of the great professors and curriculum.

Generally speaking, GW has some amazing clinics, ranging from animal law to assisting small businesses. There are definitely many clinics to choose from, and GW takes them very seriously. I really did enjoy my semester working in a clinic, and really gained worthwhile practical legal skills that I didn't even acquire during my 2L summer associateship. I only applied to 2 clinics (in one semester) and was accepted to my 2nd choice; I have not heard of many people wanting to be in a clinic during 2L and 3L and not obtaining said opportunity at least once. However, the clinics can be demanding, and do require many more hours than the credit hours may indicate (I spent about 20hrs/wk when I was in a clinic, even though it was only worth 4 credit hours). All in all, GW really does have a plethora of clinics that are highly regarded in the DC community; not only are they helpful in assisting the community, but the clinical professors really go out of their way to ensure that you acquire practical legal skills during the process.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”