GW 3L taking questions Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pennstatepride

New

GW 3L taking questions

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:49 pm

Ask away!

umichgrad

Bronze

Re: GW 3L taking questions

Post by umichgrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:24 pm

Lots of questions: What made you choose GW? Are you happy with the environment (people, social life, quality of life)? How are the opportunities for people not in IP, specifically those interested in Public Interest?

Likely future GW 1L here. Appreciate your comments. Thanks!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 pm

I guess I'll ask the inevitable "Can you tell us about OCI, or how job prospects were looking for yourself and your classmates?" question.

As a part of the scholarship GW I received, they said I would get a unit in the Aston. Do you know anything about this residence?

Did you find the large class size to be a detriment? I used to think a student body of 800 was big, but over 1,600 makes me a bit wary. Can you perhaps touch on this?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:46 pm

umichgrad wrote:Lots of questions: What made you choose GW? Are you happy with the environment (people, social life, quality of life)? How are the opportunities for people not in IP, specifically those interested in Public Interest?

Likely future GW 1L here. Appreciate your comments. Thanks!
I ended up choosing GW because (out of the T20s that I was admitted to) they placed very well in DC and NY, which were/are desirable areas for me in terms of practicing law. The environment is amazing; the students are all super friendly, social, and pleasant to be around. Sharing notes/outlines is common, and the GW SBA does an outstanding job of sponsoring cool student events (such as a ski-trip, bar-review (not the exam), etc). Overall, I would say that I have had a superior social experience here.

It is true, the IP students pretty much get whatever they want in terms of jobs; however, everyone else does fine as well. I can only speak for myself (and people I know here), but finding a job was not very difficult. Now, keep in mind that I went through the OCI process as a 2L right before the economy totally fell through, so that definitely helped. During my 2L OCI, I had 20 interviews/9 callbacks, and eventually accepted an offer at a firm in NY. In regard to public interest prospects: I cannot say for sure how well GW is doing in this field, but I do know that a new public interest dean (Dean Morrison) is now here, who is a pioneer in the public interest field.

Also, the clinics here are outstanding. If you do come to GW, make sure to take advantage of one of the many clinics offered here as a 2L or 3L.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Cool, great answers, thanks. I was actually concerned about clinics, because when I visited my tour guide told me that clinics are hard to get into and you're lucky to end up with the opportunity to do one during your three years, and it probably won't be your top choice. Has that not been your experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:59 pm

what was your rank? Were you in the top 25%/

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm

what other schools were you considering when you chose GW? Do you believe GWs ranking slip has hurt its OCI, or are employers generally more likely to go on general lay of prestige understanding of the school?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:03 pm

dakatz wrote:I guess I'll ask the inevitable "Can you tell us about OCI, or how job prospects were looking for yourself and your classmates?" question.

As a part of the scholarship GW I received, they said I would get a unit in the Aston. Do you know anything about this residence?

Did you find the large class size to be a detriment? I used to think a student body of 800 was big, but over 1,600 makes me a bit wary. Can you perhaps touch on this?
1) As a 2L, OCI went very well. I had 20 interviews/9 callbacks, and accepted an offer at a NY firm as a summer associate; I also am set to work there subsequent to graduation. My fellow 2L peers that year did very well also; however, I cannot speak to how OCI went this year for the 1L class, but I do know that all of my friends have jobs lined up after they graduate, whether that be in a firm/government etc.

2) I did not live in the Aston, but I do know about it. It reminds me of a hotel (sort of); the rooms are a decent size, but there is no kitchen, as there are shared kitchens in the Aston (on each floor). It's very close to the law school, which is great, but people that I know who did live there did not like it very much. Keep in mind that it is an inexpensive option in terms of housing in DC. I'm not sure of the exact price, but I THINK it's like $900/month with cable and internet provided (I think; I am not sure on the price, but it is in that ballpark).

3) Well, I went to Penn State for undergrad, so a "big" student body to me has a different meaning. However, I can say this; it in no way feels like there is a total student body of 1,600 here. To be honest, when you brought this up I had to think about the number for second. Classes as a 1L are a decent size; in your 1L classes a typical class size is about 90-100, with the exception of your LRW class, which I think has about 10-12 students in each section. Keep in mind that a lot of those 1,600 students are part-time students. I believe that GW has DRASTICALLY reduced their PT program (probably due to the rankings formula), and the entering class will now only have 50 pt students, in comparison to 150/200 (I think) in previous years.

