GW 3L taking questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennstatepride

New

Re: GW 3L taking questions

Post by pennstatepride » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 pm

ccs224 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
dood wrote:
pennstatepride wrote: 2) I did not live in the Aston, but I do know about it. It reminds me of a hotel (sort of); the rooms are a decent size, but there is no kitchen, as there are shared kitchens in the Aston (on each floor). It's very close to the law school, which is great, but people that I know who did live there did not like it very much. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive option in terms of housing in DC. I'm not sure of the exact price, but I THINK it's like $900/month with cable and internet provided (I think; I am not sure on the price, but it is in that ballpark).
NO.
1) Every room has a kitchen, full size refrigerator, dishwasher, private bathroom, individual AC and heating unit.
2) $7,467.50 per semester ($1495/month), includes all utilities (electricity, AC, heating, internet, cable).
3) I would say 75% who live here like it. If you like convenience and socializing with people, then you will like the Aston.

It's about a 10 minute walk to class, but I've made in 5 before. 1 block from Walgreens, CVS, and gas station. Liqueur store across the street, literally. 3 blocks from Trader Joe's, public swimming pool, about 30 restaurants/bars/club/lounges. Can't beat the location.
I really apologize; when I replied to this question I was thinking of the Hova for some reason. The poster who corrected me is absolutely accurate regarding the Aston. Sorry for misreading your question.

But do they allow cats?
Huh, not really sure about that one. I'm sure GW Housing could answer that if you e-mailed them. I myself don't know anyone in student housing with a pet, so I would just be guessing if I said yes or no. Sorry.

EDIT: This is from a FAQ section about the HOVA (GW housing apartments)---

Can I bring my pet with me to HOVA?
Pets are not allowed in GW residence halls.

So, I guess the answer is no.

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:17 am

pennstatepride wrote: Huh, not really sure about that one. I'm sure GW Housing could answer that if you e-mailed them. I myself don't know anyone in student housing with a pet, so I would just be guessing if I said yes or no. Sorry.

Dang. Guess I'll have to smuggle her in.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:19 am

ccs224 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote: Huh, not really sure about that one. I'm sure GW Housing could answer that if you e-mailed them. I myself don't know anyone in student housing with a pet, so I would just be guessing if I said yes or no. Sorry.

Dang. Guess I'll have to smuggle her in.
lol I mean, I would guess there are cats in a lot of residence halls.

caleng

New

Post by caleng » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:28 pm

I got into GW with the 105k scholarship, but I've been told that I should choose a school based on location. I'm interested in IP so GW seems like the best match (especially with the money), however I want to work in CA in the long run. Do you know if CA IP firms recruit at GW?

Note: I didn't even apply to Stanford or Berkeley because 1. My scores aren't high enough, and 2. I really want to get away from the Bay Area for at least 3 years. DC is the perfect location for school as long as I can return west after I'm out.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:39 pm

caleng wrote:I got into GW with the 105k scholarship, but I've been told that I should choose a school based on location. I'm interested in IP so GW seems like the best match (especially with the money), however I want to work in CA in the long run. Do you know if CA IP firms recruit at GW?

Note: I didn't even apply to Stanford or Berkeley because 1. My scores aren't high enough, and 2. I really want to get away from the Bay Area for at least 3 years. DC is the perfect location for school as long as I can return west after I'm out.
It seems like GW is a perfect fit, especially b/c it is so highly regarded in the IP field (this holds true in CA as well). I cannot say for sure the exact number of CA IP firms that come to OCI, but I do know that there are many CA firms that do participate (anywhere between 50-70 in past years). Plus, a lot of IP firms have DC offices, so it is easy for them to attend OCI for multiple locations (such as their CA office). In the end, you wouldn't even be taking a huge risk going to GW even if you want to return to CA; 105k is huge, and you would have very little debt coming out of law school. Where else did you apply/get in to? If you didn't get into any good CA schools, this decision is pretty easy. If you are choosing between UCLA/USC and GW, I would think that those schools would better serve your needs career wise. However, if you didn't receive any money from the CA schools (or only an insignificant amount), I would still choose GW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

caleng

New

Post by caleng » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I'm still waiting on USC and UCLA, so far I've just gotten into Hasting and Loyola (and some others but not in California). Since I'm originally from LA (and I really don't want to live at home during the first year to save money) I'm leaning toward GW even if I do get into either of the big LA schools. As you said, 105k is a lot of money and there's just something about studying law in DC...

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 pm

Any general opinions on finding housing unaffiliated with the school?

So far this is what's giving me the most headaches, which I suppose is a good thing. haha.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

td6624 wrote:Any general opinions on finding housing unaffiliated with the school?

So far this is what's giving me the most headaches, which I suppose is a good thing. haha.
This is a really great site that GW has that really helped me;

http://gwired.gwu.edu/offcampus/find/Ap ... eGWCampus/

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
td6624 wrote:Any general opinions on finding housing unaffiliated with the school?

Oh, thank you so much. I probably could have found that if I'd bothered to look!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

td6624 wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:

Oh, thank you so much. I probably could have found that if I'd bothered to look!
Not a problem at all. Happy to help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”