Hipsters in Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
elliefont

Re: Hipsters in Law School

Postby elliefont » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43032

genius archive pull.

anyway, by my tally, there are a few "hipsters" at most of the schools I know, some with legit pitchfork cred, even! can you believe these kids wanna learn law to make money into adulthood or maybe even perform some public good? the sellouts.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:38 pm

elliefont wrote:

genius archive pull.

anyway, by my tally, there are a few "hipsters" at most of the schools I know, some with legit pitchfork cred, even! can you believe these kids wanna learn law to make money into adulthood or maybe even perform some public good? the sellouts.

What schools? I find it hard to believe there aren't several at a school like nyu and ucla.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:39 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:No, they're all at my local panera.

Hipsters in your town hang out at Panera? Do you live in Akron or something?

Maybe you're thinking of mall rats.

What does Akron have to do with anything. And no, I'm in DC. They all go to the fucking Panera in Maryland near me. They're always there when I want a bearclaw.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Pfft. This shit is stupid. I don't even know what a hipster is, this is like when people complain about emos...

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:50 pm

I think there is a law somewhere that you can't use the word "hipster" in a sentence without also using the world "prick." I'm pretty sure that was in a recent piece of legislation.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:54 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
elliefont wrote:

genius archive pull.

What schools? I find it hard to believe there aren't several at a school like nyu and ucla.

well... member of a well regarded art rock band attends a southern t-14. cutey kids with plaid shirts and geek glasses have been known to attend at Columbia and NU. And of course, this is encouraging despite the lack of skinny jeans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caZiCBYmV7c

but will they like your specific brand of electronic dance remixes or 10min noise pyschedelia? hard to say.

egilb

Postby egilb » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:00 pm

Hahah! This thread cracks me up. If you want to avoid hipsters, I wouldn't recommend UT. I didn't see a hell of a lot when I visited the law school. But after living in Austin, I can tell you that the city is positively overrun with them.

Steven Perry

Postby Steven Perry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:No, they're all at my local panera.

Hipsters in your town hang out at Panera? Do you live in Akron or something?

Maybe you're thinking of mall rats.

This is effing hilarious, but true, real hipsters don't eat at Panera.

After giving it some thought, i think I agree, true hipsters would never attend law school, nevermind.

High School mall rats and hipsters can look very similar, they're sometimes hard to distinguish.

I believe you just broke one of the most fundamental hipster rules: pointing out their similarities with high school students.

And you guys are right, I don't think many hipsters attend law school; although, that could be because Vassar and Rollins don't have law schools.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:02 pm

Definition of Hipter: A hypocritical materialistic person who purchases the latest "trendy" electronic and clothing items while at the same time criticizing society for being selfish and sel-indulgent.

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:03 pm

So...are you trying to find a school where hipsters exist so you can go and fit in, or are you trying to find one where they don't exist so that you can either 1) fit in or 2) not conform by being the only hipster on campus?

I'm confused, but that was a legitimate question.

Hipsters don't really bug me. Some of the girls are fun to look at and have decent recommendations for music sometimes.

I was at a bar a few weeks ago and this hipster dude told my friend that he bought his pants at H&M in the women's section. I thought that was hilarious.

Anyway, time for Lost.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

I saw this awesome "Hipster" inspired t-shirt online that said "Band that's too cool for you to have heard of." I loved it.

Harvey Dent

Postby Harvey Dent » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 pm

There wasn't as many as I expected.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

scionb4 wrote:Definition of Hipter: A hypocritical materialistic person who purchases the latest "trendy" electronic and clothing items while at the same time criticizing society for being selfish and sel-indulgent.

hating on hipsters for being judgmental? yer doing it wrong.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:11 pm

We have one; very annoying and pretentious dude.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Q: How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: It's some really obscure number, you've probably never heard of it.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:16 pm

This thread is now for hipster jokes:

Q. How many hipsters does it take to flush a toilet?
A. You can’t touch that toilet, it’s art.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:19 pm

elliefont wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Definition of Hipter: A hypocritical materialistic person who purchases the latest "trendy" electronic and clothing items while at the same time criticizing society for being selfish and sel-indulgent.

I don't care that they're judgmental, they can have whatever opinions they want to have about the failings of society. But when they criticize society the way the hippies did back in the day for materialism and such but they purchase $6 Starbucks drinks on a daily basis, are always downloading "killer apps" on their iphones, and spend $120 on outfits that are supposed to reveal their rebelliousness, then they are being hypocritical. It's like Al Gore telling off the world for not being energy efficient enough when his house uses 17x as much energy than the national average. Double standards piss me off.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:23 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Realized we had gotten through more than a page without a picture.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm

I see this going the way of the "bro" thread, complete with regional definitions of "hipster".

Didn't one of the guys from Cursive go to Duke Law? I don't know if he was a hipster or not, but I [strike]know[/strike] knew a lot of hipsters who like Cursive.

EDIT: Pearalegal! Where'd you get my facebook profile pic?! :wink:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm

But seriously, they hang out at my panera.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Pearalegal wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Realized we had gotten through more than a page without a picture.

Are those gym shorts?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 pm

scionb4 wrote:Are those gym shorts?

I don't think so. They look like cut offs to me. And I think I see a belt. Although hardcore kids used to wear gym shorts. ...They called the mosh shorts, get it? Maybe they still do for all I know.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm

scionb4 wrote:
elliefont wrote:

I don't care that they're judgmental, they can have whatever opinions they want to have about the failings of society. But when they criticize society the way the hippies did back in the day for materialism and such but they purchase $6 Starbucks drinks on a daily basis, are always downloading "killer apps" on their iphones, and spend $120 on outfits that are supposed to reveal their rebelliousness, then they are being hypocritical. It's like Al Gore telling off the world for not being energy efficient enough when his house uses 17x as much energy than the national average. Double standards piss me off.

A real hipster wouldn't be caught dead in a Starbucks.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:31 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
scionb4 wrote:Are those gym shorts?

I don't think so. They look like cut offs to me. And I think I see a belt. Although hardcore kids used to wear gym shorts. ...They called the mosh shorts, get it? Maybe they still do for all I know.

You can't even identify your own clothes?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:36 pm

drsomebody wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
elliefont wrote:

A real hipster wouldn't be caught dead in a Starbucks.

+1 Fair Trade beans + locally roasted FTW

Return to “Choosing a Law School”