Hipsters in Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
elliefont

Re: Hipsters in Law School

Postby elliefont » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 am

Cupidity wrote:Someone above stated, PBR is no longer the signature beer of Hipsters, that it is Tecate

TITCR

Trader Joe's Simpler Times is making a surge in some circles. Question: most hipster Justice? I'm going with ginsburg for her lace collar and sweet frames. her studied disinterest during the State of the Union was classic.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:16 am

Cupidity wrote:Seriously though, thin wheeled bikes.

I'd pay mucho dinero to see a hipster fall off of his 2 story thin wheeled bike. (no major injury though, maybe just a cool new tear in v-neck print t-shirt) How do they get on/off of those things?

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 am

elliefont wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Someone above stated, PBR is no longer the signature beer of Hipsters, that it is Tecate

TITCR

Trader Joe's Simpler Times is making a surge in some circles. Question: most hipster Justice? I'm going with ginsburg for her lace collar and sweet frames. her studied disinterest during the State of the Union was classic.

Trader Joe's has these awesome Oreo knock-offs called Joe-Joe's that are fricken delicious.

reasonabledoubt

Postby reasonabledoubt » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 am

drsomebody wrote:Mark my words, Zima's gonna be the next big thing.

Do they still make that swill?

I just went online and bought the Zima brand name for an undisclosed amount of money under 25 dollars. In any case, I own it, and will now print retro t-shirts that I'll sell to department stores in bulk who will in turn sell to hipsters for $135 dollars. I'm going to be rich. F Law school.

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:27 am

scionb4 wrote:

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the tone of this thread in its entirety has been lighthearted or comical. I tried to be generally more light about it in my own approach, but I think that some people here expressed a bizarre hatred of people based solely on their choice of dress, which cannot be rightly explained away by saying "they were joking." Many weren't, and those that were "joking" should be conscious of the real sentiments which are informing their humor. I also agree that parts of this whole thing have seemed homophobic to me. However, parts of the thread (the lattermost portion) has been mostly upbeat and fun.[/quote]

It's not your choice of dress, it's your strict adherence to the rules set by a non-conformist counter-culture. Don't you see the irony in that? In trying to be a non-conformist, you have to more strictly conform to a group! And you wear fucking girls jeans, making it look like your smuggling pairs of grapes![/quote]

This is such a cliched view of all versions of nonconformity... the real irony is in you proclaiming the irony of it, as if you were announcing something that hadn't been observed a million times before. I don't dress the way I dress because I'm a noncomformist, and being a hipster isn't necessarily about noncomformity to my knowledge. As you can see in my previous posts, my whole argument was that we are all conforming to some sort of paradigm. That's the nature of being human in a post Renaissance world. As for girl jeans: Emo and scene kids used to wear girl jeans until their persistence in doing so led many companies to produce straight, slim and skinny jeans for men, to supply this new demand in the retail clothing market. So, to be clear, I don't wear girl jeans. If I did though, what's it to you? That's my whole point here. People seem so nonplussed, indignant, or worse, belligerent about people's style of dress.

There are things about people who are often known as hipsters which can be annoying:

-Veganism without cause
-The advocacy of any number of political movements without knowledge of the subject matter
-Condescension (though based on this thread, often merited)
-A general penchant for pseudo-intellectualism
-A feigned adoration for bands that they secretly think suck
-Etc.

Stick to these!

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 am

scionb4 wrote:
elliefont wrote:

TITCR

Trader Joe's has these awesome Oreo knock-offs called Joe-Joe's that are fricken delicious.

watch yourself! joe-joes are just a gateway product which will lead you into socially conscious vegan sausage and the ironic consumption of organic animal crackers. tread carefully in TJ's lest you catch the hipster, which we all know is a fate worse than death!

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 am

elliefont wrote:Question: most hipster Justice?

O'Connor by a landslide. Let's look at the relevant facts:

1) She quit her paying job.
2) After quitting her paying job she decided to pursue her dream of writing a children's book.
3) She relies on a "trust fund" (read senior status).
4) She spends most of her time traveling around, going to parties, and attending lectures and cultural events "just for fun."
5) She occasionally "works on her website."

Who the hell quits their job to attend parties, write a children's book, and work on their website? A hipster. That's who.
Last edited by drsomebody on Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:31 am

Damnit, I'm veganism without a cause.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 am

DanInALionsDen wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the tone of this thread in its entirety has been lighthearted or comical. I tried to be generally more light about it in my own approach, but I think that some people here expressed a bizarre hatred of people based solely on their choice of dress, which cannot be rightly explained away by saying "they were joking." Many weren't, and those that were "joking" should be conscious of the real sentiments which are informing their humor. I also agree that parts of this whole thing have seemed homophobic to me. However, parts of the thread (the lattermost portion) has been mostly upbeat and fun.

It's not your choice of dress, it's your strict adherence to the rules set by a non-conformist counter-culture. Don't you see the irony in that? In trying to be a non-conformist, you have to more strictly conform to a group! And you wear fucking girls jeans, making it look like your smuggling pairs of grapes![/quote]

This is such a cliched view of all versions of nonconformity... the real irony is in you proclaiming the irony of it, as if you were announcing something that hadn't been observed a million times before. I don't dress the way I dress because I'm a noncomformist, and being a hipster isn't necessarily about noncomformity to my knowledge. As you can see in my previous posts, my whole argument was that we are all conforming to some sort of paradigm. That's the nature of being human in a post Renaissance world. As for girl jeans: Emo and scene kids used to wear girl jeans until their persistence in doing so led many companies to produce straight, slim and skinny jeans for men, to supply this new demand in the retail clothing market. So, to be clear, I don't wear girl jeans. If I did though, what's it to you? That's my whole point here. People seem so nonplussed, indignant, or worse, belligerent about people's style of dress.