As a 2L and 3L, class sizes are much much smaller. Since 1L, I have only had 1 or 2 classes with 75 or so students, and the rest usually averaging out to about 30-50/class. Some classes I have taken as a 2L and 3L consisted of 10, 12, and 15 students. However, you will always have a larger class size (anywhere from 50-90) in popular courses or courses taught by "famous" professors. I find that the professors here are always available for office hours or to meet with you (some even meet you for lunch), and that the larger student body is not really "felt" in the classroom.

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm

oh and how much would you say is total expenditures (tuition, housing, books, food etc) for the year? There has been some debate on this site over the past few weeks because in the admissions package they say its over 70k/year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 pm

avacado111 wrote:what was your rank? Were you in the top 25%/
I am actually not sure of my rank, because they only rank up to the 35% mark. So, I could be 36% or 45%, I can't really say for sure. I have decent grades, and am slightly above the median here.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:05 pm

nyyankees wrote:oh and how much would you say is total expenditures (tuition, housing, books, food etc) for the year? There has been some debate on this site over the past few weeks because in the admissions package they say its over 70k/year.
+1. There's no way it's that much...right? :shock:

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:07 pm

How would a top 1/3 student at GW fare at say Sidley in Singapore?

nyyankees

Bronze

Post by nyyankees » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 pm

kittenmittons wrote:How would a top 1/3 student at GW fare at say Sidley in Singapore?
LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

umichgrad wrote:Cool, great answers, thanks. I was actually concerned about clinics, because when I visited my tour guide told me that clinics are hard to get into and you're lucky to end up with the opportunity to do one during your three years, and it probably won't be your top choice. Has that not been your experience?
I didn't apply as a 2L (which I regret), but I did apply as a 3L and did get my 2nd choice. In my opinion, if a student wants a clinic it can be attained. Sure, maybe not your 1st choice, but if you apply as a 2L and 3L, I really don't see how you couldn't get into one. I applied 1 time as a 3L and got it (and my grades are median, not top 10% or something). Also, if your interests/experiences are in line with one of the clinics' focus areas, that greatly increases your likelihood of being chosen. Before "clinic season" begins, there are "open houses" where you can meet with the clinic professors and ask questions etc. GW takes their clinics very seriously, and seem to be committed to providing students with a really positive experience.

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:10 pm

nyyankees wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:How would a top 1/3 student at GW fare at say Sidley in Singapore?
LOL
lol that case western post was def a flame haha

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Do you ever drive by Georgetown and think about what could have been?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 pm

American at sticker? Or GW with 10K a year? Which should I choose?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 pm

umichgrad wrote:
nyyankees wrote:oh and how much would you say is total expenditures (tuition, housing, books, food etc) for the year? There has been some debate on this site over the past few weeks because in the admissions package they say its over 70k/year.
+1. There's no way it's that much...right? :shock:
I can only speak to my expenses per year. I have a 9-month apartment lease (in a nice area), and pay 2k/month total (with utilities/cable/internet). So, including food, books, going out, traveling back home if I need to, I'm looking at around 24k maybe. Something in that range, maybe a little more/less. So, 70k could or could not be accurate. If tuition is 44k, I would say 70k could be accurate. However, I feel that my apartment is at the higher end of the spectrum, as many of my friends have places that are much cheaper.

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Is this your anthem?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:Do you ever drive by Georgetown and think about what could have been?
lol nah not at all. I got the job I wanted. Plus, my allegiance is with good ol' Penn State. Student body and professors are equivalent, so nope. (as a 1L, maybe a little, but not now).

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

kittenmittons wrote:Is this your anthem?
lol wow...that's a new one

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

pennstatepride wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:Do you ever drive by Georgetown and think about what could have been?
lol nah not at all. I got the job I wanted. Plus, my allegiance is with good ol' Penn State. Student body and professors are equivalent, so nope. (as a 1L, maybe a little, but not now).
Was going from the Ivy league Penn State to GW hard?

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 pm

Desert Fox wrote:American at sticker? Or GW with 10K a year? Which should I choose?
I'm biased. I would choose GW. Depends on if you want some portability with your JD, and what you want to practice. GW would provide you with far more opportunities than American (typically). I can't speak to American's professors, but I don't think you could even attempt to make a comparison (as well as student body quality).

pennstatepride

New

Post by pennstatepride » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
pennstatepride wrote:
Was going from the Ivy league Penn State to GW hard?
lol It was hard leaving the "public ivy" Penn State, yes.

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:21 pm

pennstatepride wrote:

Great answers, thanks again! One last question; I'm waitlisted at GULC and not expecting to get off it, and I like GW more and more. If I unexpectedly got into GULC in August, what would you choose?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”