Hipsters in Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
scionb4

Re: Hipsters in Law School

Postby scionb4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 pm

gatorlion wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
utexas2010 wrote:I am no hipster by any means, but I would rather be surrounded by hipsters with skinny jeans than 5,000 frat kids who all dress like thier 50 year old dads with short khakis, boat shoes, and ugly polo shirts....not to mention sunglasses with rubber straps and the same puffy comeover haircut...

I am not saying hipster's should be left alone, but if you are going to make fun of them at least do me the favor of making fun of those goofy robot frat kids as well.

Nobody ever said broskies aren't annoying. They are extremely annoying, and I hate being around them. In fact, I'm going to start the "Bros in law school" thread.

This thread has been moved to the Florida State University forum.

I kept my word! This thread now has a spin-off, kind of like JAG got NCIS. I invite all of you to engage in some serious Bro Bashing there.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 pm

utexas2010 wrote:I am no hipster by any means, but I would rather be surrounded by hipsters with skinny jeans than 5,000 frat kids who all dress like thier 50 year old dads with short khakis, boat shoes, and ugly polo shirts....not to mention sunglasses with rubber straps and the same puffy comeover haircut...

I am not saying hipster's should be left alone, but if you are going to make fun of them at least do me the favor of making fun of those goofy robot frat kids as well.

+890431

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:32 am

on TLS, and especially on this forum, in terms of numbers of bros and hipsters, bros>hipsters, I think.

ealvar01

Postby ealvar01 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:47 am

There are hipsters in law school. I consider myself to be the hippest cat around and I'm going to law school. I mean, I listen to the bebop and I've even seen some people smoking the reefers. While loud music, drugs and womanizing isn't my thing, I can really dig what some of these daddy-o's are jiving on.

However, I am surprised that current applicants would be interested in such an older crowd. I'm 70 and that hipster thing hasn't been popular since Allen Ginsberg lost his testicle to a trumpeter in a bet at a jazz club in the village.

I hope this post has been helpful.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:15 am

ealvar01 wrote:There are hipsters in law school. I consider myself to be the hippest cat around and I'm going to law school. I mean, I listen to the bebop and I've even seen some people smoking the reefers. While loud music, drugs and womanizing isn't my thing, I can really dig what some of these daddy-o's are jiving on.

However, I am surprised that current applicants would be interested in such an older crowd. I'm 70 and that hipster thing hasn't been popular since Allen Ginsberg lost his testicle to a trumpeter in a bet at a jazz club in the village.

I hope this post has been helpful.

This post is full of win.

law vida loca

Postby law vida loca » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:30 am

i have been known to wear skinny jeans, some of which i have sewn myself

i find that they are easier to bike in...

i do not own a multi-storied road bike, but a ten-year-old schwinn mountain bike whom i love dearly

i do drink tecate, but i also live a couple blocks from mexico which kinda takes away the beer's "foreign twist"

i am applying to law school...beware:)

BLi

Postby BLi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 am

hi!

BLi

Postby BLi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:34 am

hi!

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:17 am

sarlis wrote:on TLS, and especially on this forum, in terms of numbers of bros and hipsters, bros>hipsters, I think.

That's because when it comes to success in life, bros>hipsters

sapp

Postby sapp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:25 am

Does linking this make me a hipster? :shock:

--LinkRemoved--

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

biv0ns wrote:
sarlis wrote:on TLS, and especially on this forum, in terms of numbers of bros and hipsters, bros>hipsters, I think.

To be fair, this analysis presupposes a bro definition of success. Maybe another definition of success is a roof party in Greenpoint and waking up in a water bed next to your best friend Margo, spent Tecate cans strewn about your wall-less tenement.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

sapp wrote:Does linking this make me a hipster? :shock:

--LinkRemoved--

No it makes you a scenester

James Bond

Postby James Bond » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:31 am

kittenmittons wrote:
biv0ns wrote:

To be fair, this analysis presupposes a bro definition of success. Maybe another definition of success is a roof party in Greenpoint and waking up in a water bed next to your best friend Margo, spent Tecate cans strewn about your wall-less tenement.

Fair enough :P

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:45 am

kittenmittons wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I fucking hate scenesters. I like some punk bands and they give me shit about not looking the part. Then I call them conformist assholes and nothing happens because I'm a pussy and so are they.

sapp

Postby sapp » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:48 am

kittenmittons wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Sweet, I'm going to go brush my hair over my face now.

I think this thread is the first time I've heard the word hipster used by someone that wasn't walking with a cane and complaining about the youth of these days. (Although some of you may walk with a cane I find it hard to believe that everyone out there does.)

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:57 am

This thread is making me understand where Chris Rock was coming from in that skit where he starts feeling nervous about overly-patriotic people making fun of others because he knows where it will invariably end up.

You know, the "I'm an American, I'm an American..." skit. Anyways... I'm guilty of making fun of hipsters as well, but, where will this end up? Law School eugenics preferring a single type of student?

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:03 pm

law vida loca wrote:i have been known to wear skinny jeans, some of which i have sewn myself

i do not own a multi-storied road bike, but a ten-year-old schwinn mountain bike whom i love dearly

i do drink tecate, but i also live a couple blocks from mexico which kinda takes away the beer's "foreign twist"

I own a 1971 Schwinn. I win.