There are things about people who are often known as hipsters which can be annoying:

-Veganism without cause
-The advocacy of any number of political movements without knowledge of the subject matter
-Etc.

Stick to these![/quote]

the only way I can define hipster is a desire to create things and to appreciate what others create... these are often very simple, like an outfit or a party or a pencil drawing on a napkin, but hipsters derive great amounts of pleasure and importance from the act of creation. so much so, that many of them don't seek out traditional forms of employment, which pisses off their parents (who see them as squandering talent) or others with a stake of the status quo (apparently future lawyers included). So if you really wanna hurt hipsters, it's pretty simple: Not everyone is an andy warhol, but they all kinda wanna be. the whole ironic not ironic thing is a tired meme.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:38 am

drsomebody wrote:
elliefont wrote:Question: most hipster Justice?

O'Connor by a landslide. Let's look at the relevant facts:

1) She quit her paying job.
2) After quitting her paying job she decided to pursue her dream of writing a children's book.
3) She relies on a "trust fund" (read senior status).
4) She spends most of her time traveling around, going to parties, and attending lectures and cultural events "just for fun."
5) She occasionally "works on her website."

Who the hell quits their job to attend parties, write a children's book, and work on their website? A hipster. That's who.

ahhhhh, winner! I was thinking sitting Justice, but you have won the round.

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 am

DanInALionsDen wrote: my whole argument was that we are all conforming to some sort of paradigm. That's the nature of being human in a post Renaissance world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qANMjwLmo6Y .
Last edited by drsomebody on Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:02 am

I dress like a hipster cause that's what's cool right now

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 am

Man, did I miss some shit ITT last night. Bummer.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:00 am

this thread got way too serious after i went to bed last night around page 6. looks like his hipsters need the "bros" anyway.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

DanInALionsDen wrote:
scionb4 wrote:

I don't think it's fair or accurate to say that the tone of this thread in its entirety has been lighthearted or comical. I tried to be generally more light about it in my own approach, but I think that some people here expressed a bizarre hatred of people based solely on their choice of dress, which cannot be rightly explained away by saying "they were joking." Many weren't, and those that were "joking" should be conscious of the real sentiments which are informing their humor. I also agree that parts of this whole thing have seemed homophobic to me. However, parts of the thread (the lattermost portion) has been mostly upbeat and fun.

Like, I see that you're typing stuff, but when you started justifying wearing your sisters jeans, all I could see on the page was, "I am a huge puss!"

-Veganism without cause
-Etc.

Stick to these![/quote]

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 pm

^if you have to defend that you are not nonconformist, then you are nonconformist.

BlueCivic

Postby BlueCivic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I like hipsters. Hipsters are cool.

soullogical

Postby soullogical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:46 pm

Someone give me an example of a well known hipster or a example of hipster like behavior. Are hipsters similiar rich kids who wear Che t-shirts or like the wanna be fake Rastas I knew in college?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:49 pm

soullogical wrote:Someone give me an example of a well known hipster or a example of hipster like behavior. Are hipsters similiar rich kids who wear Che t-shirts or like the wanna be fake Rastas I knew in college?

http://www.latfh.com

Jared Leto

soullogical

Postby soullogical » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
soullogical wrote:Someone give me an example of a well known hipster or a example of hipster like behavior. Are hipsters similiar rich kids who wear Che t-shirts or like the wanna be fake Rastas I knew in college?

http://www.latfh.com

Jared Leto

Ah, I see.

spinsta

Postby spinsta » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 pm

There aren't very many hipsters at NYU (thank goodness). I guess the academic requirements of getting into a T5 school like NYU pretty much sorts most hipsters out - my guess is that the whole snarky art and media crowd with their "anti-establishment" attitude doesn't necessarily translate to a good LSAT score or a quality legal resume.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:57 pm

spinsta wrote:There aren't very many hipsters at NYU (thank goodness). I guess the academic requirements of getting into a T5 school like NYU pretty much sorts most hipsters out - my guess is that the whole snarky art and media crowd with their "anti-establishment" attitude doesn't necessarily translate to a good LSAT score or a quality legal resume.

It's pretty much self selection. NYU lets in anyone with a good LSAT and a not terrible GPA (that precludes me though fml). And a good LSAT is just intelligence and 4 weeks of solid effort.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:40 pm

I find it ironic that hipsters/goths/emos/other stuck up cry baby douche bags from the suburbs/rich areas of big cities call so many things "cliché" that the act of doing so has become . . . a cliché. :?

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm

Perhaps the most important question we should ask about the hipster and law school is not so much where it would attend, but rather, what would a hipster do with a legal education if a hipster were to try and get one?

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:49 pm

Joga Bonito wrote:Perhaps the most important question we should ask about the hipster and law school is not so much where it would attend, but rather, what would a hipster do with a legal education if a hipster were to try and get one?

Enact legal action against other nonconformist individuals for trademark infringement? I.E., sue other dirty hipsters for trying to steal his/her style?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”