Part time -- is it a bad idea?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ahhshit

Part time -- is it a bad idea?

Postby ahhshit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 am

Hey, guys.

So, I'm looking into some PT programs. I'm financially independent, don't have any co-signers, and have some bills that I need to pay off. Long story short...I need to have an income above what the loans I'd be able to obtain can give me. At least right now.

Couple questions...

Are PT students still eligible for scholarships/financial aid? I plan to call some schools and ask this, but I'd love some input from people who know for sure one way or the other.

Also...Do PT students have fewer career prospects? I'm a little confused regarding clinicals, internships, etc. in terms of their availability to PT students.

Thank you in advance, appreciate the help.

nealric

Re: Part time -- is it a bad idea?

Postby nealric » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:38 am

Some of it is school dependent, but I was PT in my first year and think it worked out well.

Scholarships: probably school dependent. I do know that they didn't do need based aid for PTers, but very few got that anyways.

Job prospects: I don't think being PT hurts at all (it can even help in some circumstances).

In general, I think it's a fabulous way to mitigate debt (as long as you can keep a sufficiently high-paying job)

ahhshit

Re: Part time -- is it a bad idea?

Postby ahhshit » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

nealric wrote:Some of it is school dependent, but I was PT in my first year and think it worked out well.

Scholarships: probably school dependent. I do know that they didn't do need based aid for PTers, but very few got that anyways.

Job prospects: I don't think being PT hurts at all (it can even help in some circumstances).

In general, I think it's a fabulous way to mitigate debt (as long as you can keep a sufficiently high-paying job)

Thanks for the helpful response, appreciate it. I've read a lot of conflicting info on here regarding PT status.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”