For the record, David Byrne is the only real hipster. David Byrne is also god.

Edit: I listen to indie music, read pitchfork and the onion, and I occasionally wear vintage clothes. I've never worn skinny jeans, but I once wore an ironic mustache, although only for a week. I don't drink PBR, and honestly, if you're going for a Mexican beer, Modelo >>> Tecate. I'm a smoker. I eat meat. I am physically active. I wear aviators, not wayfarers. I love watching and playing sports, and I love sports bars. I can speak as eloquently about the fundamental problems of the BCS as I can the class politics of Vampire Weekend. Point being, I have traits that people typically associate with being a hipster, and I also have traits people associate with being a bro. So what am I? A new breed? The hipster-bro? Or am I just a douche?
Last edited by clevinger33 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law vida loca

Postby law vida loca » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 pm

clevinger33 wrote:
law vida loca wrote:i have been known to wear skinny jeans, some of which i have sewn myself

Maybe, but I did buy mine on the side of the street for only $30 and 50 pesos...

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I fucking hate scenesters. I like some punk bands and they give me shit about not looking the part. Then I call them conformist assholes and nothing happens because I'm a pussy and so are they.

What's a scenester? I am so behind on what the kids are doing these days, and I'm only 22.

echoi

Postby echoi » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:23 pm

clevinger33 wrote:
Edit: I listen to indie music, read pitchfork and the onion, and I occasionally wear vintage clothes. I've never worn skinny jeans, but I once wore an ironic mustache, although only for a week. I don't drink PBR, and honestly, if you're going for a Mexican beer, Modelo >>> Tecate. I'm a smoker. I eat meat. I am physically active. I wear aviators, not wayfarers. I love watching and playing sports, and I love sports bars. I can speak as eloquently about the fundamental problems of the BCS as I can the class politics of Vampire Weekend. Point being, I have traits that people typically associate with being a hipster, and I also have traits people associate with being a bro. So what am I? A new breed? The hipster-bro? Or am I just a douche?

Liking sports as a hipster is so ironic :lol:

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:10 pm

law vida loca wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:

Maybe, but I did buy mine on the side of the street for only $30 and 50 pesos...

Ok. You win.

clevinger33

Postby clevinger33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:16 pm

echoi wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:

You know, I think somewhere, deep down, in the middle of the Saturdays I spend in front of the TV watching college football or basketball, I realize that what I'm doing is utterly ridiculous, that it's all just a waste of time and we have this huge sociocultural establishment that has built sport up to be this idealized thing that it's most definitely not. But I'm a product of that establishment, and I grew up watching sports, and I genuinely do enjoy watching sports, so I kind of put my feelings aside most of the time.

But when it's mid-March and 100 hrs of ESPN's weekly program is dedicated to the same rehashed arguments about the NCAA tournament, seeds, bubble teams, locks, automatic bids, etc. it's kind of hard not to feel like the whole thing's kind of stupid. But I feel like the knowledge and perspective that you get just by realizing that what you're doing is in some ways very, very silly, is something to be valued, and something people don't experience that often.
Last edited by clevinger33 on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:19 pm

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:25 pm

clevinger33 wrote:
echoi wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:

You know, I think somewhere, deep down, in the middle of the Saturdays I spend in front of the TV watching college football or basketball, I realize that what I'm doing is utterly ridiculous, that it's all just a waste of time and we have this huge sociocultural establishment that has built sport up to be this idealized thing that's it most definitely not. But I'm a product of that establishment, and I grew up watching sports, and I genuinely do enjoy watching sports, so I kind of put my feelings aside most of the time.

But when it's mid-March and 100 hrs of ESPN's weekly program is dedicated to the same rehashed arguments about the NCAA tournament, seeds, bubble teams, locks, automatic bids, etc. it's kind of hard not to feel like the whole thing's kind of stupid. But I feel like the knowledge and perspective that you get just by realizing that what you're doing is in some ways very, very silly, is something to be valued, and something people don't experience that often.

I think the business of sports in america including rampant fanship, sports-figure idolatry, etc, all exploits a certain element of human nature. We're sort of hard-wired to worship something because we all, and this is universal, were helpless babies and children at one point and relied on our gods (parents/caretakers/etc) to survive. That's a hard wired element of our nature that does develop but remains exploitable. Why do you think religions use the term "father?" Why do teams need a father-figure coach? Why don't they coach themselves? Why do fans need to worship something? A lot of this is related.... and there are people that understand how to exploit it for personal gain. It's that simple. We're hard wired to worship. It's part of our primitive nature. There's also an element of group-think/group-psychology in all this but that's beyond the scope of my answer.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:29 pm

clevinger33 wrote:
echoi wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:

You know, I think somewhere, deep down, in the middle of the Saturdays I spend in front of the TV watching college football or basketball, I realize that what I'm doing is utterly ridiculous, that it's all just a waste of time and we have this huge sociocultural establishment that has built sport up to be this idealized thing that's it most definitely not. But I'm a product of that establishment, and I grew up watching sports, and I genuinely do enjoy watching sports, so I kind of put my feelings aside most of the time.

now this is full of win. but i still love you kobe

Return to “Choosing a Law School”